1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it a good idea to have 2 Power amps to bi-amp the front 2 speakers ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by deaf cat, Apr 21, 2005.

1. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hiya,

Wanted to hear a few points of view, look forward to hearing any comments.

I have an Arcam AVR200 5.1 amp. Fronts are run from the pre-amp outs via a Rega Maia3 power amp.

The fronts sounds better when bi-wired from the Rega :clap:
    and not so good when bi-amped with top end from Arcam and bottom from the Rega.

Do you think it would make a difference getting another Rega and bi-amping the fronts via 2 Regas ??

Appreciate any comments :thumbsup: ,

Cheers

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Never tried bi-amping with two totally different amps , but (in my best spock voice) logic dictates that its probably not going to work very well as the amps have different character. You need two Regas or two Arcams. Yes it does work, especially at higher volumes, as you wind the volume up the amplifier expends its energy in the Bass department which can leave the upper frequencies slightly muddled/ragged. Having two seperate amps can help this and give a smoother sound, so its probably worth a try, but it can depend on your speakers allowing true bi-amping, some dont as they dont seperate the Xover circuits.

3. Jules Tohpipi

Jules Tohpipi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    By using two different power amps, from two different makes, then you have entered yourself into a technical lottery - hoping that the two match.

Your results would seem to indicate that they don't !

To bi-amp, both the amps must have the same gain structure, and the same phase characteristics. One amp may have a higher gain than the other, and one of the amps might be phase inverting.

Bi-amping nearly always improves the sound. If you like the sound of one Rega amp bi-wiring your speakers, then it's 99% likely that you'll like even more the sound of two Rega amps.

You would need a blinding bit of technical good luck for a Rega and Arcam power amp to work together properly in a bi-amp situation.

4. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    When I had the Arcam powering the top end and the Rega the bottom it sounded quite strange, volumes seemed to be the same, just that the top seemed to have slightly more sparkle and sounded slower, the bottom had more punch and seemed to run slightly faster, which was very weard to listen to.

Hence the decision to bi-wire from the Rega, both top and bottom keep up with the fast dance tracks-with a nice bit of weight behind it, and the sparkle shines through to make the relaxing jazzie / chill out tracks relaxing and pleasent.

So, it should be OK technically to connect another Rega from the existing Rega's outputs to then bi-amp through the 2 Regas - fingers crossed ??

And the sound should improve.......Yes.......

Cheers for any more thoughts

Oh almost forgot and how would I tell if my speakers are split inside.

5. Jules Tohpipi

Jules Tohpipi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Yes, that's right. Two Rega's is the way forward.

6. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Ask the manufacturer if they are suitable for bi-amping. Ask if the Xover is split so that there is no interaction between the tweeter circuitry and the bass units circuitry. If thats not possible for some reason you would have to take a peak inside. Normally ivolves removing the large driver and stripping out some wadding.

7. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Had a look in the speaker instruction book and nothing is mentioned about Xover, but there are wiring pictures:

- for single wire connections from speaker to amp using "shorting links" (connects the two +ve connections together on the back of the speaker and another link connects the two -ve cons.)

- bi-wiring, no shorting links [as I have it now]

- bi-amping, no shorting links and two amps.

Do you think they would need the "shorting links" if it was all connected inside ?

Bit of a wimp I know - worried about disassembling them just incase a bit drops out and I break them somehow.