1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is It A Digital Con, Farce Whatever.

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Garrett, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,200
    I was talking with a mate this morning and he was saying that a dealer was telling him with the uptake of the digi box being so great the terrestrial signal could be sooner than later switched off. (The time when is not really the point of the thread though).
    The point is although when the weather is fine digital on TV is good, you can tell the weather by it sometimes. How many times have you been watching digital and the picture has gone blocky/ pixilation, frozen or disappeared all together because it is raining. At least with terrestrial when you have atmospherics you still have a picture to watch.

I was also reading about BBC7 and they were saying there transitions over DAB was in mono as some of the programs were in that format, so they decided to transmit in that format to free space for other transitions is digital airwaves so scarce?.

The government are going to sell of the terrestrial frequencies yet what are we getting in return? Technology that when everything is right is very good but soon can be put out of kilter. Also how many homes have more than one TV or piece of equipment that receives terrestrial signals? Are we going to be compensated for defunct equipment? I think not. we will have to go out and but new also adding to the coffers of the government with the VAT.
    So it looks like a win, win situation for them and a loose, loose for us.

PS has anyone noticed on terrestrial the occasional pixilation of pictures, as though they are using digital somewhere on the loop.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I assume the boom in DTT/Freeview sales are what would bring the analogue shutoff come closer not the take up of Dsat services which do work fine 99.99% of the time assuming they are installed correctly.

An optimist like myself still can't see any major analogue shutdown in the next five years (maybe some phased regional) simply down to the numbers who would still only have analogue services.
    There is no doubt that the market led approach can only go so far and the time will come when the government will have to offer cheap hardware/tax breaks/subsidies etc to make the transition as smooth as possible. They then can recoup all of this money and a hell of a lot more when they sell off the old analogue frequencies for digital TV, Radio, Telecoms use.

The Berlin experiment has many excellent points so much so that even the US government have studied it as a viable approach for their digital switch over.

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,200
    I get very poor reception in heavy rain from my sat box and the signal strengths are in the right place. Although some channels are not affected some are.
    I also find it strange that my parents have a digi box and there aerial points directly at a transmitter and even when the weather is fine the picture can freeze up.
    I also wonder why there is not much in the line of digital signal recorders either video or DVD recorders.
    I’m also wish the government had put a cap on the number of channels rather than allowing a lot with weak signals.
    Never mind the quality feel the width.
    I had at one time BSB with D-Mac and that was the best ever picture I have ever seen and was better than D-Mac2, even with 6 inches of snow on the squaerial.

4. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you think theyre ever give us High Definition Digital with 5.1 sound ?

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I sure hope they do, Foxy. Using new codecs like VC-9 or H.264 instead of bandwidth-hogging MPEG2, there should be plenty of room for several HD channels with 5.1 sound.

Steve

6. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Whenever the weather worsens where I live the only digital signal to suffer in my house is $ky, digital terrestrial has remained stable throughout, even when the signal has had to negotiate some very large cumulo nimbus clouds.

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    SInce the last round of Sutton power increases over a year ago I have not lost DTTV at all.

8. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    It's not always the transmission/weather at fault.
    The build quality of some of these cheap freeview stbs may contribute to the reception problems.

9. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The Pace is well made and the TV board is also rather well shielded and robust

10. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Am I alone in thinking that, even in good reception conditions, D.T.T.V picture quality leaves a lot to be desired.

I don't have freeview myself but my parents have got a Panasonic iDTV with a good arial and don't suffer any losses of signal etc. Static images look fine to me, but as soon as anything moves, or the camera pans, the edges go slightly 'fizzy'. These are particularly noticeable and quite distracting if you're sat within 2m of the set (28in).

I'd assumed these were MPEG artifacts and were inherant in the system. Might it be something else (poor signal or not the best TV) ?

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,200
    The frizzy could be because the TV is set for some form of digital processing to improve the picture but it often can leave an after effect on moving objects. Generally most people in the know switch it off.

12. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks, I'll have another play with it next time I visit, I thought that I'd turned AI & sharpness off when I helped them set it up when they got it but I'll have another check.

13. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I don't know how it is done but the early 50Hz Sony IDTVs like mine have a very good DTTV picture - it appears to try to mask mosquito noise

14. captainH

captainH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    That's true. When I changed my old on-digital box for a sony freeview decoder it was a revelation. My digital reception is perfect all the time now - no more strange artifcating, red dots or squeaking noises. With the old box many channels were unwatchable much of the time.

15. magicmushrooms

magicmushrooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know what digital terrestrial is like in bad weather but with Sky the harder it rains the more pixelation, picture freezing and eventually no picture/signal whatsoever.

If digital terrestrial is just like that then the terrestrial shut down should be delayed until the improvements can be made. In this day and age you expect a picture no matter what the weather! well 99.99 % of the time

16. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Dsat of course sends a signal of 50-100watts 25,000 miles which is picked up by a small dish, it's stretching the technology for a domestic application but assuming everything is installed correctly then the system works. However many installations are poor quality and too many people accept the loss of signal in bad weather to be the norm when it isn't.
    Short of having fixed ground mounted dishes the same size as used by broadcasters and other concerns there is little to be done, as you would expect this isn't a viable option afer all many people balked at a 60cm dish for analogue.

If you are losing signal in anything but torrential rain/snow then you might consider a Zone2 minidish (recommended for northern and western locations) also check the quality and positioning of the LNB and cable condition.
    Simply put the higher quality/strength readings you have in clear weather the more you can lose the signal in bad weather before the error correction is overwhelmed and the signal is lost.