is it a bad time to buy/build a new pc ?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by tim68, Dec 29, 2018.

1. tim68

tim68

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +162
      hi all

question as above really

last time I built a new PC was about 4 years ago with help and advice through this forum and was looking to put a new build together, last time I was able to put a modest build at around 600 with a GPU added later to take the total at 750. now jump forward 4 years I am pushing close to 500 already and that is without a new GPU, I can strip out the old PC for the psu, case, HDD's and use the old GPU in the mean time, if I had to buy those I'm sure I would spend a lot more than previous. just my own thoughts.

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
      Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
      Ratings:
      +11,073
      The right time to build a PC is when you want a new PC.

There won't ever be the 'right time' or a 'bad time'. You can always hold off for the next new CPU, GPU etc, but if you did that then you would never buy anything.

What resolution are you looking to play at and what games do you play? That's the key factor. No point spending over a grand if you only play in 1080P, like wise a £500 PC will be no good if you want to do 1440P or even 4K.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    3. tim68

tim68

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +162
      Thanks Greg

I still play at 1080 and doubt I would go any higher to be honest, I'm not a heavy pc gamer and the titles I play mostly are City Skylines (modded), Anno series, Surviving Mars and Planet Coaster. also indulge in light video editing. also acts as media server due to my NAS going belly up recently

I would like to build a new PC around the Ryzen 5 2600, maybe a little overkill for my current needs but would be nice to have the power should my needs ever change going forward in the near future.

4. sammy20v

sammy20v

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +138
      I am waiting until amd announce 3000 series at ces. That extra clock frequency will really help single thread performance.

5. Delvey

Delvey
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,810
      My ryzen 2600 upgrade cost me £350. Can be had cheaper as the motherboard was £100. Is it worth it? Definitely for me. You don't mention what you have currently, but my upgrade allows me to play Battlefield 5 at 1080p on ultra instead of medium

6. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +24,940
      From his post in the spec me a pc thread on boxing day

Spec me a gaming PC... (Updated 02/08/2016)

7. Delvey

Delvey
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,810
      In that case then yes. We all know that you can wait for the next new thing, but then the next new thing is around the corner. If he upgraded now with ryzen, and bought a decent GPU (say Vega 64, RTC 2070) would this last him 3 or 4 years? I would say so. My old 290x can still play Battlefield V with me new setup on ultra, and I have a 75hz monitor. You could wait until AMD release new Cous, but then you could be waiting to see what Intel do. Maybe wait until CES next month to decide.

8. duncfunk

duncfunk

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +458
      I'd absolutely go for the Ryzen 5 2600. I got the cpu, mobo and 16Gb of RAM on Black Friday for £295 on Amazon. Strip out the old machine and sell the components which should net you £100-150. Pair it with a 1060 or RX580 for £200 and you're well set for 1080 resolution at ultra settings.

9. tim68

tim68

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +162
      thanks for the input everyone and much appreciated

can I ask about M.2 sata/PCIE storage and what it means, as it's confusing the hell out of me lol, on the motherboard specs it states the following (Gigabyte B450-I Auros Pro Wifi) on Overclockers website

Storage Chipset:
      - 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and PCIe 3.0 x4/x2 SSD support)
      -1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280 PCIe 3.0 x2 SSD support)
      - 6 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors-Support for RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10

I would like the following, 970 EVO Polaris 500GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive, will it fit the above board and work as a bootable drive for Windows 10 ?

going to use current PSU, case and GPU till more cash becomes available.

10. Delvey

Delvey
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,810
      Yes it will work. My understanding is that you have something in the second PCIe lane (a second GPU for example) then it will share the bandwidth with the M2 drive.

11. THX1138UK

THX1138UK

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +159
      As a general guide, it's always worth knowing what the your predicted workloads are going to be and where current bottlenecks lie, before deciding to do a wholesale upgrade. By far the biggest performance boost (to any system) is replacing a spinning hard disk drive with a a solid state drive. SSDs are now so affordable - it's worth doing even on systems several years old.

CPUs have not been evolving at a significant rate for the last few generations. If games are a primary reason for considering an upgrade, then by just replacing the graphics adapter card with something newer may well be enough to extend the usability of the system for a few more years.

Again, if you know that graphics are the bottleneck, it's more cost effective to direct all your money on the one thing you know needs replacing, rather than replacing other components that are still perfectly adequate.

Regards,
      James.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    12. stuart07970

stuart07970

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +344
      Eleven posts and no mention of Brexit?:laugh:

13. Trollslayer

Trollslayer