Is Isopromyl OK for cleaning LPs

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by arbin, Sep 5, 2007.

1. arbin

arbin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have unearthed some old LPs that have not been played for years. I also came across an unused oblong cleaning pad and a bottle of Isopromyl alcohol that was used to clean the stylus. The cleaning pad has two small holes into which a suitable LP cleaning fluid can be dripped. Is Isopromyl suitable for cleaning the LPs. I have been in several Hi Fi dealers but they only have complete (and expensive) kits. I will only play the LPs once as I copy them into my PC for editing and burning to disc

2. dazza1011

dazza1011

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    for what its worth i used to cleam mine with lighter fluid and a soft cloth and it never did them any harm.

just dont smoke while your doing it:D

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,306
    Yes. Isopropyl alcohol will clean them. You need to ensure you mop up thoroughly before it evaporates, though, otherwise it will leave the filth behind in an even more noisy state than before.

When I'm remaking my vinyl, I actually play the records while still wet. I use 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and distilled water. Hasn't done any harm to the cartridge/stylus and it does give a cleaner sound.

CARE: Except some/few early US pressings which were made from acetate. These will dissolve in alcohol as will 78's. Test an insignificant area, say, near the lead-out groove first.

4. co55ie

co55ie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Dont use isporpoyl or any other alcohol based fluid and dont use a cloth or any of the products on the market.

The very best way to clean old dusty records is to fill a bowl up with lukewarm water and a small anount of washing up liquid . Have another bowl filled with just lukewarm water to rinse the records in.

Gently rotate the record in the washing up liquid solutin bowl and then rinse in the clear water avoiding getting the label wet. Let the record dry naturally leaning it up against something so both sides can dry at the same time.

This is the very best way to clean records and also the kindest as the dirt is gently lifted out of the grooves by the washing up liquid solution and the rotation motion you apply while the record is in the bowl without the need for you to actually wipe scrub or touch the vinyl itself which will do damage no matter how careful you are. All your doing with a cloth etc etc is rubbing dirt further into the grooves.

5. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,238
    Err, I would be careful of that method too. Plain old tapwater contains so many minerals and once it dries those deposits are left behind (thats why you have to use a chamois leather to polish the spots off your cars paintwork after washing it). Washing up liquid contains a fair proportion of salt as a wetting agent which is something to avoid getting stuck in the record grooves.

Best thing to do is buy a Knosti record cleaning machine which is about £40 and the special fluid comes with it.

6. co55ie

co55ie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sorry I should have added to use demineralised water ensuring its luke warm as cold or hot water can cause vinyl to warp.

I have been cleaning my vinyl for over 20 years using this method and not once has it caused any damage to a single record and has given better results than any record cleaning machine, fluid or cloth.

I used to work as a club DJ and my vinyl was regularly exposed to some nasty environements and got filthy. A quick wash and they played like new and still do.

7. arbin

arbin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys. I did wonder about a wet wash but as I already have Isopromyl, and it will be a one off clean, I'll take the cheapest way out (rightly or wrongly) and use the cleaning pad.

8. Arfa

Arfa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I read somewhere on another forum about how you can clean vinyl with PVA glue. The guy smeared it thinly across the record, then let it dry for a couple of hours, then peeled it all off along with the crap. Google it. There was a big discussion as to which PVA brand was best, whether to dilute it, whether to glue on paper handles to aid pulling it off etc. Again vinyl only, no 78's or acetate.
    Sounds mental and very risky, but they all claimed good result. Been meaning to try it one day on some of my cheap charity shop bargains.