Is iPad 2's wifi better than iPhone 4's?

joeylennon

Novice Member
Hi there,

I've noticed that my iPhone's wifi speed is not as good as my laptop's. If I'm in a room further from my router or with walls in the way I struggle to stream YouTube or radio stations. While my laptop has no problem.
Is this down to the iPhone's network adaptor not being as good as my laptop's?
Is the iPad's network adaptor more like laptop quality or like iPhone quality?

Thank you.

Joe.

next010

Distinguished Member
Laptops tend to have more powerful radios than mobile devices, the iPad 2 from my own experience doesn't fair any better than iPhone's in area's with poor wireless signals.

If you have an Apple router the best thing to do is purchase some cheap homeplugs which send ethernet over power cables and get an Airport Express and have it extend your wireless network over ethernet. The AE provides wireless coverage in the dead zone and this works much better than wireless only extenders as it sends the data through ethernet back to the router.

joeylennon

Novice Member
Thank you. I will look into that.
Two further questions If I may.

Are there any such solutions if I don't have an Apple router (mine is Linksys)?

Are there any tablet PCs which have wifi capabilities similar to a laptop?

Thanks.

next010

Distinguished Member
Are there any such solutions if I don't have an Apple router (mine is Linksys)?

Linksys make a wireless extender called the RE1000 but it has a reputation for being very difficult to setup. Another option are the homeplug/wifi access point combo's like this or this, it will give you the similar setup as Airport/Homeplug but you will have a second wireless network running which the iPhone should in theory lock onto when it's the strongest signal but how well that works is hard to say, you can always manually switch.

Are there any tablet PCs which have wifi capabilities similar to a laptop?

I'm not sure, radios burn power so I would guess most tablets are conservative in this area like the iPad.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom