1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IS IDTV CRAP THEN?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by fuzzy1, Jul 21, 2001.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is idtv crap then im getting no replys to my two recent posts about the panny tx-32dt2 and the sony kv-32dx30 would like to know if anyone has one of these sets.want to know which ones best for picture and sound quality and dvd playback i have a reg 1 player,i know the sony set is 50hz do you really need 100hz and are idtv's futureproof even if it lasts me 10 years or so :confused:

2. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I decided against an integrated digital TV. I've got an NTL set-top box which works fine.

Personally I think that IDTVs are still very new technology. The set-top box can be upgraded etc. to expand with future technology. Not so sure that IDTVs can be as easily.

Also, aren't all IDTvs tied in to using ITV Digital?

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes it is ondigital which is now itv digital
    i just cant seem to find a 32in set with what i want on it i wish hcc would review more 32in sets each month so many new ones out and they only cover 1 a month and to know more about idtv and futureproof i dont want alll the channels cos a lot r rubbish and itv digital has the ones that will do me mainly sports,sky1

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am the owner of a dx30,i only use the free to air on digital chanells,plus sky digital,picture quality is very good,even more so with digital t.v and dvd.
    Colours are very vibrant,reds can be a bit bright at times,even after using a set up disc,the 50hz is pretty good also not any worse than my last phillips 100hz.
    Sound from the t.v is pure crap,dont even consider buying this set unlesss you have a seperate sound system.

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Fuzzy, I have a Sony kp-41ds1 idtv, the picture was pretty good but since Ondigital changed to ITVDigital the picture has degraded, they seem to have lowered the bitrate on some channel's to accommodate new channel's.

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have got a Sony KV32DX20 and it is a very good TV

The DX30 is quite good, for normal TV the sound is ok.

I prefer the styling of the DX20

Just remember BBC is better picture via DVB-T over DVB-S, and SOny don't do an Ondigital box (now). So if you want the best BBC/ITV you can get a Sony IDTV.

Sony IDTV better than Nokia Mediamaster!

7. PeteM

PeteM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've also got a DX20, and don't regret buying it. However it is definately not perfect - the software is a bit buggy and its a bit slow. Things to be aware of:

- Timer function for timeshifting is tempermental, i.e starts at the wrong time, sometime doesn't bother starting at all, once it decided that I really wanted to record a different channel!

- Can't get 2 Way TV games channel (probably not missing much!).

- Slow at changing channels, especially encrypted channels. It takes ages to decode them, which is not good for channel hopping.

- Digital teletext has a habit of crashing (try getting into the Airline Flight listings on the Teletext channel).

- Digital tuner can lockup (toggle between an analogue channel and back to reset).

- Switching to an encrypted channel, and then switching to another channel before it has time to decode, often results in no sound!

- Aspect ratio of digital tuner is locked to display mode. As an example try recording a widescreen digital program out to video, whilst watching another source such as DVD. If the aspect ratio of the other source is different i.e 4:3, then the widescreen program you are recording will also be forced to 4:3, hence you have to be very careful when taping anything.

- Occasional sound glitches (like a momentary dropout or stutter), appears to affect lower bitrate channels such as Sky 1 more.

- Can't access On Request services as there's no way to select a film you want to order (no maping to "Guide" button on the remote)!

The set is supposed to get over the air upgrades, however I have noticed no improvement in service since having my Sony hardware upgrade last March.

As I said above, I don't regret buying this set, the picture quality is better than what you get from an STB, however I really wish that Sony would get their act together and sort out some of these bugs!

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Didn't know that tuner follows screen format - I thought it was permanent 16x9.

Also rather have Sonys EPG than the Guide button

9. cycomiko

cycomiko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased the sony idtv model number KV28Dx30 to complement my Playstation 2.

The picture quality is good, but prone to breaking up at certain times.

The biggest problem I have experienced, and one which I have not yet resolved is that on connecting the PS2, the picture generates a black band on the right hand side, about 1/2 inch wide. This is alleviated by using the RGB input, but does not occur with DVD playback, only games.

I have tried the PS2 with another tv and the problem does not occur.

I have logged the problem with sony and am awaiting a reply.

Can anyone help, please?