Is I-link in worth £100 extra ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dmccormick, May 25, 2004.

1. dmccormick

dmccormick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am about to buy a camcorder and a DVD recorder and wondering if I-link in on the DVDR would be really useful or just nice to have.

I have Sky+ so main use of DVD recorder is to backup Sky recorded material and old VHS tapes. I expect if I wanted to do real editing of camcorder footage I would use my PC and i-link. I think therefore would only need to connect camera to DVD recorder if I didn't want to bother editing and was just copying entire tape footage.

So the question is whether I-link is still useful (e.g. gives better picture quality) to have on the DVD recorder.

I am thinking of the sony DCR-HC40E as camcorder and either Panasonic DMR-E55 (about £230) with no I-link or the DMR-E65 (about £350) which has it.

This is my first digital camcorder so I haven't used I-link before and am not sure how useful it is.

Advice appreciated.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Well as you say, the only use for the iLink is to connect a digital camcorder to the DVD recorder. If you are going to use this feature then it is well worth the extra money IMO. But if you will do all the editing and disk creation on the PC then you may as well save yourself ~£100 and get the model without iLink.

Mark.

3. dmccormick

dmccormick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark. I think on that basis I will go for the DMR-E55 as it seems to be the best of the bunch for DVD recorders around £250-300.

4. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you intend to edit on PC and write on PC burner, than you don't need Ilink, otherwise how you think to copy from HDD or PC to the DVD-R?

If you have DV camera it is absolutly needed to have Ilink.
    For example to copy all tapes to watch them. It is kind a hard to watch them from the camera. To make copy to a friend and so.

5. dmccormick

dmccormick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank EN. I was intending to edit on PC and burn to disk there so I link on the DVD-R still not required. Having said that, I have decided to go for the Pioneer DVR-320 in the end which does have I-link as it also has RGB in and out.