Is HTPC the route for me?

jace22

Novice Member
:hiya:Right first off this is my first post in this area of the forums so a big hello to all you guys.

Now heres my problem I have had the same PC for 9yrs ( targa visionary from lidl) Its starting to die little by little, so I think its time for a new PC but I am not sure if I should go the HTPC.

My uses are as following would use it for surfing web, download and watching TV Series, watching and burning DVDs and maybe Blu Ray this is not a must have as I have a stand alone.

Now the PC will be situated in the bedroom and will be used there for general surfing (connected by VGA to my 32" LCD) but I would also like it to be connected to my Denon 1909 ( Which is connect to my 50"panny plasma) via HDMI wich is downstairs, would a 10meter HDMI lead be suffice for this ie. could it pass video and audio to my amp without any problems. also what would be my options for controling the pc from downstairs could i just use a wirless keyboard / mousse combo with a 10 metre usb extension or are there any remotes that would do this ( I dont think bluetooth would be an option cause all my internal walls are concrete or brick)

also i would like to store my dvd and tv show collection (1tb should be suffice) on the pc and have seen some of your guys screen shots of the tv art and movie art (what software is this )and this does really appeal to me. one more thing i am not a gamer and have never yes never played a game on a pc
also cosmetic wise some of the htpc are flassy but as it is going the bedroom this would not matter so much.

so my question to you guys do you think i need a full blown HTPC or just normal build PC with some tweaks for my uses

also any suggestions on spec / software would be greatley appreciated as I am a novice to HTPC and also where is the best place to buy the components I have in the past used Novatech, Ebuyer.

and also if anyone would like to give their suggestions or even put together a nice setup for me please feel free and thankyou
budget hopefully around £450 or if it can be done, less

thanks in advance for the help guys
JACE22

Last edited:

jace22

Novice Member
Right after posting done a little research and have come up withthe following I would appreciate your feedback on what could be improved and what could be cut back on also if I have missed anything

As said above main uses are going to be web surfing, watching torrent TV shows standard definition, the odd dvd upstairs. however I want to be able to watch my TV Shows downstairs ( at the moment i am burning them as data and watching them downstairs on my divx player)

so will the below system be able to output dual screen
(HDMI picture and Audio downstairs) thinking of using a 10 metre HDMI Cable also a 10 metre USB extension for use with a wireless keyboard/mouse combo
and
(VGA and jack to 2rca upstairs)

Spec:

MOBO Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G Socket AM2+ onboard VGA 8 channel audio mATX Motherboard £65.89 Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G Socket AM2+ onboard VGA 8 channel audio mATX Motherboard - Ebuyer

CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 5050e, Socket AM2, Dual Core, 2.6GHz, 512KB x 2 Cache, Retail £51.95 ADH5050DOBOX - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5050e, Socket AM2, Dual Core, 2.6GHz, 512KB x 2 Cache, Retail - Scan.co.uk

RAM Crucial 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL6 Lifetime Warranty £27.23 Crucial 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL6 Lifetime Warranty - Ebuyer

HDD Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB Hard Drive SATAII *32MB Cache* £78.19 Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB Hard Drive SATAII *32MB Cache* - OEM - Ebuyer

CASE Casecom Black Mid Tower Case - Front Blue LED 120mm Fan - With Side Window £21.12 Casecom Black Midi Tower Case - Cheap at Ebuyer!

PSU Arctic Power 500W PSU With PCI-E 2x SATA, 20+4 ATX12V 8pin +12V Connectors - Retail Boxed £28.98 Arctic Power 500W PSU With PCI-E 2x SATA, 20+4 ATX12V 8pin +12V Connectors - Retail Boxed - Ebuyer

DVD RW Sony DRU-V200S 20X DVD?RW DL & DVD-RAM Serial ATA - Retail Black & Silver Bezel & Nero £16.56 Sony DRU-V200S 20X DVD±RW DL & DVD-RAM Serial ATA - Retail Black & Silver Bezel & Nero - Ebuyer

Total so far is £289.92 plus any delivery charges

So there it is a few questions for you, Is the CPU fan that is supplied good enough or should I invest in an alternative also what software should I go for given the intended use, I really want to try the media portal software and the mytvshows and mymovies plugins with the fan art.

so there you are hope that now i have done a bit more research you guys will help and give me your advice on how to improve.

spyder viewer

The system you've put together is a good start although others may suggest alternatives. It is difficult to say if this mobo will drive a satisfactory signal down to your denon but if it doesn't then boosters are not expensive.

I used to use an RF MCE remote control that would happily control my HTPC from another room and provided your floors are only timber and plasterboard I see no reason why it shouldn't work for you.

XP will probably do all you need as you are basically only using the machine as a server.

The CPU fan supplied will work fine as you won't be stretching your machine. Whether or not the case fans are a little loud I can't say but unless you will be watching movies in your bedroom, that shouldn't be a problem.

Can't help with your application software.

jace22

Novice Member
THANKS spyder
would it be too much ask for you to post a link the RCE for me please.
Didnt consider the possibillity of the motherboard being unable to send a signal over distance what sort of problems could/would that cause and what are the solutions that you would recomend

spyder viewer

THANKS spyder
would it be too much ask for you to post a link the RCE for me please.
Didnt consider the possibillity of the motherboard being unable to send a signal over distance what sort of problems could/would that cause and what are the solutions that you would recomend
I had one of these but i wore it out after 2 years! Automated Home - X10 Launch New RF Remote for Windows Media Centre

Put RF MCE REMOTE into google. Alternatively, how about an RF keyboard?

If the mobo cant drive the cable length then you may get picture/sound degradation: just put in a booster (google again).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom