1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Hitachi 42PMA400E HDTV COMPITABLE PLASMA?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Ninjaman, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Ninjaman

Ninjaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Does it support NSTC: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i through the component inputs?

Is there any up conversion?

2. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it does support them, ie it will display them. It is the 42PD3000 that wont accept HD inputs..

With respect to your second question theres a whole thread devoted to the discussion of what ALiS Panels will display called 'How Bad Is ALiS? Interlacing?, Flicker?, PAL' on this very page.

3. Ninjaman

Ninjaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers Tbrar

-----------Found this at AVS Forums FAQ------------

What is ALIS?
    ALiS stands for Alternate Lighting of Surfaces. It is a way to increase vertical screen resolution on a plasma display while maintaining brightness (by allowing bigger pixels) and keeping number of components and therefore costs down.

Existing Alis screens have 1024X1024 discrete pixels but they are addressed in an interlaced manner so every 60th of a second all pixels on the odd rows get addressed followed in the next 60th of a second by the pixels in all the even rows. As was mentioned, this is an interlaced method of display but is still better than CRT direct view as in CRT the electron beam has to scan lines one by one. With ALiS all odd lines are lit simultaneously then all even lines are lit simultaneously.

How this is done is that the odd and even rows share electrodes. In non ALiS displays each row of pixels has a dedicated pair of electrodes so that every row can be addressed simultaneously to produce a progressive display.

With ALiS, the bottom electrode of a row of pixels would also be the top electrode of the next row and so on. What this means in practice is that a row of pixels cannot be lit at the same time as the row next to it because the shared electrode can only be used for one of the two adjacent rows. Hence the interlaced nature of this display.

The following list describes how different sources are displayed with ALiS (thank you to TrainerDave):

720p: each field downconverted to 512 rows

480p: each field is slightly upconverted to 512 rows

480i: each field is upconverted to 512 rows,

1080i: each field is cut (not downconverted) from 540 to 512 rows [/list] 720p is displayed in 1024 by 512 *resolution* spread over 1024 rows of pixels.

So the 1024 by 1024 is "used" to display a 1024x512 - resolution image. For progressive sources the resolution that you actually see is 1024X512. 1080i is displayed in its native vertical resolution over 1024x1024 pixels. Each field that comes in is shown on its own 1024 x 512 interlaced pixels.

ALiS is supposed to be perfect for a 1080i source as the vertical resolution nearly matches up. You simply lose a few rows top and bottom instead of having the image vertically scaled so there are also no scaling issues. Plus the source is interlaced anyway. In practice though this does not seem to bear out.

There are a number of posts about the Fujitsu 4233(852X480 progressive) vs. 4242(ALiS) and most people observe that HD or other images were noticeably better on the non ALiS panel which lists at $2000 less. This could be the result of better black levels on the 4233 or different scaling requirements but it is highly recommended that you compare yourself before buying an AliS 1024X1024 panel as most people here prefer the 852X480 panels. The only people that really prefer the AliS panels are those that can see the pixel structure on the 852X480 panels. But that is another topic!

4. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    And darn fine it is too with a Hi Def signal input - as Wiry will also confirm - knocks our $ky and Freeview broadcasts into a cocked hat, that's for sure..

Regards.