1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Hitachi 42PD5200 HD ready?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by lasitha, Mar 28, 2005.

1. lasitha

lasitha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Comet are doing this for £1999 (web £1968). John Lewis will price match it (normal JL price £2795). Sounds like a very good price. A recent review in What Plasma said it was "Hi-Def future proof". Does it mean it is HD ready?.

Thanks
    Lasitha

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Depends on what you mean by HD ready - it may or may not (there has AFAIK, been no definitive announcement) be compatible with Sky's new HiDef service.
    You can, however, connect it to a PC and what HiDef WMV files.

HTH

John

3. lasitha

lasitha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    According to Digital Spy, Sky will use both 720P (50) and 1080I (25). Accrding to Hitachi, this will support "480i, 480p, 576i, 575p, 720p, 1080i (50/60)".

Does this mean that the PD5200 will be able to receive Sky (or any other) Hi Def services?.

Lasitha

4. Bengbeng

Bengbeng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Ah, nice thread to put my question in:

Last week I saw the 42PD5200 vs the 42PD4200 (non hd), hanging next to each other with a Euro1080 broadcast on both. Imo, there was hardly any difference in pq between the two, the hd broadcast looked just as sharp and nice on the 4200 as on the 5200. Next to the 5200 was a Pioneer435, with the same hd broadcast on it. Here the same story; the 4200 didn't loose in terms like sharpness.

Now i'm somehow confused if i need a 'hd' screen, is it because the current 42" hd screens cannot do 720p NATIVE that there is hardly any difference in pq? :rolleyes:

5. lasitha

lasitha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Does this mean if I want real "HD Ready" (as defined by EICTA), I should wait for a newer model?.

Lasitha

6. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +678
    Sky's newest plasma is a rebadged 42pd5200, which they are selling for £2799 on their website.I'm sure they were selling it as a high def compatible display in their magazine a couple of months ago but there's no sign of it being high def now on the website or magazine so maybe it isn't going to work with Sky's HD service, now that the official HD Ready specs have been released.