• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is HDR10 to Dolby Vision update worth it

Comalley2018

Novice Member
Hi all,

I have a Panasonic GX1500 and a Panasonic UB420 4K Blu Ray Player. I just wanted to know if the leap in picture quality from HDR10 to Dolby Vision is worth me updating my 4K player.

Thanks,

Christian

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
I think that HDR10 gives a better overall picture, because the light levels do not continually change, something I find quite annoying with DV. In any event, to my eyes, the differences are minimal.

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
I think that HDR10 gives a better overall picture, because the light levels do not continually change, something I find quite annoying with DV. In any event, to my eyes, the differences are minimal.
That is not something I've ever seen in watching over 125 DV UHDs. Are you saying you get fluctuating light levels within the same scene? Any UHDs in particular? What TV?

gibbsy

My OLED doesn't have DV. You don't miss what you don't have and I won't be changing the TV until the five year warranty expires. A lot can depend on the quality of your TV as much as the player you are going to use for DV.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
That is not something I've ever seen in watching over 125 DV UHDs. Are you saying you get fluctuating light levels within the same scene? Any UHDs in particular? What TV?

I do see some fluctuating levels when watching DV content on Netflix with DV content. Not so much watching DV discs, as I recall. My TV is a non-OLED LG.

sebna

You need right TV for it but once you have it is well worth it. 4k could not exist at all for me but HDR is a game changer.

FevreDream

I've always thought DV was overrated, HDR10 is fine.

dts

Distinguished Member
HDR is static metadata so it doesn't adjust on a scene by scene basis...Dolby vision does.I much prefer dolby vision personally.But again it depends on the tv...im using a oled and dolby vision seems to work better on oled.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom