Is HDR10+ dead on arrival?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by kiran_mk2, Jan 9, 2019.

1. kiran_mk2

kiran_mk2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Now Panasonic has adopted Dolby Vision support it means 3 of the main 4 brands support it along with TCL, Hisense, Vizio (US), Philips (US only), B&O and Loewe. The main hold-outs are now Samsung and TP-Vision (Philips in Europe). Studio-wise only 20th Century Fox is HDR10+ exclusive and they are being bought by Disney who have supported Dolby Vision (and still do on their digital titles).

Disc-based HDR10+ has technically arrived but limited to some niche documentaries and a few announced (but yet to be released) films (Bohemian Rhapsody and Robin Hood etc).

Streaming-wise, only Amazon Prime have announced support for HDR10+ (and I'm not sure how much of their catalogue is encoded) but are also supporting Dolby Vision.

My main question - if Samsung and TP-Vision (Philips) go it alone with Fox and non-exclusive Amazon Prime how long can the standard last?

2. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +588
    You’re probably right the writings on the wall for HDR10+

3. MahaRaja

MahaRaja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +387
    No body seems to know where the HDR10+ encoded contents are in Amazon Prime, if there are any! It's a joke:laugh:

4. ckyliu

ckyliu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ah bugger did I bet on the wrong horse again!? Just bought a Samsung HDR10 set.

5. kiran_mk2

kiran_mk2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I wonder what Samsung will do next - can they justify being the only hold-out now? I think it's going to look more and more like Samsung is missing a key feature rather than choosing to support an alternative format. Unless I missed something, Samsung don't seem to have actually announced any non 8K tvs for this year (the microLED stuff is still concept) so will Samsung have time to react (did they get advance notice that Panasonic would support DV?) and bring DV to their 2019 line-up or are they going to have to hang 2019 set buyers out to dry and announce DV support next year?

6. kiran_mk2

kiran_mk2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    And now TP-vision (Philips in the EU) have jumped on boar DV. I think Samsung is the only 'brand' holding out!