Is hdr calibration in sdr important for hdr 4k calibration?

Snoots101

Novice Member
Hello,

I have recently set up and calibrated my hdr TV and hdr 4k blu ray player.
I have calibrated the picture and am fairly pleased with it, tho I feel I could eek some more out of it.
I'm seeing scenes in Tenet early on in the disk at the concert venue that are looking a bit washed out with poor black levels.
I did not calibrate with an sdr disk, a 1080p blu ray, I just went straight to the 4k disk calibration.
I have read you need to calibrate in sdr first with a blue Ray then do the 4k, is this crucially important and should I re do my calibration?

Thanks.

Jase

Distinguished Member
What model TV is it? Some share some settings between HDR and SDR modes whilst others have completely separate settings for both.

For HDR the factory settings for Contrast, Backlight/Oled Light etc shouldn't be touched as that can mess up the Tone Mapping.

If you're watching both SDR and HDR sources then ideally you'd calibrate both.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
require 2 separate calibrations and colour profiles.
one sdr
one hdr

different colour spaces

Snoots101

Novice Member
What model TV is it? Some share some settings between HDR and SDR modes whilst others have completely separate settings for both.

For HDR the factory settings for Contrast, Backlight/Oled Light etc shouldn't be touched as that can mess up the Tone Mapping.

If you're watching both SDR and HDR sources then ideally you'd calibrate both.
Hi, the TV model is

Toshiba 50UK3163DB 50-inch.​

I have done a separate calibration for hdr and sdr, but I did the hdr first, shouldn't I have done sdr first?

Jase

Distinguished Member
Hi, the TV model is

Toshiba 50UK3163DB 50-inch.​

I have done a separate calibration for hdr and sdr, but I did the hdr first, shouldn't I have done sdr first?

When I had my TV's ISF calibrated SDR was done first followed by HDR.

JimmyHickmott

Novice Member
Hey, please forgive my ignorance - just looking for a little advice. I’ve bought i1Display Pro - thinking of trying to calibrate my A95k when it arrives (after 100 hrs) - do I also need a pattern generator too? Or will this come as a downloadable app with the TV? Do you think it will be worth doing? It’s starting to seem too complicated for me :)

Jase

Distinguished Member
Hey, please forgive my ignorance - just looking for a little advice. I’ve bought i1Display Pro - thinking of trying to calibrate my A95k when it arrives (after 100 hrs) - do I also need a pattern generator too? Or will this come as a downloadable app with the TV? Do you think it will be worth doing? It’s starting to seem too complicated for me :)

Been a while since I used an i1Display but when I did I used these test patterns available to download from AVS Forum.

At the time I burned them to a disc and used my Blu-ray player as the source. I think you can now do it from a USB stick although it's not something I've tried.

Perhaps @youngsyp could give some more up-to-date suggestions as I believe he does his own calibrations.

Last edited:

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
You'll need some form of test pattern generator, whether that be a disc, video files or actual test pattern generator. I'm not sure whether the TV has built in test patterns, like the LGs and Panasonic's have but, I'll find out when mine arrives.
What software will you use to perform the calibration?
If you can, is highly recommend that you have your meter profiled to your actual screen as OOTB accuracy can be some ways off with the i1D3, as it can be with any colorimeter. A number of pro calibrators offer this service.
As an example, mine was around 5dRE off with my GZ2000 I believe, which means you could actually be adding errors, with an un-profiled meter.
Whether it's worth it depends on how much you value an accurate image. With the reviews I've seen of the A95K it definitely needs calibrating to be accurate. OOTB it's not great.

I'd give it more like 300 hours to 'bed in' too. In my experience, 100 hours isn't enough.

Paul

JimmyHickmott

Novice Member
Hey guys - thanks for all the help and feedback. To be honest the more I've looked into it the more I've felt out of my depth :)

Unfortunately I've had to cancel my A95k pre-order anyway (lots going on in other areas of my life - cost seemed too much) - I was considering calibrating my current LG B9 65" but I don't think it supports calman auto calibration. I'll probably just sell my i1Display Pro Plus on ebay :)

Jase

Distinguished Member
Hey guys - thanks for all the help and feedback. To be honest the more I've looked into it the more I've felt out of my depth :)

Unfortunately I've had to cancel my A95k pre-order anyway (lots going on in other areas of my life - cost seemed too much) - I was considering calibrating my current LG B9 65" but I don't think it supports calman auto calibration. I'll probably just sell my i1Display Pro Plus on ebay :)

To be honest I found it a bit daunting as the calibration controls for the panel I had at the time needed to be accessed from the service menu. Newer TV's are easier in that respect but I ended up caving in and getting them done professionally.

youngsyp

Distinguished Member

The B9 will support AutoCal and also has onboard test pattern generation.

Details here: Calman Home for LG

What I would say is that the process isn't difficult but, learning what you're actually doing and how to hone it do take time. I've been calibrating TV's since 2006 and I still learn stuff regularly, especially with OLED and it's a tricky beast to nail down. That said, it depends on what type of person you are and whether you like sitting in the dark for hours staring at test patterns and test footage. :D

Paul

JimmyHickmott

Novice Member
I'm a bit of a tech, gaming and sound geek - DJing is my trade - but I think I might be going a bit too far down the rabbit hole with this one :)

Thanks for the advice though, much appreciated!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom