1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is HDMI better than DVI? Sound/Video

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by CKOKRON, Aug 8, 2005.

1. CKOKRON

CKOKRON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the Audio quality on HDMI equivalent to coaxial digital? Or should I still run a separate audio feed into my AVR? Is the video quality equivalent on both?

thx

CK

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Audio hdmi in my opinion is not as good as SPDIF, run a separate lead.

Video is very similar when they operate under the same conditions but there are MANY differences which may or may not be a help.

3. CKOKRON

CKOKRON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic - thanks. Could you elaborate a bit on video differences? When's one better than the other?

thx

CK

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Actually quite difficult to say. If you have access to a good video processor then sending an interlaced signal to that processor makes loads of sense as the scaling and video deinterlacing is likely to be better in the processor. However if you have a good DVD player with good deinterlacing then it might be better to let that device do ' the hard work'. It is all down to how you do the engineering and not how big are your number syndrome. Panels are not so hot in deinterlacing but are often quite competent in scaling. DVD player are often better at deinterlacing (SIL504 and Faroudja) but throw in 'lesser' scaling as a no cost option freebie. The former is good, the latter can add an unwant second scaling operation.

As a rule of thumb I let the best video device do both the deinterlacing and (to a lesser extent) the scaling. I avoid two scaling operations if at all possible.

The devil is in the detail however and each case is unique.

5. CKOKRON

CKOKRON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx again Nic.

TV is a Samsung HL-R4667W and the DVD player will either be the Denon DVD-1910 (DVI only) or the upcoming DVD-1920 (HDMI only). I'm trying to figure out if spending another $120 for the 1920 makes sense or whether I should just go with the 1910.

thx

CK

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    1910 is a great little player, the current pick of the Denons. It just does the basics right without silly frippery lile SACD / DVD A. A wise decision on Denons part. I haven't seen the 1920 but despite regular changes Denon models don't actually change that much in performance if history is anything to go by.