• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is HDMI any "stronger or weaker" than DVI?

Dunkwho

Established Member
I've a problem to solve with my revised htpc setup. The basic description is a projector sitting at the end of a 15m dvi to hdmi cable and a TV at the end of a standard hdmi 1.5m cable that I want to feed with the same picture.

Splitter options aside for a moment - I keep seeing reference to 10m being as far as you want to go on a hdmi-hdmi lead however I'm happy that my dvi to hdmi 15m cable has been running fine for many years, the only thing I'm changing is moving away from driving it from the dvi output of my HTPC to a HDMI output - does that in itself present any problems? Is HDMI "weaker" for long cable runs?

andy1249

Distinguished Member
No , Signal levels should be the same from either one , HDMI is pin for pin compatible with DVI , HDMI carries sound as well of course , but that shouldnt be a problem.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
As andy1249 says it ought to be a straight swap - experience however tells me it's not always the way.

Output Voltage, EDID and Sleep modes are all potential pitfalls.

Joe

Dunkwho

Established Member
I guess its stuff like output voltage that I'm concerned about.
My hope is that using a powered splitter 1 to 2 HDMI Splitter to split the hdmi output of my htpc (actually my av receiver as that'll be the hdmi video switch) to both my TV via hdmi link and then use a hdmi to dvi adaptor to allow my existing installed dvi to hdmi lead to the PJ will work.

Anyone with any experience of that model have any thoughts about running its output over a 15m link?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Splitting the Output of an AVR can be a big enough challenge on its own.

Unless you find someone with the exact same set-up as you have your working in the dark until you physically plug the kit together.

The ability to return kit that proves incompatible is important at this stage.

Joe

Dunkwho

Established Member
Indeed so, and cable universe have confirmed that they're fine in that regard.
Why is an av receiver potentially difficult, surely its just the last active stage (the splitter) that has any bearing?

Sorry - working hdmi-land is new to me and I didn't find much info in searches on these topics so far.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
HDMI carries E-EDID (ability comms.) plus HDCP (encryption) – each device in the signal chain must correctly handshake with all inter-connected devices to ensure you get trouble free operation.

Many AVR’s don’t handshake properly with multiple Sink (Display) devices when you add in a 1x2 (or larger) Distribution Amp on the Output side of the AVR.

Here’s a short note re HDCP from the guys we work with at RTcom USA - RTcom USA - Digital Extender specialized in Matrix Router, Switcher, Distribution Amplifier, Fiber Optic Cable and CAT-5 extender with HDMI and DVI format

Within the industry were also beginning to understand that EDID can be a bigger hassle than HDCP – which is why your starting to see EDID modes on relatively low cost Distribution gear.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom