is hdmi alot better over scart ?? thinking of buying a upscaling dvd player.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by shawn, Sep 9, 2007.

1. shawn

shawn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    just got myself a hitachi plasma hd tv, im running dvds off my dvd player via scart as it has not hdmi output.

question is is it worth buying a upscaling dvd player with hdmi?

my mates selling a samsung hd 850

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-DVD-HD850-Player-HDMI-included/dp/B0007YQO18

is it worth buying it over my philips dvd connected through scart to my hdtv?

will i notice a big diffrence with hdmi over scart?

thankyou

2. BrianPK

BrianPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +273
    I've noticed a substantial improvement with my Tosh.370e dvd player which costs £50 over my 3 year old Pioneer dv 575 ...cost £150.Other people seem ,also, to be well pleased with £50 to £60 players from Philips, Samsung etc.

3. M1kee

M1kee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I have a Samsung upscaling dvd. If I was to be really honest I would have to say that i do not notice any any real difference.

4. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    The major problem with connecting your devices (DVD Players, Games Consoles) via scart is that it does not allow progressive scan.

Therefore connecting it via HDMI, or component, would see a considerable improvement if Progressive scan is enabled.

5. People's Champ

People's Champ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry as I am sure this is a silly question but just got a Toshiba SD370. I have a Panasonic 26LX70 which supports both 720p and 1080i.

What is the best setting for the DVD player i.e. is 1080i considered to be a better picture and hence should I set the upscaling to that?

I have connected the two via HDMI.

Cheers

6. dibdab

dibdab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    It's down to you to decide which you prefer i think.

I find 1080i on my setup to be sharper and have more depth, but other people prefer 720p.

I watch about ten DVD's before figuring out what i prefered.

7. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    The thing is with upscaling/deinterlacing DVD players, is that they aren't worth buying at all unless they do the job properly. Many cheaper ones do not but I can't comment on the Samsung you posted.

The million dollar/pound question is: do you see a problem with how Film DVDs look on your Plasma right now? Are moving parts of the picture jaggy, or smooth and film-like?

8. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,315
    I have the older model and much prefer the hdmi connection to scart on a panasonic lcd. I really can't tell any difference between the resolutions though. May be because the tv uses 768, so both flavours have to be rescaled by the tv. Looks great though.

Graham

9. coolxz

coolxz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hi all.

similar to shawn, i am confused if i should buy a upscaling DVD player. Just recently bought a Tosh 42x3030d that can do 1080p. I am not sure if it will do upscaling to 1080p automatically from ordinary DVD player. I got a Matsui 'cheapy' DVD player and when i watched dvd on it, the resolution on the screen wasn't sharp at all to my eyes.

My queries really:
    1. Is the 1080p upscaling DVD player worth it? does it really make a different to the quality of SD DVD?
    2. Is there a blue-ray or HD DVD player that does 1080p standard upscaling?....or it automatically does it anyway?
    3. anyone with the Tosh 42x3030d that might be able to tell me if it does upscaling automatically??

thanks!

10. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    1. I believe the video processing in most Toshiba LCD TVs negates the need for an upscaling/deinterlacing player.

2. All players will upscale either to 1080i or 1080p - it became a standard feature.

3. Yes, all LCD TVs scale the picture automatically. If they didn't, all you'd see is a little box in the middle of the screen. The question is, does it do it well - the answer to which is Probably.

11. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    There is a significant improvement with HDMI over SCART and I noticed it straight away when I changed over to my PS3 and watching favourite parts of various films. The main difference is that images seem sharper and colours slightly more vivid but Id say you'd need a decent enough source and display to see the difference.

12. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    I don't think there's any technical reason why the colours should look any better over HDMI than they would over RGB SCART. Also with standard definition, 480i/576i via RGB SCART and HDMI should look very, very close in terms of clarity. So I'd say that on better displays, the difference will be smaller.

13. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    going hdmi from your source drive (DVD/PS3) must give you the option of scaling up. scart will not (it does either 480i/576i).

Bear in mind you can ONLY send an upscaled image (576i/480i/720/1080) FROM hdmi enabled machine. scart is fixed as I said in the point above.

The other point you need to bear in mind with the above is your receieving device (TV !) will also upscale any signal it gets - whether it's upscaled or not.

conclusions, in most cases
    1. does the tv to a better job at upscaling than the dvd player ? if yes - why bother with upscaling on the dvd player, in fact switch it off or simply connect using scart.

I had a SONY 905 dvd player (5 years old) conneccted via scart (sold) and now a panasonix EX85, supposedly does a great job at upscaling the picture. Connected the panny via hdmi (720p) and sony via scart. put same dvd film in both - can't tell the difference !

The pioneer has a very good upscaler onboard - does the job better than the panny.

14. coolxz

coolxz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

:thumbsup: Thanks a lot. Really useful to hear different opinions. BTW, what telly are you using to test the two dvd players on?

15. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Pioneer 507xde