Is HDMI all that and a bag of potato chips?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by hornet#30, Jan 12, 2008.

1. hornet#30

hornet#30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Just wondering if i should be at all bothered that my 360 is pre august 2007 and hence standard AV out socket. As i use it for DVDs and HD i'm not struggling for inputs on my TV so would i see any difference over using VGA or component?

2. Mac User

Mac User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    I cant really comment on HDMI or component as I use VGA.. I think it all depends on the tv and what works for you. for me VGA is great :smashin:

3. funkyspider

funkyspider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    No more than you should be bothered that your car is a yr old, or your TV isn't the latest model, or your PC isn't the latest spec. If what you have works then why upgrade just for the sake of it. Id be surprised if you saw any difference between HDMI and component at 720p on 99% of TV's.

I'd be more bothered that its not a Bluray player if you want to worry about anything.

4. caz2005

caz2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +526
    Well, I tested all the different connections on my tv and I found (In my opinion) the worst to best was...

HDMI, Component, VGA.

Problem is you'll get different results with different TVs.

5. Beetlejuice

Beetlejuice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +943
    Exactly the same here mate. I have the Halo 3 Console, and when I got it decided to give hdmi a blast... but on my TV it's just not up to par with VGA.

But like others have said, it all depends on your TV, different connections are better on different TV's. Personally, I think if you're happy with VGA/Component, it seems a waste of money purchasing a new console just for HDMI, when it might be a step backwards on your TV in terms of quality.

6. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,744
    It definitely depends on your TV, my Tosh isnt too great on the analogue inputs so Component looks horrible, VGA is better but HDMI offers a faultless image so the upgrade to an HDMI enabled 360 was well worth it for me.

7. PRG

PRG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yep...I have a Toshiba 37" LCD. On my old 360 I used component and thought it looked great. When my 360 died I returned it to the shop and they replaced it with a new Falcon/HDMI machine. I plugged it in with HDMI expecting it to look the same.

:eek::eek::eek:

It looked absolutely stunning. Crisp picture and gorgeous vibrant colours. Much better than the picture over component.:smashin:

8. hornet#30

hornet#30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Cheers guys i've got a Sony 50" rear projection and it looks good enough to me was just curious. As for bothered about BD? Not at all i tend to see myself as average Joe and with a wife and 2 kids my av budget is limited. So sell my 360 (and soul) and buy a ps3 for BD (wouldn't be able to afford a stand alone) i don't think so. If i wanted a useless lump of electronics i'd RROD my 360 and leave it on my shelf. People keep going on about DVD upscaling looking great and only costing a couple of quid so i will be happy buying the excellent HD's that are out and upscaling the rest.

9. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thats weird...

You all have the same Toshiba tv but you're getting totally opposite results.....:confused:

....thats NOT normal.

Anyways, on my Panasonic 50" PX60 looks bloody awful over VGA, quite nice over component, but abit rough when you turn up the sharpness - relative to HDMI at least, which gives a nice sharp image that is good on contrast and what not too.

Shame "auto-aspect" doesn't work on HDMI for my tv so stuck with black bars on HD DVDs

10. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,744
    I agree its not normal, guess some of us notice the analogue interference more than others, I just couldnt stand it anymore, whats the point in watching a fantastic quality HD-DVD like The Matrix when in dark sequences I can see wazy lines in the background :rolleyes:

11. caz2005

caz2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +526
    Yup, never mind electrical equipment. Ours eyes are all different. Plus, if you look at Toshiba models, you'll see that specs differ between sizes.

12. silvercue

silvercue
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,668
    VGA for me - far better quality than all the other connections I have tried. Very sharp image, but I did need to play with colours a little as it defaults to a rather washed out look on my goodmans tv.

13. Golfpunk

Golfpunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I just upgraded to a Elite and the difference from using a VGA cable (Monster one) on my lauch Premium is quite pronaunced. Much sharper image on both my plasma and lcd over HDMI with much better colour definition. Almost like getting a new graphics card for your PC. :)

Very pleased I did it... And its quite a bit quieter as well.:smashin:

14. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    It's all set dependant. Asking other's opinion is a bit pointless tbh.