Is HD worth the money

Status
Not open for further replies.

mda1974

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I know this a a rather subjective question but in your opinions is Sky HD worth the £10 per month extra.

I'm thinking of upgrading (especially as the box is only £75 at the moment) but as I dont have movies or sport I'm really not sure if the content is worth the extra subscription.

Thanks

Marcus

Personally yes.

But without movies or sport I would say no, unless you like watching documentaries a lot. But then they seem to be repeated over and over, so probably still no.

I know this a a rather subjective question but in your opinions is Sky HD worth the £10 per month extra.

I'm thinking of upgrading (especially as the box is only £75 at the moment) but as I dont have movies or sport I'm really not sure if the content is worth the extra subscription.

Thanks

Marcus

I'd agree with blackpants. Without sport and film channels the output isn't huge. Why not consider a Freeview HD box when those become available with a PVR? No monthly subscription although the box might cost more. Sky appear to be heavily subsidising their HD box with it down to £75 + £30 installation.

If sky could get the sound sync issues, picture quality issues and Box problems sorted then the £10 would be very worth it. Personally I would wait until sky have sorted out the big issues they have.

If sky could get the sound sync issues, picture quality issues and Box problems sorted then the £10 would be very worth it. Personally I would wait until sky have sorted out the big issues they have.
While personally I have seen hardly any of these alleged problem over 18 months and would recommend the service!

I'd agree with blackpants. Without sport and film channels the output isn't huge.
I would disagree! I don't have Sport or Movies and find that there is plenty (and rapidly increasing) of worthwhile HD material.
Why not consider a Freeview HD box when those become available with a PVR? No monthly subscription although the box might cost more. Sky appear to be heavily subsidising their HD box with it down to £75 + £30 installation.
A likely cost of £300 for one and a bit HD channels....no thanks!!!

The chip on your shoulder!

The question was whether the content was worth the extra tenner, not about your sound sync/picture quality issues/box problems that I for one am sick to death of hearing you go on about on these forums. :boring:

Like the majority of HD users, I have no sound sync issues, no picture quality issues and no box problems. So I can safely say that the HD Mix is worth £10 per month.

Personally I would put the Sheff Wednesday fan on my ignore list so his constant repetitive whinging about a problem that only he seems to suffer from no longer taints my enjoyment of AV Forums.

I was a sceptic who resisted the temptation of Sky HD for many months. However, I got it installed at the weekend and my conclusion is that it is well worth the £10 extra. PQ is brilliant.

Is the SD content through an HD box as good as watching it through a Sky + box? I've heard contrasting reports.

To me it's worth it, but then I watch a lot of films, and also a lot of american shows like Battlestar Galactica, 24, etc. If you don't watch any of the stuff on BBC HD, you don't like american shows, don't watch movies, don't like documentaries and don't watch sport then there isn't a great deal left....

I have the new Pace HD box connected by HDMI. Previously I had the latest generation Sky+ PVR conected to my TV by Scart and to my projector by S-video.

PQ on the new Pace box is better I would say than I could get from my Sky+ box.

No complaints at all on PQ - sound on the other hand . . .

I would disagree! I don't have Sport or Movies and find that there is plenty (and rapidly increasing) of worthwhile HD material.

I think you'll find there is a lot of repetition on DiscoveryHD, HistoryHD etc. As for rapidly increasing I would have to disagree. Increasing yes, but no more than that.

A likely cost of £300 for one and a bit HD channels....no thanks!!!

Ah but no £10/month subs. Once you include the £120 per year for Sky HD it does add up over time. FreeSat HD will give you BBC, ITV and C4 HD for no extra cost other than a one-off outlay. That's a bit more than one and a bit!

Like the majority of HD users, I have no sound sync issues, no picture quality issues and no box problems. So I can safely say that the HD Mix is worth £10 per month.

Personally I would put the Sheff Wednesday fan on my ignore list so his constant repetitive whinging about a problem that only he seems to suffer from no longer taints my enjoyment of AV Forums.

I think you will find there is more than one person suffers from the same problems. Just because you have no problems doesn't mean there isn't any.

I have just had HD installed and have no problems at the moment however I would'nt agree that the current programming merits a £10/month charge (although I pay it) particularly if you dont have movies and/or sport. A lot of the programmes on the so called HD channels are not in HD but upscaled SD.

Ah but no £10/month subs. Once you include the £120 per year for Sky HD it does add up over time. FreeSat HD will give you BBC, ITV and C4 HD for no extra cost other than a one-off outlay. That's a bit more than one and a bit!

No C4HD on Freesat. A Sky HD box (with no HD subscription) gives you more high definition output than a Freesat HD box. And costs less in the first place (£75 + £120 subscription vs £300).

I think you'll find there is a lot of repetition on DiscoveryHD, HistoryHD etc. As for rapidly increasing I would have to disagree. Increasing yes, but no more than that.
I haven't noticed this claimed vast amount of repetition on DiscoveryHD, NatGeoHD etc. I think that that may have been more true in the past but there are quite a few new series starting at the moment!

The main culprit in infinite repetition seems, to me, to actually be BBCHD!
Given the fact that it costs channels a lot to go HD the lack of any "HD fee" is always going to hamper Freesat HD channel growth!

Freesat has one HD-channel (with a lot of repetition!) in BBCHD plus "a bit" (ITVHD) now. No-one knows when C4HD may arrive (with its own "bit more"!)

Sky had added the excellent (for me!) EurosportHD and RushHD in the last few months - I would not like to be totally locked out of their future plans by choosing Freesat (given that they, alone, seem to see rapid HD expansion as their USP!)

No C4HD on Freesat. A Sky HD box (with no HD subscription) gives you more high definition output than a Freesat HD box. And costs less in the first place (£75 + £120 subscription vs £300).

So you are only going to subscribe for 1 year?

Two years subscription £240 + £75 = £315.

I am a fan of Sky HD but want to see a strong Freesat as that will mean Sky keep on improving to stay ahead and not just rest on their laurels.

Sky HD is worth the money absolutely, 26 hd channels with more before the end of the year, Im really fed up with the constant whinging on here, only recently had hd installed and was really put off by various comments, these so called problems for the majority really are not a major problem and i have found sky hd excellent throughout, i look forward to my viewing while im at work and believe that sky hd is the only choice for hd viewing, you get what you pay for!, anyone thinking of taking the plung, go for it you wont be dissapointed its amazing.:smashin:.

So you are only going to subscribe for 1 year?

If all you wanted was the same or slightly more channels than Freesat HD, rather than wanting the HD Mix, then there is no need to subscribe to the HD Mix for more than a year.

If you wanted ten or more HD channels then Freesat HD would be no good to you anyway.

I was merely illustrating that it is more cost effective to purchase a Sky HD box plus the minimum contract period from Sky than it is to buy a Freesat HD box - and in that first year, you get a lot more high definition channels included as well. From the second year onwards you get slightly more high definition content.

Last edited:
If all you wanted was the same or slightly more channels than Freesat HD, rather than wanting the HD Mix, then there is no need to subscribe to the HD Mix for more than a year.

If you wanted ten or more HD channels then Freesat HD would be no good to you anyway.

I was merely illustrating that it is more cost effective to purchase a Sky HD box plus the minimum contract period from Sky than it is to buy a Freesat HD box - and in that first year, you get a lot more high definition channels included as well. from the second year onwards you get slightly more high definition content.

True. But I dont expect Freesat will only ever broadcast 2 HD channels so in the near future I hope it could be a match for the Sky HD mix (minus movies and sports) and it will competively challenge in order that Sky dont take the market for granted and continue to improve the product to stay ahead.

True. But I dont expect Freesat will only ever broadcast 2 HD channels so in the near future I hope it could be a match for the Sky HD mix (minus movies and sports) and it will competively challenge in order that Sky dont take the market for granted and continue to improve the product to stay ahead.

I'd be interested to know where all the 'free' HD channels are going to come from? :confused:

ITV are one of the main backers of Freesat and they show how many hours of HD programming per week?

I think optimism is a key criteria if you are going to be a Freesat HD devotee!

ATB

Max

No C4HD now. That may change. There are several reasons why people may not want Sky. Signal problems, dislike of the Murdoch empire, no dish allowed. Freeview is an alternative and competition is a good thing.

Your costings are flawed. The cost of Sky in the second year is £315 and in the third year £435. Need I go on?

I haven't noticed this claimed vast amount of repetition on DiscoveryHD, NatGeoHD etc. I think that that may have been more true in the past but there are quite a few new series starting at the moment!

The main culprit in infinite repetition seems, to me, to actually be BBCHD!

I didn't say vast amount of repetition. I said repetition. Please stop distorting what I'm saying.

The BBCHD service is just a Preview channel. That's why it's repeated during daytime but includes many different programs during peak evening hours.

The BBCHD service is just a Preview channel. That's why it's repeated during daytime but includes many different programs during peak evening hours.
I actually meant in its peak hours in the evening! Please don't distort what I am saying!

And, for additional distortion, who (you!) included C4HD in his calculation of current Freesat HD content.

Last edited:
I've just had Sky HD installed and am very impressed with the PQ. The lip sync seems to vary from channel to channel, but so far it has not disturbed my viewing too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom