is hd ready tv compatible with blu ray

tonynev

Established Member
Reaction score
as my tv is not full hd, is it a waste of money buying a bluray player, as they are 1080p. thank you.

depends on your tv and your expectations.

If your TV has a HDMI input then great - should be fine.

If not what you are going to need to look for is a blu-ray player with component outputs.

Blu-ray does not have to output at 1080p - other resolutions (including resolutions above broadcast res) will be available from the player.

Knowing a little more about the TV would help though (eg it's model)

as my tv is not full hd, is it a waste of money buying a bluray player, as they are 1080p. thank you.

short answer no. THere are other varibles (such as size of screen, viewing distance), blu ray players output up to 1080p, You will still notice the difference if your tv 720 (or 768)

What TV you got mate?

I have "only" a 32" 720p set (not "full" HD), a Sharp LC32GD8E, and the results on blu-ray are stunning. The players will automatically adjust their output for your set's resolution (be it 720p or 1080p). Well worth the upgrade to blu-ray, especially with the newer players. Just because the TV isn't quite "Full HD" doesn't mean it won't look the business with Hi-Def input. A bit of a con in the early days of HD Ready labelling, and I was disappointed when I realised that 1080p was the top resolution to go for (there weren't many around back then anyway), but cannot complain about the results with blu-ray. You've really got to see it in action to appreciate the step up in quality over DVD.

With any kit you need to make sure that you are using it to it's best. Resolution is just one variable here. 720p on a laptop can look amazing. 720p on a huge screen at distance doesn't. What is important is that you don't get 'empty resolution' to borrow a microscopy term. Screen size, viewing distance and your eyes all come into the equation as to whether it is worthwhile and not just resolution, which for me would be well down that list. I suspect that the majority of set up here are underperforming simply because most cannot optimise their situations / kit though this doesn't mean there are not benefits over say DVD, even at same resolution, decoding differences alone will show benefits.

I have a Sony 32" HD ready TV, and I sit around 9ft from the screen. My DVD player outputs a progressive signal over a cheap component cable, and I can see no improvement between it and a Sony 360 blu-ray player. In fact, if anything it's too contrasty, and I'd rather watch a DVD.
My eyesight is pretty good, I see a big difference switching between SkySD and SkyHD (especially the BBCHD channel), but blu-ray is a turn off for me I'm afraid.

You might disagree however, can you borrow a blu-ray player from someone to try it out?

I have a Sony 32" HD ready TV, and I sit around 9ft from the screen. My DVD player outputs a progressive signal over a cheap component cable, and I can see no improvement between it and a Sony 360 blu-ray player. In fact, if anything it's too contrasty, and I'd rather watch a DVD.
My eyesight is pretty good, I see a big difference switching between SkySD and SkyHD (especially the BBCHD channel), but blu-ray is a turn off for me I'm afraid.
Something sounds horribly wrong. Blu-ray shouldn't look worse than DVD. The contrast shouldn't be any different on a Blu-ray disc than on a DVD (perhaps a little truer to the source, but this will be due to more transparent compression and more accurate colour reproduction). Perhaps your HDMI input is calibrated differently from your component input. When it comes to detail, however, you won't get much benefit from a 32" 720p display, especially sitting 9 feet away! I sit about 8 feet from my 42" 720p plasma, which is about right.

Just one question. Are you connecting the blu-ray to the TV with a HDMI cable? Or component? My TV size (32" 720p res.) and viewing distance is the same as yours, and the difference between Blu-ray and SD DVD is obvious regarding detail, etc. Or are you comparing the playback quality of a DVD disc through a DVD player, then the Blu-ray player? There won't be much difference between the two there, I'm afraid. You'll need a film on a proper blu-ray disc to appreciate the increase in definition your TV can give.

awink1. my tv is a philips pfl3755220d. cheers.

Something sounds horribly wrong. Blu-ray shouldn't look worse than DVD. The contrast shouldn't be any different on a Blu-ray disc than on a DVD (perhaps a little truer to the source, but this will be due to more transparent compression and more accurate colour reproduction). Perhaps your HDMI input is calibrated differently from your component input. When it comes to detail, however, you won't get much benefit from a 32" 720p display, especially sitting 9 feet away! I sit about 8 feet from my 42" 720p plasma, which is about right.

I'm not really saying that the blu-ray looks worse, just that my pref would be to watch DVD. For info, both are connected through component, as I only have 1 hdmi socket, but I've only ever tested 4 blu-ray discs (Transformers, Quantum Of Solace, Batman Begins and Marley and Me). It is all down to the TV, suppose it serves me right for buying when the HD Ready Bravias came out at first!

My TV is HD ready and Blu Rays from ten feet look amazing.

Dave.

awink1. my tv is a philips pfl3755220d. cheers.

OK Tonynev, I think you mean the 37PFL5522D Right? You would certainly notice a great improvement with a Blu ray player playing High Def material.

It can even handle 1080p at 50Hz & 60Hz. You certainly would see the difference from Standard Def :thumbsup:

i watch my blurays on a dlp projector which is only 720p and i use a 92" screen and blurays look stunning even at that size. I also have a 47" 1080p tv, but i dont watch any movies on that as i use my projector for all my movie watching. So 720p is acceptable for blurays.

This is my personal experience. I have a Yamaha DVD -S 2700 DVD player. I also have a Panasonic DMP BD 60. Both of these are are connected via HDMI to a Yamaha RXV3800 which in turn is connected to a Panasonic 37" HD ready TV (native 720 P).

Although the screen has a native resolution of 720P, Panasonic use the same chip set and start by converting signals to 1080P, then down converting to 720P on the "HD ready" models.

So, with both the DVD S2700 and the BD60 set to output 1080P I can play both together and switch AV inputs to do direct comparisons. I have Planet Earth in DVD and Blu Ray formats.

IMO, purely in terms of picture quality, the difference between the two is very slight. So, to say that you will certainly see an improvement over SD material is a very sweeping statement. It depends on a number of factors, but if you have a good SD source, then IMO (and from my own tests) Blu Ray will only give a slight improvement on a 720P screen. Whether this improvement is "worth the cost", only you can decide.

There are of course other factors which may influence your decision such as HD Audio but you have to also remember that Blu Ray discs are still twice the price of the same thing in DVD.

This is my personal experience. I have a Yamaha DVD -S 2700 DVD player. I also have a Panasonic DMP BD 60. Both of these are are connected via HDMI to a Yamaha RXV3800 which in turn is connected to a Panasonic 37" HD ready TV (native 720 P).

Although the screen has a native resolution of 720P, Panasonic use the same chip set and start by converting signals to 1080P, then down converting to 720P on the "HD ready" models.

So, with both the DVD S2700 and the BD60 set to output 1080P I can play both together and switch AV inputs to do direct comparisons. I have Planet Earth in DVD and Blu Ray formats.

IMO, purely in terms of picture quality, the difference between the two is very slight. So, to say that you will certainly see an improvement over SD material is a very sweeping statement. It depends on a number of factors, but if you have a good SD source, then IMO (and from my own tests) Blu Ray will only give a slight improvement on a 720P screen. Whether this improvement is "worth the cost", only you can decide.

There are of course other factors which may influence your decision such as HD Audio but you have to also remember that Blu Ray discs are still twice the price of the same thing in DVD.

If you have a native 720p Panasonic TV, you must be talking plasma right?

The 37" Panasonic plasmas are probably the best ever made TVs for SD (I know I have one too :)), but if you can't see much difference between SD and HD you might have something wrong with your set up (no disrespect intended).

SD DVD and/or TV broadcasts are very, very good indeed on my TV (especially coming from the Oppo and Foxsat HDR), but you can certainly tell when there is a blu ray playing :rolleyes:

Last edited:

You might disagree however, can you borrow a blu-ray player from someone to try it out?

Interesting as I thought that at that distance on a 32 it was impossible to see any incremental 720p details compared to 480p, even with 20/20 vision. I though the full amount of added 720p detail was only visible at 6ft.
It does necessarily mean that the HD picture is not better but I am not sure resolution plays any role.

If you have a native 720p Panasonic TV, you must be talking plasma right?

The 37" Panasonic plasmas are probably the best ever made TVs for SD (I know I have one too :)), but if you can't see much difference between SD and HD you might have something wrong with your set up (no disrespect intended).

SD DVD and/or TV broadcasts are very, very good indeed on my TV (especially coming from the Oppo and Foxsat HDR), but you can certainly tell when there is a blu ray playing :rolleyes:

No offence taken and there is nothing wrong with the set up, which has been calibrated. I'll gladly set up a demo between DVDs on the Yamaha DVD-S2700 and Blu Rays on the Panasonic DMP BD 60 for anyone who wants to pm me. The difference between SD TV and HD Blu Ray is quite marked, but between DVDs via the DVD-S2700 and Blu Ray via the DMP-BD 60 the difference is far less noticeable.

Something is very wrong there, it should not be like this. Who calibrated it for you?

My dealer. So what do you think might be wrong? I have to say that I'm not disappointed with the Blu-Ray but I also think that the Yamaha is exceptionally good. Whilst there is a difference, to me on my 37" - 720p screen, at my normal viewing distance, it's not a "night and day - wow" sort of difference.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom