Is HD necessary...really? Although I'm looking at upgrading...do I 'Need' to or......

Mysticpuma

Established Member
Reaction score
would a Canon XL2 suffice?

Currently I'm in the market for a Panosonic AG HMC151E and the price is looking like being £3000.

Now, I work in stills, using a Nikon D3x and D3, so I realise that visual quality is 'where it's at', but when you consider a film like "Slumdog Millionaire" was shot on a Canon XL2, do I 'Need' to upgrade to HD?

I currently have an XM2 and know I can pick up a second-hand XL2 for a 'cheap' sum of £1200-£1400 as the 'must-have' cameras of the moment are HD capable.

I mainly shoot aviation, so the cheaper HD cameras using CMOS are not practical, so I have to go for 3CCD cameras (in HD) which is why I am aiming for the AG HMC151E, but realistically would I be better served with an XL2 camera and a couple of lenses for the same price?

I don't need to have HD, I feel that I am just following the trend of moving up, and have been really happy with the image quality of the XM2. However I do like the idea of lens interchangeability of the XL2.

Opinions appreciated as always, MP

Wierd, I was sure I read that it was used in the making of it? (Not necessarily exclusively the only camera...how odd!) although "Steven Soderbergh used the popular Canon XL2 MiniDV camera while shooting Full Frontal." So I have a backup film to go with ;)

XH A1. Does it shoot 1080P (not i) and as I shoot aviation, I can't use CMOS sensors as they record propellers oddly.

Is the XH A1 capable of the above? In HD? Thought the Panasonic was the one to go for. Enlighten me...please?

Cheers, MP.

confused :confused: i know loads of films have been made with MINI DV and HDV cams but am i missing something with slumdog millionaire as i see no tape cam mentioned.but hd tv is, confusing sorry

I think the OP misread Canon SLR as Canon XL2 (or it was misreported elsewhere), or perhaps SI-2K

Last edited:
Don't worry guys, I'm just trying to talk myself out of spending the money...I know I'm going to, but I have decided it's the Panasonic 151E.

Trying to kid myself out of the purchase, but deep-down...I can't help myself!

Must buy......THE PRECIOUS!!!!!! lol.

Thanks for indulging me. I see I am looking at nearer £3300 for a UK/EU model with the free 3-year-warranty, so wont go for the "152 is a 151" sales effort to be found on some sites.

Cheers, MP.

Don't worry guys, I'm just trying to talk myself out of spending the money...I know I'm going to, but I have decided it's the Panasonic 151E.

Trying to kid myself out of the purchase, but deep-down...I can't help myself!

Must buy......THE PRECIOUS!!!!!! lol.

Thanks for indulging me. I see I am looking at nearer £3300 for a UK/EU model with the free 3-year-warranty, so wont go for the "152 is a 151" sales effort to be found on some sites.

Cheers, MP.

Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: Panasonic AG-HMC152 / AG-HMC151 AVCCAM PAL Camcorder with 12 month Manufacturer warranty
it depends what the 3 year warranty is worth, amazon are a good company.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Its an excellent choice:smashin:

I only mentioned the XH A1 as an excellent example of HDV with a 3CCD
As for "is HD nessesary" ? .. No it isnt.
It is wise to keep avoiding it in 2010?.. No it isnt
The format, software are now mature as long as you don't stint on hardware for playback and editing youll love it
..and also remember than even downscaled to SD , the HD camcorders really shine
The XHA1 is more than likely a better SD camcorder than the XM2

Last edited:
I've found a couple of official Panasonic dealers near to me, and even though I don't like the "This is the price" + Vat way of displaying the deals.

Pro Broadcast Cameras Panasonic DV/DVC PRO Sales and Hire

seems to be the only one near me, but then there is this one:

151 - Jigsaw Systems Ltd

but what the heck is an "Academic" version?

Currently best price I have found is above. Still searching...just need a 10% off voucher ;) .....

but what the heck is an "Academic" version?

Normally it refers to special pricing only available to those in education

This item is only availably to regitered educational users and requires Education proof at the point of order.

Lots of manufacturers and vendors give special pricing to education.

However, in this case it seems like their special offer that anyone can buy is better than the academinc price anyway...

Normally it refers to special pricing only available to those in education

Lots of manufacturers and vendors give special pricing to education.

However, in this case it seems like their special offer that anyone can buy is better than the academinc price anyway...

When ever i have bought a cam or any electric goods the warrenty is covered by the firm i purchased from not the manafactuars, regarding amazon market place[problems]my experience is any firms that use them are desperate for good ratings from buyers even if its just for tapes discs etc .

Last edited:
When ever i have bought a cam or any electric goods the warrenty is covered by the firm i purchased from not the manafactuars,

Well the sale of goods act states that your contract is with the retailer not the manufacturer.

But that doesn't really help you if the retailer supplied you a unit they shipped in from Australia and as a consequence they have to return it there to get it repaired rather than Panasonic Europe.

Well the sale of goods act states that your contract is with the retailer not the manufacturer.

But that doesn't really help you if the retailer supplied you a unit they shipped in from Australia and as a consequence they have to return it there to get it repaired rather than Panasonic Europe.

True sometimes it pays to pay a bit more for ease of mind.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom