Is Half Life 2 coming to 360?

I'm surprised they didn't hold it back for 360 really. It would certainly have been a killer app, especially if it were to have looked better than it's pc counterpart.

I very much doubt it's coming out for 360 as well as the Xbox. As it's being released on the Xbox there is no reason to release on the 360 as well.

They are definately releasing a Half Life game for the 360 (or at least they were) as if you remember back to those early E3 slides Half Life was actually mentioned amongst a list of games.

Maybe they will release HL2 with the Aftermath expansion built in for the 360.

Moogle said:
I very much doubt it's coming out for 360 as well as the Xbox. As it's being released on the Xbox there is no reason to release on the 360 as well.

That is not strictly true, Fifa, Burnout Revenge, Tiger Woods PGA 2006, Tony Hawks American Wasteland to name but a few are all being released on both Xbox and Xbox 360.

Dr Phibes said:
That is not strictly true, Fifa, Burnout Revenge, Tiger Woods PGA 2006, Tony Hawks American Wasteland to name but a few are all being released on both Xbox and Xbox 360.

That's not my point. All the games you mentioned are multiformat franchises and it is not surprising they will make it on to the 360 as well as the Xbox. Half Life 2 is not one of those games having only appeared on the PC so far and having been in development for the Xbox for a long time now. You obviously don't know much about Valve and Half Life 2. It's one of those games that only appears on limited and specific formats, those that can do it justice.

If the 360 had already been out for a year or two then HL2 would probably have been developed for that. After spending all this time and money on developing it for the Xbox Valve aren't going to suddenly change their mind and release it on the 360 instead. If they chose to do that by the time it was released HL3 would be out on the PC. :eek:

Wilt said:
Thinking of getting it for Xbox, but if it's due out on 360 i'll wait.

:)

Yes it will.

The cost of porting it to the 360 should be relativley small. Remember it's what XNA is all about..

Of course they would release it for xbox and 360, it's two markets. At the moment the 360 market is 0. The xbox market is in the millions (tens?).

It makes sense to capture both markets.

Some stuff on Half life 3 rumour on 360.
http://www.xboxaddict.com/news/view.php?News_ID=6253

Who knows when it would come out on the 360 though.

Half life 2 aftermath is due next.

Moogle said:

Apart from the xbox will make it looks like a dogs dinner, and the 360 will show it how it was intended.

JayList said:
Yes it will.

The cost of porting it to the 360 should be relativley small. Remember it's what XNA is all about..

Of course they would release it for xbox and 360, it's two markets. At the moment the 360 market is 0. The xbox market is in the millions (tens?).

It makes sense to capture both markets.

Some stuff on Half life 3 rumour on 360.
http://www.xboxaddict.com/news/view.php?News_ID=6253

Who knows when it would come out on the 360 though.

Half life 2 aftermath is due next.

JayList said:
Apart from the xbox will make it looks like a dogs dinner, and the 360 will show it how it was intended.

What makes you so sure it will be released on 360. The cost is a lot more then you seem to think. The 360 and Xbox are very different in architecture especially the GPU. It's not as simple as that porting from the Xbox to the 360.

And XNA has nothing to do with Xbox and all to do with the 360 and the PC platform. XNA is about semeless integration between the PC and the 360 so games can be ported easily between them and online play between the two formats is more likely.

Half Life 2 is not the kind of game that would appear on multiple formats just because they are different markets. Valve is not that kind of developer. HL2 is not going to be released on the 360 as well. Infact when I spoke to a couple of the Valve development team members at E3 earlier this year I asked them about the possibility of changing formats from Xbox to 360 or releasing the game on both and they said then they had no plans to release it on the 360. More then likely the next game in the series will appear on the 360. Sorry but whatever you may think Half Life 2 is not going to be released on the 360.

Moogle said:
And XNA has nothing to do with Xbox and all to do with the 360 and the PC platform. XNA is about semeless integration between the PC and the 360 so games can be ported easily between them and online play between the two formats is more likely.

Wouldnt that imply that they may look to port the PC version to the 360? ... I agree though assuming Valve dont put it out to another developer to port then I'm not holding my breath for a HL2 to come out on the 360.

Would be nice, but already played it on the PC and there are already too many games for the 360 I want to play.

Moogle said:

That's exactley what I'm talking about. Not porting the crappy xbox version but porting the PC version. I'm not saying it's easy, but it's not rocket science either. I think the cost would be outwayed by the revenue.

I don't really care to be honest having already completed it on my ninja pc. :smashin:

I still bet it will come out on 360 at some point. It makes sense for Valve to maximise their revenue. Perhaps a game of the year edtion with half life 2 and aftermath on. Time will tell.

I would buy the pc version if you have a good pc though, it may be ages before it appears.

Not sure but hl may have to have been developed with XNA origionaly to work like that, otherwise everyone one and their brother would be porting stuff to the 360. Back cat of pc games on one dvd ect... in the budget section.

HL2 aint gonna be released again on 360, whos gonna buy a year old pc game thats allready out on xbox. I dont think it'll make finacial sense and could put the premium brand of half life in a bad light. At most they may release an updated emulator for 360 to play hl2 xbox version. Currently HL2 (Xbox) runs poorly on 360 (I've read on some american 360 forums), so an updated emulator may fix the framerate issues and include high res textures (not holding my breath as HL2 (xbox) sales may not be high enough to warrant bothering).

I reckon the best bet is to wait for hl3 which will no doubt take a huge amount of time. Problem is it may get so complicated in 2-3 years time it may outstrip the 360 and only run on the power pcs of the Future. If it does get a 360 release (becuase M$ twisted their arms) it may be a watered down version like the current xbox HL2. All speculation but it woudn't surpise me at all.

Valve are very big on the modding scene, they support it highly, somehow i doubt any of the HL franchise will come out first on consoles, other than consolised special extras (ie a few extra levels or corridors) just to convince people to buy the game again for their console (and this will only be done to help fund more HL content for PC users)........you just cant do on a console what PC users can do, not with a game as moddable as HL.......if they do sell out and go console exclusive then it will be a very sad day for gaming......considering how they fought to free themselves from Sierra so they could do their games online cheaper.....

HL2 would be very very welcome on the 360, i hope it does, and if it does appear it'd be nice if Counter Strike Zero came on the disc as well

to answer Wilt then, we don't know yet, but we hope so. :)

Oh well we have mixed views whether this will be coming out on 360, but doesn't matter now, as i've gone and bought it.

Really enjoying it. Should look nice upscaled on 360. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom