Is going for a bigger screen a bad idea?

04723367-D443-4EE9-8DCB-D543688C040E.jpeg
04723367-D443-4EE9-8DCB-D543688C040E.jpegI suspect j know what the answer to this will be BUT…

I currently have a 92inch pull down screen in my living room, paired with my Epson 9400. It goes over my OLED with the 5.1 speakers spaced out sufficiently.

I’ve measured and realise I can space the front speakers out sufficiently to fit in a 106” screen.

I guess my question is: is that overkill? It’s for my living room so isn’t down all the time, but I guess I’m trying to decide whether the bigger screen would be TOO big for the space?

Some images attached of current set up.

With thanks!

04723367-D443-4EE9-8DCB-D543688C040E.jpeg30C01213-1644-4D80-B19E-256051A4AE1E.jpeg41B2A2CE-3085-41A1-985F-793153091BB1.jpeg

Andy360

Go bigger. I sit 9ft from 102” and it’s great but would happily increase it if I had room.

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
I sit about 11' from a 134" 16:9, probably its 3m wide and I would go a little bigger quite happily, some talk about 1:1 for widescreen being okay and potentially more immersive. so if you are 10' away then 10' wide is still doable for 2.35:1 which is about 128" diagonal with that scope

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member

JamesP1701

Go bigger. I sit 9ft from 102” and it’s great but would happily increase it if I had room.
Thanks. I've now been reading that the larger screen will require more lumins which will affect the contrast. Don't really want to compromise on image quality so will probably leave as is.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Thanks. I've now been reading that the larger screen will require more lumins which will affect the contrast. Don't really want to compromise on image quality so will probably leave as is.
Your projector will easily do a 106” screen.

Doctor Smith

I'm currently turning a bedroom into a cinema room. Seated about 7.5 ft away from screen. Will a 2.39.1 at 97inch diagonal be too big? Thanks

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
in my experience bigger = better.

igorxxxx

Standard Member
I sit ~2.4 meters from a 100" 16x9 screen in my living room and with 16x9 movies for me personally is on the limit of comfortable vs immersive viewing.Any bigger and I think it would be too much for me.

But this is probably a very personal decision and what feels "right".

Regarding the lumens output, I have no problems at all with HDR content on Medium lamp / D.Cinema mode and I am almost always clamping down the iris on the Epson, but I understand that maybe people prefer brighter images.

Also, my lamp is less then 100 hours, so there is that :)

3rdignis

Do you have an alr screen?

3rdignis

If your looking at a New screen read up on ambient light rejecting screens.

Ambient light is what you have in your room.

You don't want an ust (ultra short throw) alr screen.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I sit ~2.4 meters from a 100" 16x9 screen in my living room and with 16x9 movies for me personally is on the limit of comfortable vs immersive viewing.Any bigger and I think it would be too much for me.

But this is probably a very personal decision and what feels "right".

Regarding the lumens output, I have no problems at all with HDR content on Medium lamp / D.Cinema mode and I am almost always clamping down the iris on the Epson, but I understand that maybe people prefer brighter images.

Also, my lamp is less then 100 hours, so there is that :)

why are u closing down the irisis rather than running eco mode rather than medium? surely put lamp to eco and open the iris?

igorxxxx

Standard Member
why are u closing down the irisis rather than running eco mode rather than medium? surely put lamp to eco and open the iris?

Thanks for bringing up that point, it was something that I wanted to ask here when I got the Epson, but I somehow forgot.

I am using Eco for non-HDR material, which is at the moment a small part of my movie collection, and mostly Medium for HDR.

Pardon my rookie ignorance, but the main reason (besides it looks good) for going with Medium was due to a lot of posts on forums mentioning lamp flicker and running new lamps in Eco only mode.Is this not needed?

I hope the OP will not mind, but since this topic was mentioned, technically what would be better, running in Eco mode with iris fully open, or Medium with iris partially close and why? Lamp hours are not important since I am using the PJ for a movie or two during the week.

Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom