Is Gladiator Extended Special Edition DVD worth buying?

RHCP

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Is Gladiator Extended Special Edition worth buying?

How much extra is in the movie?

Also I'm going to Rome next month and want to watch some other movies about Rome, I'm thinking Spartacus.

Has anyone got any more Ideas of movies I should watch?

Cheers :)

According to dvdcompare, 17 minutes of additional footage, but the theatrical version is not included (if I read it right)

3 coins in a fountain

But are those 17 minutes worth buying the extended version for?

I've been looking at the series "Rome", anyone seen it?

I believe it is a response to your request for films to watch about Rome :)

it was indeed....sorry if it was too complicated.

Should of left this in the General Chat forum, I would of got a lot more replies.

Seems all the film buffs are still stuffing their faces with chocolate and rabbit stew :D

Found this review for you. Also :) Seems I may be wrong and you can choose theatrical and extended, so you may as well get the director's cut? Or maybe you do only get one version. Its all confusing :D

If you've watched the theatrical version and the deleted scenes that came with it on the earlier disc release, then you've seen all there is to see in the Extended Edition of Gladiator. They have just cut the deleted stuff back in.

Rome is a very good series covering the Julius Ceaser period. I doubt you'd learn much about Rome as it is today from it though.

Seems all the film buffs are still stuffing their faces with chocolate and rabbit stew :D

Found this review for you. Also :) Seems I may be wrong and you can choose theatrical and extended, so you may as well get the director's cut? Or maybe you do only get one version. Its all confusing :D

It gets even better because the 'Theatrical cut' is the 'Director's cut' . I still think the 'Extended cut' is worth having though, but I prefer the region 1 'Theatrical cut' with the DTS-ES Discrete soundtrack. Incidentally, the introduction by Ridley Scott to the 'Extended Edition' is telling. Any doubt as to which version he prefers is immediately dispelled by his total lack of enthusiasm and insistence on pointing out that it is not a 'Director's cut'.

The Lizzie McGuire Movie?
Roman Holiday

Also I'm going to Rome next month and want to watch some other movies about Rome, I'm thinking Spartacus.

Roman Holiday

Roma - Fellini's love letter to the city (unless you're The Pope :D )

La Dolce Vita - also by Fellini and quite simply one of the coolest movies ever made. Anita Ekberg in The Trevi Fountain - classic. :smashin:

Also while you're at it watch Amarcord, not about Rome, but it's got Italians in it and it is quite simply one of the best movies you will ever see in your life. :thumbsup:

Rome is a very good series covering the Julius Ceaser period. I doubt you'd learn much about Rome as it is today from it though.

I just want to get a feel for the place, if you know what I mean!

Cheers Everyone

I'm off to scour the internet for all these movies listed :smashin:

The theatrical version includes the deleted scenes with Ridley Scott commentary. His reasons for cutting the scenes are very interesting, make sense and offer a great insight into the director's methods etc.

Sticking them all back in is just a cynical attempt to get people who love the movie to buy it twice.

Sticking them all back in is just a cynical attempt to get people who love the movie to buy it twice.

I bought it twice but for the extras of the SE as it is one of my favourite films. I also got it for just £4 as well which is excellent for a 3 disc set.

I bought it twice but for the extras of the SE as it is one of my favourite films. I also got it for just £4 as well which is excellent for a 3 disc set.

:rotfl:

No arguments here mate, I bought it twice too :D

I didnt realise there was a DTS-ES release of the movie? my two disc special edition jobbie from when it came out was just conventional DTS.....

i was tempted by the extended edition but saw only DD and just thought, no, i cant cope without my DTS....heh (sorry but the Gladiator soundtrack deserves the DTS treatment....lol)

I didnt realise there was a DTS-ES release of the movie? my two disc special edition jobbie from when it came out was just conventional DTS.....

i was tempted by the extended edition but saw only DD and just thought, no, i cant cope without my DTS....heh (sorry but the Gladiator soundtrack deserves the DTS treatment....lol)

Yeah, the initial two disc release was ES Discrete on reg 1 and ES Matrix on reg 2.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom