is FULL HD overrated?

I know someone that got 1080p and 100hz nothing else would do ,his only source is sky sd via the scart input:rolleyes:.

i get this all the time at work.
customer told me his son reccomended a 1080p set otherwise the pixels would be HUGE on standard TV.
I asked "with respect, what does your son do for a living?"
customer answered (no word of a lie here) "nothing, he's 7".

1080p is where all the gold in the world is.
i tell all customers, a TV is only as good as what you put thru it and you can spend a boatload on a top spec TV and if you feed it a bad signal, you'll see a bad picture.
i usually get accused of tryng to hard sell into blu ray player and sky hd to earn commission.
the dark side of working for Dixons group....you can have all the product knowledge in the world but the general public are distrustful of you and would rather side with the pub expert.

My Pio 427XD which wasn't full HD totally pisses on my full HD Panny VT20 for SD and Sky HD but I think it's because the Pio deals with poorer signals.

A lot of good posts on here with some very good points.

I had a 42'' PX80 spent ages in the shops comparing against the 1080p Z80. I could see the difference, when I knew I was looking at a 1080p and standing about 2ft away.:rolleyes: The thing is I sit 7ft+ away from it, so saved 200 and got the PX80.

I now have a 42'' V20, was never happy with the PX80, it wasnt the res though, it just didnt have the deep blacks I expected and seemed flat compared to the G10 when it came out. Ther is more detail on my V20(playing blurays) Avatar has more detail on my new set its undeniable. The most impressive thing is the contrast though, no point in having 1080p if contrast is crp, its contrast that gives depth and the pop IMO, the extra shadow detail isnt down to 1080p ether. 1080p is an improvement for 1080p material on my new set, but!, if it wasnt for the other more important (IMO) improvements like greyscal, gamma, colour gamut, contrast I doubt it would be noticeable just as it wast on the z80.

As many have said their is no point in having 1080p if your not going to be watching 1080p material. And sorry but 'no', most Xbox games do not run in 1080p(the amount of game forums going about who has the most 1080p games cracks me up lol), they can be upscaled to 1080p, thats not better, its upscaled lol. Same goes for PS3, its hard to make a game with high polly counts and decent physics run at a decent frame rate, trying to get over 30 fps at 720p on console is tricky let alone 1080p.

Only point in having a 1080p 32'' set or smaller is fo pc use, you just wont notice the difference on anything else (unless you sit the same distance for 1080p films I guess lol) its just marketing bull IMO at that size for most.

Personally at below 50'' other things are way more important IMO.

Just noticed this is the same old thread I posted on a while back lol.

OK so how do you rate 1080p in imortance compared to everything else?

I spose the whole 1080p vs 720p debate is going to be mute soon, arent most sets 1080p now anyway? I still find it funny that people who dont watch 1080p brag there tellys can do it and go on about how important it is ( not aimed at you lot) lol brain washed or what, I mean is a 300 odd quid LCD going to be good just because its 1080p? lol.

just to add my pennys worth to this wonderfull debate
my folks have a panasonic tx-32lxd85 i have watched from F1, motogp, football to the normal day to day stuff shown and its by far has best picture i have seen ands its an 720p hd ready lcd. most of the family were around for xmas and when i was discussing tv's all of them were gobsmacked that it wasnt an led 1080p such is the quality of the picture
so what i am trying to say here is that to the untrained eye all this stuff about 720p,1080i, 1080p lcd/led does'nt really matter if your happy with it. i looked at buying one but have been told they are not sold anymore

I always think that the best electronics to buy are the cheapest (not talking about AIWA of course:D ...believe me, and that includes HD Ready plasmas , DVD players
and Hifi micros (they serve also as an upgrade to tv speakers) thats cause each year
you have zillions of new stuff and none of the High-end ones are demonstrated
to be more reliable than entry level ones.

As for true 1080p is a matter of size, even the Samsung 50" C450 plasma (1366X768)
has a terrific resolution

Last edited:
Why waste cash on 100% HD viewing when your eyes cannot function at 100% . I went into specsavers the other day and said "I need my eyes testing". They said "We thought you did , the way you walked in through the window" ! Achieve less and stay happy.

Cheap route is to buy 1080 TV without HD receiver and then match to a twin HD recorder - as this is the year most areas will be getting HD, the non-HD receiver TVs are getting very cheap.

Cheap route is to buy 1080 TV without HD receiver and then match to a twin HD recorder - as this is the year most areas will be getting HD, the non-HD receiver TVs are getting very cheap.

are you sure you will get the full hd this way

yeah the HD sat box outputs 1080 (probably i)? So need to use your TV's de-interlacing. Still it's 1080. Not worth it for two channels though lol

I got a 50 inch 1080P Plasma in the living room. As I sit about 8 feet from it, watch Sky HD and Blu Rays on my PS3 it was a no brainier.

For the kitchen I got a 22 inch LED LCD and it is only connected to Sky via the RF2 and to a DVD player via SCART 720P is all I ever need on it.

seems that some 2011 Panasonic plasmas will have a "1080hz" (refresh rate),now... that is what I call "helping" people, if we were already confused, imagine buying a V30 ...1080p and 1080hz....:rolleyes:

led nanoled plasma 1080hz and 1080p upscaled and pixel mapping I connect my dvd with scart anyway ....to ....:lesson:

seems that some 2011 Panasonic plasmas will have a "1080hz" (refresh rate),now... that is what I call "helping" people, if we were already confused, imagine buying a V30 ...1080p and 1080hz....:rolleyes:

led nanoled plasma 1080hz and 1080p upscaled and pixel mapping I connect my dvd with scart anyway ....to ....:lesson:

Sounds like a misprint or a bit of techno-hype dreamed up by a publicity department.

tecnho hype... that´s all it is

where is it £200 more to get a 1080p version of the same 720p 42" set?

i may be wrong but im sure that was years back... you rarely get 720p sets these days and 1080p does look much better

someone just mentioned that on a 42" set they noticed that 1080p was better at 2ft away but not at 7ft away (they then said they werent happy with it and theyre new (1080p) set had better detail) - i beg too differ.. at 42" size and above the seating distance is much greater and at 7ft you can easily tell the difference...if not you need glasses - the point is it IS better - by TWO FOLD...

720p is now a thing of the past..
look here at RS LCDs
LCD TVs | Flat Screen Televisions | Richer Sounds

40"-42" LCD - not a 720p set in site - you can get 42" Panasonic 1080p for £399...

Yeah PLASMA's have a couple low res sets but thats just for cheapness, it was cheaper to produce plasmas in low res like 1024x768 etc
- for 50" LG 720p - £499 - its 1080p bretherin is £539 - £40 extra for twice the detail - thats about 8% of the sale price..extra ...to me it seems well worth it to pay the 8% extra to get twice the picture quality - you can go on about colour depth, gamma etc etc but it means nothing when concerning the actual 'detail' in the picture which is what most people go off when judging good picture quality.

I had a 720p 32" TV... as SOON as i got the 1080p set I could notice the difference straight away - instead of 1 million pixels there is 2 million so when im watching SKY+HD or my Blu-Ray movies the picture quality is much better - I have a 32" set and sit about 5-6ft away and I could tell the difference on that.. someone saying "32 inch should just be for PC's"...bah humbug.. tell that to majority of the country that have 32" as their main TV in living room

snadge
720p maybe a thing of the past but so far i have not seen a better picture than from a 32'' 720p panny and i have spent the last year looking for a tv in the £1000ish price range

snadge
720p maybe a thing of the past but so far i have not seen a better picture than from a 32'' 720p panny and i have spent the last year looking for a tv in the £1000ish price range

then your not looking hard enough - that sort of price range is reserved more for larger sets... you'll be lucky to find a 32" for £1000+

dont judge a 50" 1080p to a 32" 720p cos thats not a true/fair comparison... you should be judging same size sets 32" 1080p vs 32" 720p - the reason is because the 50" set is much bigger and so has bigger pixels and the smaller set has smaller pixels - at same distance there is a good chance it will look better, 32" 1080p vs 32" 720p OR 50" 1080p vs 50" 720p is what you should be comparing - and dont go off the crap that some TV shops have displaying on the sets...majority of them are usualy connected to scart freeviews and havent been tweaked - your best going of reviews by independent sites aswell as taking a look for yourself instore and determining what theyre displaying (if its freeview or HD/Blu-Ray - check the cable at the back if its HDMI and source if you can) and having a play with settings via remote to see if you can make it any better as most TV's are in STORE MODE which is bright and vibrant to attract customers attention - this mode is not what you would have in front room and can usually have colours bleeding into one another

Last edited:
i see you point snadge but all i was trying to say was that i have not seen a better picture and that has come from a 720p
and as for not looking hard enough please feel free to tell me what is better and i will check it out, the sort of tv i am looking at is txl42d25 for about £800ish what do you think? i am trying to stay away from plasma because of the heat and running cost's 42'' will be the biggest and 37 would be ideal
:smashin:

I see wot you mean now - from another 720p set - i thought you meant from any TV...sorry

I dont really have time to start searching to see what T's are good but I will have a little look for you, initially checking the one you mention seems that its a good edge-lit LED LCD TV - if you plan to stick it in the corner of the room then it loses its aesthetic value as people wont be able to notice how thin it is... you could have a massic box behind it in corner of room and no-one would see it, this is purpose of edge-lit LED's - you can also get back-lit LED with "local dimming" that are as thin as edge-lit TV's nowadays - however that one you mention does score quite highly with HDTV-TEST
Panasonic TX-L42D25/TX-L42D25B/TXL42D25/TX-L32D25 Review

only thing i dont like about it (which a lot of TV manufacturers fail on apart from LG I know of) is the OSD (on Screen Display) fills the whole screen so when trying to calibrate you cant see the picture underneath...well, according to the screenshots on the link above anyway... my LG puts the option you choose to change to the bottom of screen so u can see - that Panasonic may do that too

so yeah that TV is great.. Panasonic were voted the best hardware manufacturer of 2010 - theyve always been top in my book but that doesnt mean another company doesnt have a better/cheaper TV...

I will have a little look for you now

your Panny you thinking of sounds great BUT it doesnt have Motion Interpolation which I think is essential to have at least as an option in this day & age of TV's due to motion stutter which is a limitation of LCD/PLASMA panels due to the way they work.. 100Hz/200Hz though on some sets is said to be poor, ive only ever seen it once on a Samsung LED 1.5 years back and it was amazing when watching a film it made it feel more realistic...like going from film/movie mode to 'live video' mode - some people like , some dont... it must be a good feature if a lot of TV's add it but some TV's do it good and some do it bad - a TV I know does it good is Sony's MOTIONFLOW ...

anyway after just a quick look (I will be shot down in flames by other users with these choices but i just dont have time)

LG Infinia 42LE7900 is in your price range and gets half decent reviews..
LG Infinia 42LE7900 42in LED LCD TV review - TV reviews - TrustedReviews

Sony KDL40NX713 also gets decent reviews and has 100Hz motionflow

your best spending a good few hours trawling the web for reviews

TRUSTED REVIEWS is a good source and here is a search for 33"-42" TV's under £1000 that score an 8/10 or above
Filter Results - TrustedReviews

....this 40" Philips is supposed to have outstanding picture quality ive read that before on other site - along with AMBI-LIGHT it should be good, it can go online AND play HD or SD movies from USB drive
Philips 40PFL7605H review - TV reviews - TrustedReviews

the Panny G20 gets good review (although ugly TV compared to others)
Panasonic Viera TX-P42G20 42in Plasma TV review - page 4 - TV reviews - TrustedReviews

The fact that Panasonic has managed to squeeze a Full HD pixel count into the P42G20B helps colours too, as colour blends are rendered smoothly and accurately, with only the very occasional appearance of plasma's once-common colour striping phenomenon.

Not surprisingly, the P42G20B's high resolution also pays dividends when it comes to delivering the sharpness and detail in HD sources. In fact, its performance with good quality Blu-ray discs is borderline flawless for me - or, at least, it's more cinematic than that of any other flat TV around for the same sort of money.

...who says Full-HD is overrated?

there is also the Samsung UE40C6530 to consider which is supposed to be good..
Samsung UE40C6530 Dark Wood | 40 inch LED TV 1080p HD Ready Freeview HD | Richer Sounds

snadge

:smashin: you need a $1.000+ 1080p tv to achieve the same solid textures than
the 32" LG PG6000 plasma

the debate is not wether a 1080p tV is better than a 720p, and again as I posted before we can´t compare since today most 720p TV are the low entry TV and the two different tecnologies (LCD and Plasma)

The point is... do people really need 1080p? not the poeple that come to AVforums, I mean our friends, family who dont know %%% about TVs, do they really eed a 1080p TV ,when they are going to use SD video and sd broadcasting 90% of their time.

Are people buying TVs(even the crapy ones) just because of the sticker (full HD)? in that sense is the full HD overated

I am not saying that 720p is better than 1080 (eventhough in my experience it is better for SD )

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom