1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Fujitsu P42VHA30es 'upgradeable'?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Uzey, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being extremely interested in buying a plasma and also a new 'DVI - out' DVD player I have shortlisted the Panasonic PW6 and Fujitsu VHA30. I have, however, learnt that the Fujitsu does not come with a 'DVI - in' socket (only the US model does .... GRRRRRRR!) and so I was sold on the Panasonic. Then today I have learnt that Panasonic customer service is beyond awful and I have no wish to part with my hard earned ackers with them. So...... Will I be able to buy a 'terminal card' and upgrade the Fujitsu to DVI (like the older VHA20) or should I try and buy a VHA20 at a bargain price or maybe just swallow my pride and buy the Panny?
    I am being torn apart here so please, someone, HELP!!!!!!!:mad:

2. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    AFAIK the cards from the oler model are not compatable.
    MAW has already commented about this in another Fujitsu thread.
    As for Panny or Fujitsu?? I know which I would go for!

3. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Either are great screens, but Fuji undoubtably offer better service and support.

I have seen both screens in action and they are very similar picture feel (strangely enough ;)). Personally I prefered the Panny styling and modular input approach and could also get the Panny deal for a better price from AV-Sales...

If you buy the Panny from a reputable dealer, who will help when things go wrong, I think you should be OK...

JJ

4. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since it's not clearly stated I thought I'd mention that the Fuji VHA20 and VHA30 plasmas use respectively the Pana 5 and Pana 6 glasses... :lesson:
    However obviously the electronics and more importantly picture processing are Fuji's - which some find even better than the Pana's... :D

But I'm sure ya'all knew this... :devil:

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    There is definitely no DVI upgrade available now or in the future for Fujitsu. They are taking the 'wait and see' approach on the whole subject. There is no point in your DVI dvd player with the Panasonic, it will only work on R1 discs. Fujitsu had this and other DVI problems, and are choosing the 'chicken out' way until it's sorted. Your only option is Pioneer, unless someone is going to tell me a Samsung will work? The MXE 433 is a good buy currently, new 433 due in June. Last few silver ones still available, and I think most inc. me have stock of charcoal. The DVI is NOT HDCP compliant, so no 868's or the like, just the plain DVI players should work though. The new model will use the 5002 video card also, so no upgrade on DVI. If you want HDCP you have to buy the HDE model.

6. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    MAW,

Joe Fernand mentioned that the new 434/504MXE models had a DVI input built-in to the panel. I would hope that this one would be HDCP compatible, which would give the best of both worlds with NR available on the card DVI input. Has the release now slipped from April to June?

Steve

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    504 is in april, 433 seems to be june, but don't hold me to it. See above re HDCP !!!!! The sales guys at Pioneer still don't have spec. but I have spoken to the tech team, this is the word at the moment, But it's possible that it will change, but of course that will be a time slip.

8. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Re: Fujitsu, while the new series models sold in Europe don't even have a DVI blade (I think they do in the US) you could look for a previous gen model, like the P42VHA20 (was first out a year ago), that not only has DVI but in addition is HDCP compliant...

With the FCC/Hollywood/... clearly stating DVI and HDCP as a *requirement* for any high bandwidth digital TV equipment (not that I approve it, it's just a fact), one has to wonder what exactly is the manuf's "strategy" these days, putting out expensive monitors without DVI or HDCP (let alone HDMI), especially with the cost of adding DVI down to < 0.00...1% of the overall manuf' price ... :mad:

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Pezee, DVI is not a tiny fraction of the cost any more. New EC legislation puts a 14% tariff on anything with a DVI/HDMI interface on it. Re classified as a television apparently.