Is Freeview & topup programming any good?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by neilneil, Nov 27, 2004.

1. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I'm thinking of ditching sky and getting freeview with topup tv and a HDD recorder.
    Looking at some top up TV channels Discovery H&L for example only seems to play from 6am to 12:00 midday then it switches over to plain Discovery channel.

Does that mean we will not see the stuff we usually watch on discovery H&L between 7:00pm to 11:00pm?

I wouldn't mind if they played the evening programs at 6:00am to 12:00 because the HDD recorder could timeshift it for us. But looking at the EPG on Sky shows different programs in the morning to the evening programs.

Likewise is the stuff transmitted on UK style in the evening the same programs transmitted on sky at that time?

Are they really claiming that they show more channels than they really do by shareing one slot with two channels.

Does the same thing happen with any standard freeview channels ie channel only shown half the day?

No comments about our sad TV viewing habits please. :)

-Neil

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Freeview is excellent value considering it's a one off fee, the HD STB's are also a reasonable price and benefit from a workable EPG now.
    Personally I think TUTV is not worth the money but if the channels it carries are the ones you actually watch on a £19.50 SKY Family pack then it's better value even allowing for the time shared nature:)

SKY, Freeview and now TUTV have all been guilty of labelling part time TV, radio and interactive elements as "channels" in an effort to make their products look better to people who are not fully informed, it's just marketing:)

3. heidi_ni

heidi_ni

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could those Freeview digital TV Receiver sold in the uK be also used in Australia?