Is freeview satellite different to freesat ?

paffren

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently bought and installed a cheap satellite setup from Focus and it is fine and works well with 94% signal strength and 78% quality. I had it on Astra 2a, 2b and 2d and also on Eurobird 1 but now just on Astra as there were too many channel numbers for my head to cope with. A friend of mine saw it and liked the idea but he bought the twin tuner Humax Foxsat and had an installer set it up. If I bought a Humax would it work with the dish I put up if I fitted a multiple LNB and another cable or are there other considerations ? I'm trying to get away from terrestrial freeview as I live on a busy road and traffic causes problems with signal sometimes.

Terrestrial is the only Freeview there is, so the "freeview satellite" in your header doesn't exist.
On the satellites you list at 28E there's Sky, and some of the channels there that can be received without subscription can be seen on Freesat or FreesatFrom Sky, or simply by free satellite.
If there is only a single LNB on the current antenna then you could certainly get a quad with an additional cable, and use that for recording one channel while watching another, with any satellite DVR.

The channel list I get is different to the one he gets on his Humax, I've done some more research and free to air satellite and Freesat are two different things. If I can just use the dish I have with a multiple LNB that answers my question thanks. Some of the terrestrial broadcasts like Dave and Quest are not available so I think I may keep my aerial for a while yet, thanks.

The channel list I get is different to the one he gets on his Humax, I've done some more research and free to air satellite and Freesat are two different things. If I can just use the dish I have with a multiple LNB that answers my question thanks. Some of the terrestrial broadcasts like Dave and Quest are not available so I think I may keep my aerial for a while yet, thanks.

The actual channels you're able to receive with your FTA satellite box (& a dish pointed at 28E) are exactly the same as with a Freesat box. The essential difference is that the Freesat box gives you an easy-to-use 8-day programme guide, whereas you almost certainly get only "now & next" with your box.

To take advantage of Freesat, you don't need the Humax Foxsat recorder your friend has, or need two feeds from the dish - a Freesat receiver, either SD or HD, & the single feed you now have would do. Freesat receivers are much cheaper than the Humax HDR, & Argos sell a Bush HD receiver at a little over £67 - with the SD boxes less than that (as against about £230 to £250 for the HDR).

That would be a good improvement over the now and next on the epg button at present. I was thinking of the Humax as the twin tuner DVR we have on terrestrial is a boon but the break up is a pain. If I could do the same on satellite it would improve the reception and simplify recording as I record from satellite via scart onto a DVD/HDD at the moment and it means programming twice to get one recording. I'll think about it for a bit longer, when the snow has gone I might get the ladder out and see what else I can sort out. :smashin:

I personally prefer 'now and next'. I find the 8 day guide confusing.

Are you serious? If so, without wishing to be rude, I can only say that you must get confused very easily.

And, confused or not, how can you have any idea what's on in a few hours (or few days) time with a "Now & Next" EPG?

Bet you hate going to a restaurant when there's both a knife and a fork on the table too don't you?

Bet you hate going to a restaurant when there's both a knife and a fork on the table too don't you?

What's really confusing are chopsticks - how do you tell the difference between the left & righthand sticks?

Yes very funny.

I'd just prefer if there was an option to switch to 'now and next' in grid view. ie one column for now and one column for next. Like my old freeview box did. Quick and simple.

Now see the below example, at a quick glance what time is Eisteddford yr Urdd Sir Gar 2007 on?

Also, gerneral navigating left/right is too slow. I'd prefer to use one of these:

whats_on_tv_cover_august_2006.jpg

Try clicking on Stacey's picture to set a series recording to automatically record every episode :eek:

You might also like to look at the left/right skip keys that can jump 2hrs or 24 hrs.

And also how can you search for when a particular programme is on and repeated so you can record it.

Can the paper version tell you how to record the programme and avoid clashing with other programmes ?

Last edited:
But, on the other hand, the seven day guide isn't going to help with the most important question of all:-

"Will Bradley dump her?????"

But, on the other hand, the seven day guide isn't going to help with the most important question of all:-

"Will Bradley dump her?????"

:rotfl:

anyway, do people still record tv? that's so last decade.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom