1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Football THAT bad on a plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by astirling, Dec 12, 2004.

1. astirling

astirling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    My PDP-435XDE is currently sitting boxed in the hallway awaiting the arrival of my optimum AV stand (Tuesday apparently :clap: ) Been reading lots about how bad football is on plasmas and I'm a bit worried. I'm a massive football fan and I'm gonna be pretty gutted if all I can see is a blocky mess. Are things really that bad? Fair enough I can watch spanish football on my 32" CRT and see that the picture quality is rubbish but the premiership matches on SKY look pretty damn good. How can they be so bad on a plasma? Are they gonna look worse than those dodgy blocky documentary channels?

2. nicklang

nicklang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    I have a PW7 with a sony freeview box converted to VGA by a JS box and I am very impressed with the PQ of football.

Only one way to find out though, open it up and give it a go :smashin:

3. Bonzodogdick

Bonzodogdick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is for me. I support Wolves! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

4. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not as bad as for me....am a leeds supporter!!

5. NapoleonGuitarSolo

NapoleonGuitarSolo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    wolves for me too and I have to say cwoj it's a tight call. I wish we had bought Healey. I saw him a few times when he was on loan from Manu at Port Vale and he looked a good 'un.

Ooops, am I gonna get flamed for being off topic?

Seriously though, I never realised how bad football could look on telly until I bought a 100hz tv. I know technology moves on but I am concerned about spending serious money on a panel if it won't get my football a bit closer back to where I once was when I had my old bog standard sony of yester year.

6. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,311
    me too - tough life huh ?? :)

7. kwijibo

kwijibo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a Pioneer 43mxe1 and sky/BBC football is great. No problems at all. (FRC mode 2 makes a huge difference to fast moving images)

8. astirling

astirling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    FRC mode 2????

9. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Football is excellent on Viera 42 via Freeview here, but I've not got Sky which I understand has reputation for poorer picture quality than Freeview. Apart from any intrinsic characteristics the sheer size of a large plasma screen is ruthless in exposing shortcomings in the feed.

10. Ken

Ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm not a football fan, but I watched some highlights tonight on freewiew and a PW7; I was very impressed, the action was very smooth. I remember it being pretty awful on a 100hz philips 32" I once had.

Ken

11. dj_johnnyg

dj_johnnyg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pio 435 XDE and Sky+ box.

Got the two hooked up via RGB scart using a QED Squart 4110.

I'm not the biggest football fan (I support Oxford Utd!), and although the PQ doesn't come up to scratch compared with Analogue Footy from BBC on a CRT, it is perfectly watchable on the Pio panel.

Like all TV's CRT, LCD or Plasma, IMHO I think that image quality of footy through a digital source is a bit shoddy. It seems (to my eyes anyway) that the MPEG encoding is quite up to scratch with fast paced live broadcasts. (I say that, because fast paced DVD footage seems superb).

Anyway, I digress.

Make sure you set up the plasma input to RGB (I didn't at first), and then play with the noise reduction and other settings in the setup menu's. After about 20 minutes of playing around, you should get a decent enough image.

On main problem I find, not just with football, is that if the channel is broadcasting on a fairly low bit-rate (such as the UKTV channels) then large areas of the same colour (Like a footy pitch) seem to have large areas of darker and lighter shades. (I know it sounds confusing, but I don't know how to explain it.)

Hope at least one sentence in that was worthwhile!

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That's not the easiest screen to get a top notch scart picture on in my experience, but patience will reward you with a watchable picture. At least 1/2 the trouble is that you are effectively watching through a 43" magnifying glass, so you will see all the problems they are broadcasting.

13. kwijibo

kwijibo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    FRC mode 2

Do a search on it as MAW, Gordon and Joe have all posted much more sense than I will on the subject. Suffice to say that with this correct the frame rate is such than there is no jerkiness where the camera moves. It makes Football, Tennis, Horse Racing, Motor Sports etc all very watchable. (And film of course)

14. Nicky

Nicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yep, I'd just second everyone who's said there isn't a fundamental problem with plasma and football like there is (was?) with LCD. The big pic just shows up any flaws in the encoding or connections to a greater degree.

Used to have a stb rgb scart -> JS tech box -> VGA which could give a great football picture. Now using a stb rgb scart -> DVD/HDD recorder -> component which is noticablely weaker but still perfectly reasonably.

15. Tra300

Tra300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony 42" (KE-42TS2E) and it is a bit special (on both SKY and terrestrial)!!!!

16. astirling

astirling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    FRC mode 2 does not seem to exist on my screen. How about advanced Pure Cinema?? Will that do something similar?