1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Firewire port and Adobe Premier enough ?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Merlin, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Merlin

Merlin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Total newbie to getting footage off My MiniDV Panasonic MX8 and onto PC. My CreativeLabs Audigy Player pci sound card has the correct firewire connection and it performs well a review says. I gather I dont need to purchase a video capture card like the matrox RS2000 (their latest are not Win98, and =£ to a camcorder !, I shall shortly have their G550 2D3D card), I just need a firewire port, and editing prog like Premier, is that true ?
    I still have yet to use my AdobePremierv4 prog, I believe in Adobe and use Photoshop heavily so compatability there as well, anyway its Adobe so its industry quality (well the latest will be !), Microsoft...not in my good books at present ! Its from Win95 days and I am Win98 (2Gb 11minute limit to footage and poor memory management I know but currently staying with win98 and maybe for a long time [another story ...pissing me off bigtime and the fault of Microsoft ! ] ). Box says i486 or pentium, 16Mb RAM recommended, 100MB HD (500MB recommended !). Being serious about anything I get into, I plan to upgrade but it can't happen just yet and I need to suss the principles of this editing etc. Given I have a 500MhzPIII and 128MbRAM I would like to dabble with this first.
    So I plumb my camcorder into the firewire, then what ? Premier manual makes no mention of what to do, keeps talking about existing clips !!! but I believe from Panasonic that such software like this does the capturing...?
    What does one do next to get a digital file created ?
    Merlin
    :confused:

2. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    premier is not really industry quality. serious home user sure.. but a <£1000 application is never going to be industry quality :) if you want something closer, try Avid DV Xpress w/ Powerpack. closer to £2000 and you can get training CDs and doesn't appear that hard to get into.

personally, i really can't get into premier, i find its the same as most adobe products, great for those who know their way around em, but a pain in the ass to learn with. hence i use Vegas 4.0 (and i've gotten so many people to at least check it out) 30day demo from www.sonicfoundry.com same "class" as premier, but i got a lot further a lot faster in it. some people like it, some don't. give it a whirl.

but to answer your main question, yes you have enough hardware, you just need a firewire cable if you don't have one. 128mb of ram is not really going to be enough for decent video editing. plus if you don't have a big harddisk set to NTFS get that sorted too. 1 hour of DV = ~12gb, its a complete pain, but you need it in lossless to edit with. as for premier capping, then i remember it having analog capping (when i used to use it (or attempt to use it) for vhs capping in university) so i think it'll have DV capture built in too, 99.9% :)

enjoy

3. Merlin

Merlin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JayX
    Thanks for response, yes I see Panasonic didnt supply Firewire cable so I will get that. Still puzzled though by what I need click on etc having plumbed in camcorder and launched Premier.
    When do I click play on camcorder ? What do I select in an edit prog especially Premier or your suggestion ? It is pleasing to know that capture (capping ?) is possible without need to buy a capture card , just need a firewire link to Motherboard ( I assume thats what audigy does)..so the conversion is done by the program, it performs a file conversion,...am I right ??
    Thanks for prog suggestion, I shall look into it, though having paid loads of money for Premier, I must consider if upgrade better than a new prog...versus ease of use...performance, stability and ease of use get my vote at end of day.
    Merlin :)

4. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    fair nuff, if you've paid for a product you should be able to use it ;)

i haven't got premier installed atm, so i can't help you on that, but if u install vegas, i can show you how to cap with that until you get the guides for premier? (you'd still be able to use the files with premier without a problem)

in vegas > click File , Capture Video, and it loads up VidCap40.exe its cap program, then u can choose to capture parts of the video (using timecodes or manually) or the entire tape etc. everything is controlled on the pc, you dont need to press play on the camera at all, as you have all the deck controls on screen, and u can skip thru using that. its not hard at all, and im surprised premier isn't so obvious, im sure i remember a "capture" option.

as for cap cards, they're mainly for analog capping, altho most contain firewire options too. there wont be ANY difference in a firewire card no matter what version you get, except you might have 2 ports, or you might have 3. my dazzle has 2. only ever used the one :)

good luck :)

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    To capture with Premiere (I've got 6.0 but should be the same!) open Premiere once cam is connected and put in VCR mode then click on 'File' and from menu click 'Capture'.
    You will need a firewire cable that is 6 pin (goes to PC) to 4 pin (goes to cam).
    I have helped a few people on this forum and anybody that has tried to capture useing the Audigy ieee1394 port has had problems as it is NOT fully compatable. I would strongly suggest that you spend around £20 on a PCI firewire card (and this should come with the correct DV cable).

Mark.

6. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I had an Audigy, same as you. I found I could record from camcorder to PC fine, but when I tried to record back to camcorder, the video would break up all the time, and the camcorder would stop and start.

I could not fix this problem, so I got a new Firewire PCI card and everything worked fine after that.

Like MarkE19 says"I would strongly suggest that you spend around £20 on a PCI firewire card "

I did, and am now happy with my video editing.

I was one of the people that MarkE19 Helped out, Thanks agian MarkE19.....:smashin:

7. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    Premiere 4 does not support Firewire so you will not be able to capture straight into it.

I know V6 does (because that's what I use) but I think that V6 was the first to do so in which case you will need to upgrade :(

8. Merlin

Merlin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys, pity I didnt know about the PCI firewire card tip before I paid for a cable, hope the shop will do a part exchange IF the card I get has one. I shall try Vegas 4 and a Premier 6 demo on the same project and compare, before deciding to upgrade to Premiere 6 .
    Next obstacle now is finding time and installing a 4Gb scsi HD for the space.
    Cheers
    Steve