1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is 'Firefly' as good a mini series as they say?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Gorshin, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I thought it was quite good and showed lots of potential. Sort of cowboys in space. I don't know why the show got canceled but I've heard a rumour about a movie been made:)

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    The movie is called Serenity and is in production. You can go to the films website. Don't remember the address off hand...something like serenitythemovie.com

I think that actually Buffy is very grown up and that Firefly was just not good enough considering what we know Joss Whedon is capable of. I'll still go to see the flm though..

Gordon

4. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought Firefly was one of the best series I have seen in a long while. Great characters; each with their own background and story. Acting was top class. Their was some real great one liners and humour was excellent. Dialogue and general script was great too.

I'm not a big fan of Buffy or Angel as I tend to think that the scripts and stories were not particularly imaginative and were often very samey (based on the few episodes I forced myself to watch). Having said that, this is obviously because it was predominantly a show aimed at young teenagers and so worked very well.

I was thus quite skeptical about Firefly knowing that it was written (mostly) and directed by the same guy who did Buffy and Angel, Joss Whedon. Well, I needn't have been as it is excellent and I am amazed it got cancelled. I think this was just due to the marketing not being done well and the fact that Fox in the states seemed to have a huge reluctance to air the show as Joss Whedon intended. The pilot episode was shown last.

The show has certainly gained mainy fans worldwide, especially since the DVD was released. I for one can't wait for the release of the movie and would love it to spawn a tv series again, but I think that this has already been declared as a no go, even if the movie does well.

Go buy the DVD! You won't be disappointed! I watch the whole series twice in the first two weeks of buying it and have also listened to all the commentaries too which prove interesting listening, (except maybe one of the Joss Whedon commentaries where he went off on some strange insight lecture!)

Daz

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Firefly was THE series of last year, criminal neglect by FOX for it's scheduling and running order, it didn't stand a chance of success:(

Downloaded the show off the net, watched it on SciFI, bought the R1 boxset and watched it time and time again.
    It is simply quality adult themed scifi, can't wait for the movie:)

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,489
    I have to give the opposite opinion I watched 3 of the first episodes but I did not think it was up to much. Maybe if I watch more I may have enjoyed it more and at the time there was a thread and it was popular with some members.

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Can't argue with that.
    Although it would depend upon which broadcast order you were watching, FOX made a complete mess of the premiere episode by screening "The Train Job" which is one of the weakest episodes.
    UK Scifi did screen the pilot episode first which laid the groundwork and character backgrounds which is what you want for the premiere episode:)

I suppose we all like different things which is why we have multi-channel TV in the first place.

8. BlueOrange25

BlueOrange25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    I've heard good things about this series and would consider buying it on DVD if I thought the price was low enough. If it's as good as they say, then it would be a shame that it lasted only one season.

Considering the number of poor sci-fi shows that have lasted a while ('Andromeda', 'Voyager', the final few seasons of 'The X-Files'), it seems a shame that others are not given more of a chance :( . Would have loved to see 'Space Above and Beyond' given a longer run, and would definitely be up for a DVD release :) .

9. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Thats funny because I loved 'Voyager' and thought 'Space Above and Beyond' was appauling.

'Farscape' was one of the worst tv shows in history as far as i'm concerned.

10. BlueOrange25

BlueOrange25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    lol Agree with you there on 'Farscape' :D .

11. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I really enjoyed Farscape and watched every episode without fail:)

12. Urotsukidoji

Urotsukidoji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have my pity. :nono:

13. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    :)
    I watched Farscape episode 2 on BBC2, thought it was utter trash.
    Just happended to catch season 2 episode 1 of Farscape on SciFi a year or so later and I was hooked, the DVD collection is one of the best out there:)

14. Urotsukidoji

Urotsukidoji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the best 5.1 soundtrack for a tv show. I have a HGS 18 and farscape has a below 20hz moment every episode.

15. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I want to see Firefly

Farscape I enjoyed, Andromeda is a bit stuffy but is OK, Lexx was just odd - when I remember to watch it.

Voyager dragged too long

Space Above and Beyond was good - who pulled it?

16. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Space:A&B simply cost too much, not sure what ratings it was getting on FOX but they have never been a broadcaster to give a show the benefit of the doubt. At $2 million an episode back in 1995 it's perhaps understandable why anything less than no.1 in it's timeslot would be a let down for the network executives.

17. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

For what it's worth, I loved "Firefly" and Fox should be ashamed of themselves for pulling-it. It had a lot of potential, and because it wasn't an immediate success, they blamed the viewers and cancelled it. The fact that they broadcast it (in the USA) in totally the wrong order, and kept changing its timeslot on a week-to-week basis, was the real reason it got pulled!

The show was often clever, witty, acerbic and even dark on occasions! A good set of intelligent characters, that were never all that they appeared to be, and some very, very good episodes in the short run. I'd recommend the DVD set to anyone who enjoys good, intelligent and adult science-fiction, but be prepared to put some effort into the viewing of it, as not everything is spelled out for you, or cleanly wrapped-up at the end!

As for "Farscape", at first I hated it, but grew to love it. Again, if you gave the show a chance, it became a very strong, and well-crafted series, with some intelligent episodes and characters. It will be interesting to see how the new 4-hour mini-series will complete the show off, when it airs later in Autumn 2004, in the USA. I want to buy the four "Complete Season" boxed-sets, as and when they get released. (Only Seasons 1 and 2 are out so far!)

"Space: Above And Beyond" was another great show, that ended criminally. However, if you stuck with the series, it rewarded you with intelligent and adult storylines. A DVD release would be cool!

I hate "Voyager" and "Enterprise" as they are just soooo dull and boring. The characters have no life to them, and they just do the same-old, same-old every episode. Not a patch on "Deep Space Nine" or even "Next Generation".

Pooch

18. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Pattern emerging here

Fox killed Firefly

Fox killer Space Above & Beyond

I am surprised they don't own Sci Fi channel (they killed Farscape)

19. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I couldnt really get into Firefly although I couldnt really fault anything I saw, the visuals were good, the cast seemed well balanced with plenty of potential for character development etc, it just never clicked. My Brother thinks it fantastic though.

As far as Farscape goes... in my opinion its the best Sci Fi series ive seen (including Star Trek) as they had storylines that no one else would have the balls to do on a tv series, great chemistry between the characters and always something to keep you interested. I do feel it suffered later in life as people watching for the first time wouldnt have a clue what was going on, it was like they had a large fan base and they made the show for them, no complaints from me though.