Is extra Warranty needed for Plasma TV's?

Mr.Glass

Standard Member
I see a lot of ppl take out extra warrany on their new TV's!
Do you think this is needed?
I have a "new for old" policy with accidental cover on my house contents insurance, is this not enough?

Julie

I see a lot of ppl take out extra warrany on their new TV's!
Do you think this is needed?
I have a "new for old" policy with accidental cover on my house contents insurance, is this not enough?

I for one think extended warranties are needed. Too many sob stories here of folks' TVs failing just outside their 12 month guarantee period. I have a fifteen year old 29" Sony TV that's still going strong but when I buy my plasma panel later this month I'll definitely take advantage of Panasonic's 5 year guarantee, flat panel TVs are still in their infancy relatively speaking & yet to reach the stable maturity of the CRT TV I bought in the early nineties.

I wouldn't have thought your household insurance would cover a TV fault. Yes, it may cover accidental damage such as something heavy dropping on it but if an internal fault such as if the power supply fails & needs replacing I think you'll be on own. Whether you can enforce the Sale of Goods act on the supplier is another matter. From what I've read they use every argument imaginable to get out of their responsibilities & requirements with regard to this legislation.

Ben6279

You can always use the screen got dropped whilst removing from wall to redecorate reason on your household insurance :oops:

Mr.Glass

Standard Member
I just read through S&V's policy and you are correct, it's the "Electrical breakdown" that is the difference.

So I guess it's just a matter of how long?

Protection extended to:
2 Years £179
3 Years £229
5 Years £349

vickster

Distinguished Member
John Lewis give a 5 year warranty on all TVs and will price match S&V (if they stock the TV obviously) :)

Mr.Glass

Standard Member
JL wouild not price match with S&V :thumbsdow

Just a thought, but are Plasma TV's Repairable and at what cost?
Maybe a new PSU fitted would be less than the cost to insure it!

RODCULL

My understanding is that household and contents insurance tends to cover items from 'external' failures such as theft, water damage, fire/smoke damage, accidental damage etc (depending on the policy), where as extended warranties tend to cover items from 'internal' failures such as premature component failure. I went with John Lewis mainly for the peace of mind their extended warranty offers, although they weren't the cheapest when it came to buying the Plasma TV. Having said that, my old Sony CRT was still working fine when I switched over, it was still under a four year extended warranty that I had paid for and the TV itself was practically worthless as technology has moved on (in fact, I had trouble giving it away, despite still being under warranty!)...

vickster

Distinguished Member
JL wouild not price match with S&V :thumbsdow

Just a thought, but are Plasma TV's Repairable and at what cost?
Maybe a new PSU fitted would be less than the cost to insure it!

They have in the past according to the PM thread :confused: Richer sounds offer some very reasonable warranties (no idea what is covered)

mwardy

Richer are doing the 5 yrs free Panasonic warranty, aren't they? I'm sure it's been posted in another thread.

vipergrm

Yes, Richer Sounds are doing the 5 year Panasonic warranty, as are most other High Street retailers. Just a thought, have you tried contacting your house insurance company to see if they can add the TV to this? They should be able to offer you a much better deal including accidental damage than some of the ridiculous quotes you find with some online shops. :smashin:

smjxm09

All depends whether or not you feel lucky and how you would feel about getting a repair bill of several hundred of pounds if the TV was only 2 years old.

There are many posts on this forum where people bitterly regret buying a TV with a standard 12 months warranty after their TV's have failed after 18 months.

I don't normally go for extended warranties as if my 2 year old washing machine costing say £300 broke down I would buy another one but with TV's costing around a £1000 an expensive repair could be the only option. Best option is to buy from John Lewis, get a free 5 year warranty and try to get a reasonable price match without being greedy in your expectations.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom