1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is ex or es worth the money.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ewin, Dec 12, 2003.

1. ewin

ewin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I`ve got a yamaha 440 which comes with ex and es and i`m wondering if it was worth the extra money.
    As on some dvd`s that support 6.1 there isn`t really that much to write home about over standard 5.1 .
    Now i come to think about it .Are modern living rooms suited for 6.1 as i have only got about three feet behind me for center rear and the left and right rears to the side ,and feel that the center rear info gets a bit mix up with the other surrounds to be notice. the depth between speaker might not be enough like in a proper cinema.
    does anyone have any views on the subject.

2. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    When i used 7 speakers over my original 5 i found the difference effective on certain material and nows there more titles its worth trying. If you don't like it you can always sell on.

ch

ps. and most amps have a psydo mode to immitate 6.1/7.1

3. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    I upgraded to a 6/7.1 amp and although I don't have that much material I keep the extra surrounds on all the time and much prefer the soundstage.
    In fact I use my amp in 7.1 mode for all viewing - Sky, PS2, movies, DVD, etc.

4. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think EX and ES soundtracks offer inherent benefits over their 5.1 counterparts, a trait which is instantly audible once you listen to the difference.

However, I'd rather have a 'Quality' 5.1 system than a 'Good' 7.1 system, and whilst the Feature of EX and ES setups has instant appeal, sound 'Quality' always takes precedence in my priorities list :).

5. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Depends on the source.
    THX Surround EX on the likes of Attack of the clones is simply superb. You get quality independent surround from left to right surround and rear surround. On the other hand I've heard some less exciting ES/EX surround sources.
    Originally most of DD 5.1 EX was basically 5.1 with a matrixed rear channel. Now it is becoming apparent that more and more Dolby Digital EX titles have an extra flag, and are supporting 6.1/7.1 with an extra channel of discrete audio.
    DTS have been icluding a 6.1 flag on their discs for a while now so it's nice that Dolby seem to have caught this up.

6. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dolby Digital surround EX still is 5.1 with a matrixed surround back channel. Only dts es discrete has a discrete extended channel.
    The matrixed information contained in the extended channel is still there in the 5.1 mix. It's carried in the surround left & right channels. A dts es discrete mix does not have the surround back info in the surround left & rights...

For what it's worth, I'm with Dimmy here. I "downgraded" from a budget ex/es discrete amp to a flagship (4 years ago) Pioneer 908 THX Ultra 5.1 amp. I wouldn't go back to budget extended for the world, the difference is that obvious.
    I would however, go for a high end extended system if I could afford it...

7. nobbydog

nobbydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I find that the extra centre channel fills in the rear effects really well across a fairly wide back wall to our lounge (about 20ft, I think). I also was unsure but well pleased with the results. As you say in your initial post, ewin, you do need a reasonable distance to get full effect, I think. I'm glad I spent the extra (on the additional speaker etc).

8. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,588
    I've got six now- and I'm done. The test facility has a 7.1 (with an additional centre for 6.1 as well) doesn't sound enough of an improvement for me to rip things up and start again. If I had a bigger room I guess I might be tempted to push it.

However- given that my possible profit share upgrade could be an RSP1066 and 3x Exposure XXVIII's (giving 6 channels again)- I might not :D