1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is EX/ES Worth it?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Gadjet, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I am looking to upgrade my yam A5 to an amplifier with pro-2, also I,m considering going for EX/ES. My thoughts on this are:
    My pleasure of DD and DTS are the use of all speakers for great sound effects, especially the rear sound after upgrading from pro-logic, now with adding that extra speaker in the rear middle does it take away that "stereo" sound from the rear making it sound almost prologic as the sound now being more spread and less definate to the 2 main rears?
    I hope this makes sense to you for your appreciated views.
    Cheers

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Yes it is worth it sonically. I was cynical before but use 7.1 for everything now (with 2.0 through to 5.1 sources). Give quality being equal I would go for 7.1. If you have the room for the speakers, go for it. But don't forget to get a quality solution...

3. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just bear in mind DTS-es discrete is the only real 6.1 source.

The reason I say this is some 6.1 amps will only decode Dolby ex and dts-es matrix.Of course they'll be outputting six channels but they're picking up the extra channel info from the imbedded signal in the two surrounds.
    Still good but not as complete as the new and still rare es-discrete.
    Regards

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    7.1 amps deliver a significant benefit over 5.1 amp REGARDLESS of what the input format is, it doesn't matter that 6.1 DTS Discrete is the only genuine 6.1 format. People seem to like PL2 and that deals with 2.0 input!

7 channels deliver a better spread of sound around most rooms, this is why 7.1 is better than 5.1, it has nothing to do with formats. Now if we see more 6.1 and 7.1 discrete formats then things can only get better..........but currently there are only a handful of discs and most people can't decode these anyway!

Don't forget if you buy a 6.1 amp now will you be able to deal with tomorrows formats when most of the world is gearing up for 7.1 now?

5. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I was simply trying to help with amp choice.

I too believe 7.1 is better.My amp delivers 7.1.

When I purchased my amp I wanted to make sure it was as future proof as possible,(which is hard these days)and it seems some people are not sure of the differences between the es-ex-matrix-discrete options.
    Regards

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    You won't go wrong with a Denon 11, great amp.:)