Is everywhere sold out of TVs or is it just me?

BigTellyBelly

Trying to find a good 40" 1080P TV for a good price (£500 to £600) but every site has no stock in ?????

Which online stores do people recommend (with stock in)?

Anoraknophobia

Trying to find a good 40" 1080P TV for a good price (£500 to £600) but every site has no stock in ?????

Which online stores do people recommend (with stock in)?

Definately not Dixons. Try Amazon for a KDL40V4000 - They had stock last time I looked. Not quite as good a TV as the W series, but still a great TV and in most viewing situations you won't notice any difference in picture quality.

j e macey

Standard Member
I visited 3 stores last week and noticed a lack of stock particularly in 2008 models...plenty of previous on show. As it turns out one of the stores was Empire Direct and now we know why!

chrismr

Yeah, in the last couple of weeks since I started looking for something, not only have stock levels been diminishing, but I am sure many prices have gone up too - the th42pz80 on John Lewis has gone up £200, for example, bbut many others too.

The rise in prices is making me anxious to purchase ASAP, but thanks to City Link, the TV I ordered last week was sent back, my money is now tied up until I get refund, and I am determined to use somewhere that doesn't use city link - which really limits my options!

Beany31

Distinguished Member
Yeah, in the last couple of weeks since I started looking for something, not only have stock levels been diminishing, but I am sure many prices have gone up too - the th42pz80 on John Lewis has gone up £200, for example, bbut many others too.

The rise in prices is making me anxious to purchase ASAP, but thanks to City Link, the TV I ordered last week was sent back, my money is now tied up until I get refund, and I am determined to use somewhere that doesn't use city link - which really limits my options!
What did City Link do?

chrismr

As an ex employee of city link I can fully understand you not wanting to use them as a courier. :thumbsdow Have you tried richer sounds?

I phoned up BeyondTelevision to find out if they had received the set and issued the refund.

They had received the set back, but not yet issued the refund. I asked them if instead of refunding me, if they could get TNT to deliver - they are contracted to TNT only for 46" and larger. She said she would chat to them and get back to me.

Turns out TNT have agreed, so it is set to be re-delivered to me this Saturday, so hopefully will no longer need to worry about where to buy a tele from :clap:

It does not surprise me that an ex-employee of theirs states they are useless :D

roakes

I'm in the same boat but stuck with using Dixons so I can use their Buy Now Pay 2010 offer, so I'm checking stock every day now, bit frustrating really. Only one in stock that I would conisder is the Sony 40" Z4500 but I can't justify the extra cost just for the sake of 200hz

jpb82

I hate City Link to, a few years ago we bought a toshiba CRT and when City Link
delivered it the box was torn, ripped and the tv itself actually had cracks and dents all over it.

I would like to throw my two cence in about this debate about TVs being out of stock
and i would have to agree everyone does seem to be sold out or selling out incredible quickly, my biggest fear
is when suppliers get there new stock there going to put the prices up which would be a nightmare, amazon
for example have already raised the price of the 40V4000 and 40W4000 which are the two TVs im interested in.

_Ollie_

I actually ordered the Sony KDL 40V4000 for £513 from Dixons on New years day. Last week I received an email notifying me that they have no stock in and they can't give me a date when they will. This wouldn't be such a problem if they'd have notified me sooner as now the price of the set has risen by about £150! I might as well get a KDL 40W4000 now, but that's another £200 for a similar tv.

I can understand why stock goes fast for well priced products but why the big price increase on tvs all of a sudden?

Last edited:

Curly99

Distinguished Member
I can understand why stock goes fast for well priced products but why the big price increase on tvs all of a sudden?
supply and demand.. the credit crunch but ultimately the value of Sterling v's the Yen, dollar, Scheckal, Euro....etc.......or groat ;)

Curly

jpb82

I actually ordered the Sony KDL 40V4000 for £513 from Dixons on New years day. Last week I received an email notifying me that they have no stock in and they can't give me a date when they will. This wouldn't be such a problem if they'd have notified me sooner as now the price of the set has risen by about £150! I might as well get a KDL 40W4000 now, but that's another £200 for a similar tv.

This seems to be happening everywhere, i just got back from my local
sony dealership to compare the 40V4000 and 40W4000 and everything
has sold out whats worse they have no idea when they will get new stock.

I also agree with you about the price increases, ive noticed the last couple of
days retailers are starting to increase there prices.:eek:

reddwarf2002

I have a feeling the short supply is due to the credit crunch, and because of this retailers are taking advantage to increase the prices as stocks are low anyway.:(

I have pre-ordered LE40A656 through Dixons but not holding my breath though!

stewart28

I'm in the same boat but stuck with using Dixons so I can use their Buy Now Pay 2010 offer

Same here, every lcd i have seen has been out of stock so have decided to wait a while and work the overtime to pay for it cash and hopefully they will have stock when i have the money to part with.

suzyb

Standard Member
I got caught out with the lack of stock on a DVD recorder (SONY RDR-HXD890). I ordered it from one place but canceled it when I found out they didn't have stock and ordered it from another. Then a few days later they canceled the order cause they didn't have stock and didn't know when they'd get any.

So instead I have now ordered a Sony 32" TV from Play. It isn't in stock either but I don't mind waiting since it means I have longer to save the money for it.

roakes

I'm HOPING I got the last Samsung LE40A586 from Superfi.co.uk, I emailed them to check stock, they had one left, I ordered 2 hours later once I had sorted the money into my account, when I ordered it said In Stock still and now it says to Enquire for Stock. Only thing I'm worried about is I emailed to double check if I got it or not and now I'm getting no reply. Fingers crossed!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom