1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Euro voltage killing our AE100's?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Der_Pobman, May 5, 2002.

1. Der_Pobman

Der_Pobman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have taken a quick look at the US forums and it seems they dont have the number of problems we europeans are having with the AE100's. Of course both the US and Japan are 110v, while we in europe are 230/240ish (Russia 250) and of course differant frequency too. So could this be the source of our problems, ie the transformer just cant handle it?

Just a thought... ... ...

Regards

Der Pobman

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Extremely unlikely, & I mean Extremely!!!!!!!!!!!

3. dj

dj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
  4. Der_Pobman

Der_Pobman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, was just a thought. I used to have a problem with Dell laptop power packs, they just kept dieing in Russia and I was using a surge protector. Was getting through one every few months, I think Dell were wondering what I was doing with them! They would not explode or anything like that, they just got really hot and then stopped working.

Happened 4, or perhaps 5, times. Dell attributed it to Russian electricity peaking more than 15V higher than UK. However to be honest I dont really understand such things so the tech support guys could easily have been spinning me a yarn.

Regards

Der Pobman

5. bradsjm

bradsjm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to my UPS, my power peaks at 256V (at 253V the UPS starts clamping it) and averages 248V.

I think that 253V is within the limit of the spec. and they always happen at night. Daytime seems fine.

6. Der_Pobman

Der_Pobman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brad, your power should peak higher than that! If my memory of GCSE Physics is right then 240v was RMS, so peak would be 240/.707 = 339.5... unless you are talking about the RMS peak, which on reading your message again is probably exatly what you are doing... so you can forget everything I have just said :)

Regards

Der Pobman

7. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286

er, don't you think that Panasonic would redesign/reconfigure the PSU for 230V operation before releasing the model in Europe?

Gav

8. Der_Pobman

Der_Pobman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gavan... its a universal power supply.... thus it should work in the UK,US,Japan (though Russia is most likely outside its written spec). My question was simply based upon wondering if it is not working properly.

Remember the old Pace Sky box (analogue) that was supposed to have a working PSU too . . . and we all know how good that was.

Regards

Der Pobman