Is EMI switching sides in the hi-def format war?

the_pauley

Ex Member
Reaction score
Just got the new George Harrison 8 disc box set "Dark Horse Years". The "Live in Japan" 2 disc set included in the box comes in SACD/CD Compatible format.

This is the second EMI release, following "Dark Side of the Moon" to appear on the SACD format. Have also heard that the company's hi-def overhaul of The Beatles back catalogue is to appear in SACD.

So what's going on? Is EMI abandoning DVD-A for SACD or what?

A friend of mine who is in the EMI royalties division has noticed the very same thing and most of the upcoming super format releases are in SACD. On asking why this was he was told that it was a decision based on which format would secure a larger market share depending on the artist/genre of the release (how they work this out is unclear). It would seem that older re-releases will more often than not be SACD. This could be as simple as thinking that many older audiophiles are still without DVD, meaning hybrid SACD is the only operable format for them.

I agree....I think the 'hybrid-factor' is pushing EMI more towards SACD than DVD-A

Given the slow uptake of the new hi-def formats, hybrid would appear to make more commercial sense.

If hi-def doesn't take off then the discs are still CD compatible. Meanwhile the CDs will continue to sell to non_SACD users who want the much improved sound of the newly re-mastered CD layer. I fall into this category as I have a wait and see attitude before investing in new kit. Meantime I have the superbly remastered conventional CD layer and have a fairly substantial SACD collection should I choose to go hi-def.

Many consumers are indeed oblivious to the fact that they are buying SACD. Many of my friends who have bought the new Stones and/or Dylan releases are surprised to find that they are SACD. They're just delighted how good the CD sound is compared to the earlier CD issues.

So I think EMI is on the right track with this one. This way they get two bites of the cherry. The last thing most members of the public want to hear is that they have to buy new kit in order to play their album - as is the case with DVD-A.

Originally posted by the_pauley
So I think EMI is on the right track with this one. This way they get two bites of the cherry. The last thing most members of the public want to hear is that they have to buy new kit in order to play their album - as is the case with DVD-A.

True as far as it goes. It must be said however that DVD-A will play on any DVD player (about the last growth area in home electronics) and will play in MC if the user has five speakers. Having a proper DVD-A player merely boosts the SQ and bandwidth. It works closer to its intended style using less exotic technology than SACD does.

Of course, the fact that DVD-A's lurk unannounced in the DVD-V sections and SACD likewise in the CD sections isn't really doing either format any favours.

Yep I have a SACD/DVD player with 5.1 surround, but no DVD-Audio. It doesnt bother me. Provided you have a good sound setup, there is no need to 'change your kit'. In Absentia or Metallica's Black Album are just as good in DTS or Dolby. A massive improvement to 2CH stereo!

Yes but try playing a DVD-A in your car, or Walkman, or bedroom system.

The advantage of SACD is that it plays in anything. You think Joe and Josephine public wants to re-equip themselves with portable DVD players, in car DVD players and a couple of extra decks in the house, just to listen to music?

...that is provided it is a 'Hybrid' SACD. Some are JUST SACD's, which defies belief for me - what a waste of a promising format that is!!

not really much of a war with the crap they release on the 2 formats

Yep I agree there is very little to get excited about on either format

Mainly very early releases on the format were SACD only.

The manufacturers soon saw the narrow-sigthedness of that and many of these early titles have been re-released as hybrid discs.

I was suprised to find my Phillips 962SA DVD player appearing in hi fi world as a recommended and the later 963 appears in Hi Fi + as a best product for SACD replay.............apparently it should be judged as an audiophile quality SACD player :eek: I have never used it as a cd player as it does stirling service atached to my HC system and the Hi Fi resides in another room.............but.........its got me thinking :rolleyes:

I think, in general, SACD is more widely accepted around the world than DVD-A. If you go to sa-cd.net (click on the link), you will notice that EMI has released 25 titles around the world. That's not a whole lot when a much smaller label like Telarc can release the same numbers in one year.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom