Is Dyson a very good company?

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to say i am impressed .When they first came out I wasn't because every time I went to the dump there always seemed to be 6 or 7 dead vacuum cleaners there but they really have improved massively ,especially with their after sales service.I bought my "animal" upright about 12 years ago , it never gave me any problems until it died last week so i phoned Dyson and they sent an engineer within a week who did a complete overhaul, replacing the motor and several other parts for the fixed price of 70 quid including a years guarantee .Nice bloke as well, very helpful .Vacuum works like a dream now.Got me thinking that is how appliance support and servicing should be like.This in a week when my microwave has given up the ghost after 3 years use and is only fit for the dump.Horribly wasteful IMO

Glad Dyson has sorted his quality control and after service out. My experience was always bad tbh.
Changed to Miele and never looked back.

I've always repaired our Dyson myself, buying the parts at a sensible price from Dyson. Never had any problem with them.
Dave

Glad Dyson has sorted his quality control and after service out. My experience was always bad tbh.
they are very much better than they once were and in today's throw away society stand out like a beacon Miele also a very good reputation but as far as i am aware their washers theirs servicing is prohibitively expensive

Can I mention the Dyson ball cleaner joke?

We had two, both died , I never gave them a third chance.

Dyson after sales have always been good with me. No problems. I take ours apart to clean and maintain. It's surprisingly easy, even for a man who ended up in A&E after an argument with a USB hub.

My wife gave our Miele away because it was old and bought a Dyson. The Dyson is bigger, noisier, bulkier and not as well made as the Miele and is the colour of a bruise. Not a fan.

they are very much better than they once were and in today's throw away society stand out like a beacon Miele also a very good reputation but as far as i am aware their washers theirs servicing is prohibitively expensive

You do pay about 1000 euros for one of their machines, so just a bit over 800 pounds. A 10 year service extension covers pretty much all things that could go wrong for another 150 euros. So about 900 pounds in total.

Initial cost is high, but they last for ages. A lot of people have got 20 years + use of them because they're so well built.

Dyson after sales have always been good with me. No problems. I take ours apart to clean and maintain. It's surprisingly easy, even for a man who ended up in A&E after an argument with a USB hub.
my main argument is that we should be able to buy several more home appliances that offer excellent lifespans and standards of after sales service.Dyson does so and for £70 I think its very good value.I dont mind paying extra for an appliance provided it meets those two criteria as well.
I am in the market for a microwave but i've had there die on me in five years two were well know brands the other was a Tesco cheapie.Unless I can be quite sure the replacement i buy meets those two criteria, there is no way I would spend over £200 on one.When microwaves first came out you cold be sure they would last 25 years or more with little or no trouble .They were a lot more expensive in real terms but you knew you had a quality item.That choice does not seem to exist anymore as todays expensive options seem to be more about gizmos and pointless facilities than a decent lifespan

I've the old DC15 animal and have just replaced it with a Sebo.

I always thought the dyson was good and I would always clean it out to keep it in tip top shape but as I have most parquet flooring I found it pretty poor on hard floors and I was getting a nice dust build up after running about with it.
Suction is good from the hose but not so good on the head.
I also have a Neato and was amazed at the rubbish this little robotic cleaner picked up after running around with the Dyson. While the Neato is very good for a small cleaner it should be no where near as good at picking up dirt as the Dyson and I'm pleased to say the Sebo has stopped my Neato finding dirt.

As a man I find this thread offensive... What is this 'Dyson' and 'Hoover' you speak of?

I've the old DC15 animal and have just replaced it with a Sebo.

I always thought the dyson was good and I would always clean it out to keep it in tip top shape but as I have most parquet flooring I found it pretty poor on hard floors and I was getting a nice dust build up after running about with it.
Suction is good from the hose but not so good on the head.
I also have a Neato and was amazed at the rubbish this little robotic cleaner picked up after running around with the Dyson. While the Neato is very good for a small cleaner it should be no where near as good at picking up dirt as the Dyson and I'm pleased to say the Sebo has stopped my Neato finding dirt.

actually i was having that problem as well but since the service its working much better.I was also given an accessory leaflet with a list of heads, some of which are better suited to hard floors

Just a few weeks ago I did the same.
I got bloody fed up with constantly having to dismantle and reassemble the head on the Dyson.
Also fed up with them failing totally after a couple of years or so.
Did loads some research and opted for a Miele.

Early days but problem free so far and far superior pick up power.

actually i was having that problem as well but since the service its working much better.I was also given an accessory leaflet with a list of heads, some of which are better suited to hard floors
one thing i was told that has stuck in mind. Its vital to keep the filter clean .I think in all these years i must have cleaned it twice .Hardly surprising it has not been at its best recently .He gave my wife and I quite a bollocking in fact .Still at least he did admire our garden :)

We have had ours for around a year. When it works, it works well. Twice we have had issues with the brush bar jamming. Credit for the Customer Service. Quick to send out an engineer who quickly fixes the issue. Although annoying that it has happened twice.

Had a DC03 for 15 years, never missed a beat, ever.

Last edited:
As a man I find this thread offensive... What is this 'Dyson' and 'Hoover' you speak of?
Yes I've twitted a link to my Mrs, might come in useful for her.

I hate mine. It's an older model, too unwieldy to do the stairs and the suction is pretty poor.
I hardly ever have to clean the filter because most of the finer crud sticks to the inside of the cleaner before it gets that far, when I was using it as our main vac I used to have to take it to work, strip it down and blast it out with compressed air every 6 months.

I won't be buying another one however much they might have improved since.

Don't get my father started on Dyson, he could rant about it all day. Something to do with science, I imagine.

my main argument is that we should be able to buy several more home appliances that offer excellent lifespans and standards of after sales service.Dyson does so and for £70 I think its very good value.I dont mind paying extra for an appliance provided it meets those two criteria as well.
I am in the market for a microwave but i've had there die on me in five years two were well know brands the other was a Tesco cheapie.Unless I can be quite sure the replacement i buy meets those two criteria, there is no way I would spend over £200 on one.When microwaves first came out you cold be sure they would last 25 years or more with little or no trouble .They were a lot more expensive in real terms but you knew you had a quality item.That choice does not seem to exist anymore as todays expensive options seem to be more about gizmos and pointless facilities than a decent lifespan
Well, we have the aforementioned Dyson but all our appliances are Miele, with the exception of a Bosch washing machine. I agree with Pringtef's point about the overall cost of ownership, many people don't think about it that way. I bought all sorts of fancy, nice-looking but superficial stuff with displays and LEDs in my first house. I was bored of the gadgets in 5 minutes, and they cost me more overall. From then on I have bought stuff for the long term.

Our microwave also does all sorts of pointless stuff, but I'd rather just tolerate some pointless stuff and have an easy life. But I now sleep sound in the knowledge that if I ever want to grill bacon to a lesser standard than my grill, I can do it in the microwave.

Dyson would be an even better company if it still made the vast majority of products in the UK.

Well, we have the aforementioned Dyson but all our appliances are Miele, with the exception of a Bosch washing machine. I agree with Pringtef's point about the overall cost of ownership, many people don't think about it that way. I bought all sorts of fancy, nice-looking but superficial stuff with displays and LEDs in my first house. I was bored of the gadgets in 5 minutes, and they cost me more overall. From then on I have bought stuff for the long term.

Our microwave also does all sorts of pointless stuff, but I'd rather just tolerate some pointless stuff and have an easy life. But I now sleep sound in the knowledge that if I ever want to grill bacon to a lesser standard than my grill, I can do it in the microwave.
putting D
Putting Dyson to one side, the problem i have is that, with the exception of Miele , i dont feel at all confident that paying a higher price for an appliance is necessarily going to give me a product with a longer life.Would paying £250 give me a microwave that would last me more than four times longer than one that cost £60? Somehow i think not.It think its too much about bells and whistles and people wanting the latest gadget ,regardless of price. Nowhere have i read in any product review -" this product is very well made and is likely to give many years of trouble free service"or words to that effect

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom