1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Dubbing on DVD Ram in Video Mode pissible with Panny E85H?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by NickHK168, May 2, 2005.

1. NickHK168

NickHK168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have gone through the whole manual and the on-screen menus and I don't seem to be able to find any answer for the above question.
    So, besides VR Mode can I record also Video Mode on DVD-Ram?
    TIA!!!

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    No. You would need to use DVD-RW discs for that.

3. NickHK168

NickHK168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak, Tks alot.
    Unfortunately, DVD-RW are not compatible with the Panny E85H.
    Jumping to another subject, which is somehow related to why I want to record in Video mode on a Re-Writable disk, could you tell me what is the exact video resolution of footage recorded in XP mode on the E85?
    I thought it was 720x576. But, it seems to be only 704x576, which is still a DVD compliant resolution. But, when I try and author the footage in Adobe Encore 1.5, after tansferring the DVD-Ram content onto my PC HDD using TDA, Encore keeps wanting to transcode the MPEG file.
    That would be OK, only if I did not have the audio completely distorted after transcoding.
    So, I thought, perhaps if I feed Encore with a file at a res of 720x576, perhaps it stopped wanting to transcode it!?!?
    Do you have any idea?
    Thanks again,
    Nick

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    Missed your reference to the E85 - sorry about that - for compatibility then you will need to dub to DVD-R. Do note that even if you could dub in video mode to DVD-RAM it wouldn't make it compatible as it is physically different from other DVDRs.

The Panasonic records in 704 x 576. Do note, however, that the 720x576 and 704x576 resolutions effectively have the same picture size: namely 702 wide by 576 high. Your problem is not with the native resolution of the recording but with Adobe Encore. I'm afraid I haven't used the product so can't provide specific advice though.

5. Thrower

Thrower

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's any help, I picked up an 85 this weekend and it had An extra piece of paper in the box saying it could use DVD-RW so long as they were finalised.

6. NickHK168

NickHK168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem Rascaz!
    I thought it was a problem of compatibility with Encore. In fact, I have no problems using the DVD-Ram content in TMPGEnc DVD Author.
    It is the audio's bit rate that seems to have compatibility issues with Adobe products!?!? Go figure..........
    Anyway, I did manage to get the MPEG, that I trasnferred thru TDA, to convert to AVI first in Canopus Procoder Express rez'ing up the resolution to 720x576 and the audio bit rate from 256 to 224kbps and then converting back to MPEG (I tried to edit directly from MPEG to MPEG but Procoder kept jamming!?!?), and it kinda worked. I mean, at least Encore does not insist on wanting to transcode the file anymore.
    The video is a bit jerky (as if there were dropped frames) here and there after authoring in Encore. But, at least the sound is no longer distorted.
    I must try and fix the jerkyness issue now. More work for next weekend!!!
    I wonder if there is any software that allows MPEG editing of resolution and audio bit rate without having to save to AVI first and without anuy quality loss!?!?
    Thank you anyway.
    Nick

Thrower,
    Thank you! I have the same piece of paper. But, it refers to the capability of playing a DVD-RW, not dubbing onto it, unfortunately!?!?
    Cheers,
    Nick