Is Dolby Digital lower volume?

B

beolab

I bought the best cables available however when I watch a SKY Movies 1/2/3 Dolby Digital film I find I have to turn up the volume. Is this normal with the digital audio?

Mep

i normally find those channels a bit quieter, they used to be worse with my old amp so I wonder if it may something to do with the DD procesing there.....

Nick_UK

Banned
The DD processing is done by a different decoder, so it all depends on how it has been set up in the factory.

derbyjj

Novice Member
Mones the same . Ony my toshie tv which has a built in DD decoder we typicaly have the volume set to "28" but for DD broadcasts we have to increase it to "40". its the same whether I connect via Scart digital coax or optical .

SeanT

Distinguished Member
it's because it has a much larger dynamic range than NICAM, so the quiet sounds need to be that bit quieter to avoid blowing speakers up when the action starts!!

B

beolab

So how would that help when everybody just increases the volume.

SeanT

Distinguished Member
you probably won't be able to increase the volume enough to damage anything on most equipment (and equipment where you could will have a "0 dB" point and then + dB parts where it is inadvisable to go unless you have needy speakers), whereas if the reference signal were louder you would, if that makes any sense

Nick_UK

Banned
SeanT said:
it's because it has a much larger dynamic range than NICAM, so the quiet sounds need to be that bit quieter to avoid blowing speakers up when the action starts!!
:offtopic: What's that got to do with the sound difference between PCM Dolby Surround and Dolby Digital ? :offtopic:

In any case, you are wrong. As I said previously, it's all down to how the decoders have been set up in the factory. In my Yamaha RXV-1500, DS and DD are the same volume, and the amp automatically adjusts itself on DD to give the optimum level for the dialogue (centre) channel.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom