1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is DLP PQ still better than Plasma?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Gregory, May 18, 2005.

1. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi all,

Before I start, I know that this topic has been discussed several times - but Plasma esp. moves fast, so I think it is worth revisiting.

In looking to buy a new DLP set 'd like to demo (a samsung & Optoma) against a well set up latest generation plasma for comparison. We did this last time (a year ago) & we rated the DLP far better than the plasma's (and that's before allowing for screen burn etc.). However, there seem to be new generation plasmas screens ever so regularly, so this may no longer be true. I did notice an ad for a Panasonic (I think) that talked of it having ~ 7 billion colours. Does this mean it has and uses more than 256/colours (as I understand that the current DLP's do?). Does this in turn mean that it wouldn't suffer from banding? Or, are most sources limited to 256 anyway (I know that VGA connections are, but believe that HDMI is 12 bit).

Cheers

Greg

2. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    That 7 billion colours claim has always fazed me. The human eye can't distinguish anything close to 7 billion colours IIRC.
    Nice headline/banner/ buts its pure sales and irrelevant to what you will see.
    Hyperbole from an AV vendor - who would of thunk it ?
    Or is my memory failing me ? (they say its the fourth thing to go...)

(maybe those weird shrimps with the really complex eyes can get more out of the set than we can, you would sure have to love your shrimps to get them a plasma <g>)

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The many colours bit is more an oversampling thing. The image inside the processor is separated into all these billions of colours, therefore there is a more accurate pallete of colours to choose from when the processor assembles the colour image on screen. The final display will only use x amount of colours, but where before there were say only 10 different shades of red achievable, there are now 100 to choose from.

As usual the proof is in the pudding, if the picture satisfies you and the technology suits your needs then you're onto a winner. I wouldn't get too bogged down in the theory and the specs, it's all bent slightly to put the product in a better light and will usually just leave you more confused than when you started!! Get a few demos, consider the advantages of a flat screen on the wall and a wider viewing angle compared to a bigger image with RPTV for similar money and make your choice.

Happy demoing!!

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

LOL..... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I prefer DLP to plasma technology :D

5. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    And the banding and other limited pallete picture artifacts? Do these still hold true for a well set up latest generation plasma? (or, indeed DLP) - people still talk about them for DLP on this forum, and whilst I loved the PQ on the Sagem, it did have some banding issues for some video (fine garadations oF skin tones usually)

As for the shrimps - well, they will have to buy their own set. I'd hate to demo for a shrimp (I think they can see polorization for example - and I've NO idea what technology is good for that!)

Cheers

Greg

6. Ambient Fish

Ambient Fish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    In my humble opinion, the question is not plasma or DLP it's all about price, sure you can get a Plasma display that will make your eyes glad but you will have to part with many hard earned sheckels to get the equivalent picture quality of say the Sagem HD 45 or any other quality DLP RPTV. After much tooing and froing I eventually settled for the Sagem, the more time I spend with it the more I appreciate it's quality.

7. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

I was thinking of going for one of these latest gen plasmas before going for dlp, a few of my mates have plasmas which are latest gen, we all agree that dlp has better pq, they only got plasmas to wall mount them. like fish said you get more for your dosh with dlp. Looks like you'll be busy demoing,enjoy. :D

8. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Have, in fact, now settled on a new DLP - PQ seems at least as good if not actually better, and with that as a given, one might as well spend less money!

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Make sure you properly "audition" your intended purchase for at least an hour of uninterrupted viewing, along with any family etc. who are to share it with you, in conditions as close to those you will have at home, before you commit.

10. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I presume (arrogantly) that this refers to the rainbows effect that you have posted on before. I think we should be fine as we've had a Sagem for several months and been very happy with it (until it failed).

HAve also pretty much settled on the Samsung SP50 ... but havng a mare working out who is the least worst at delivery etc. ... new thread coming

Cheers

Greg

11. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    In that case you should be fine as regards the sequential colour. Sorry, I wasn't aware of your "history" here.

I have also seen several DLP RPTVs on display with less than perfect geometry. The last was the SIM2 in Harrods, which most definitely had a downwards curve towards the top edge of the picture. Not sure if that sort of thing bothers you.

12. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    No worries with repeat warnings on this one - I'd hate for people to get caught out. Geometry issues certainly would irritate me - and would get a set sent back pronto! Did look briefly at the SIM2, but it looked horrible (and that was before being switched on!) Having said I'll go for the SP50 I'm still torn about waiting for the latest tech which I think has a better colour wheel (more segements + bigger - though not sure how size helps), so even less likely to have rainbow effects ... but you can wait forever

Cheers

Greg

13. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Im glad you said that about the Sim2. I was very disapointed when I saw the set in action and this was at the Sim2 stand at the AV show 2004.