Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Is DiVX Better Than DVD?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Timbo21, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +315
    Hi all :) ,

I've seen a lot of threads of people wanting DVD players that can play DiVX.
    All I seem to have been able to find out is that it uses MPEG4, which am I right in thinking is superior to MPEG2 used by DVD, & that MPEG4 is a more efficient compression system?

Also, what is the appeal of DiVX? Is it just so people can download movies from the web? How does this quality compare to good transfer DVD's? And, (last question), do they support Dolby 5.1/DTS?

Thank You,

Tim. :)

2. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    MPEG4 is newer than MPEG2, so you can squeeze the same quality into a smaller space, so as you say its more efficient. It needs more cpu grunt to play that mpeg2 generally.

Divx / xvid appeal is , yes you can download legal and illigal video clips off the net. You can make your own of course, some video camera output in this format including some top brand. The quality will vary alot depending on many factors. Got to divx.com and down load a legal high definition clip, I'm sure you'd say the quality was top notch ! Anyone can make a good encoding and a bad one, in the same way some DVD are encoded badly by film studios and some are excellent. So the quality compares very well, depending on the source, the settings used etc....

Divx / xvid are a video codec. Depending what container you use they can contain other things as well. Sound is a given, so yes mp3, ac3, pcm etc depending what codec you want to use. AC3 = surround fyi.

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271

1) Mainly
    2) You would never see the difference (if it's done well)
    3) Yes

One other advantage is you can use a PC as a server and wireless LAN to stream DiVX/Xvid to any media player in the house, DVD is a bit to big too stream wirelessly. (I have a Liteon 2010 player and it's nice to be able to play media on any PC in the house on my TV/HiFi)

4. dogtanian38

dogtanian38
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MPEG4 is a better compression system than MPEG2, yes. However this increased efficiency is usually invested in a lower bitrate (filesize) for comparable quality. Broadly speaking the first useful MPEG4 codec was known as divx, and most other MPEG4 codecs are compatible or re-workings of this. Xvid is an open source version very popular online, as Ogg audio is to MP3.

Divx took off before DVD writing equipment was available commonly on PC's, and was used to copy films by compressing a dvd onto one or more cd's which were by then inexpensive blank media.

MPEG4 files usually are packaged as an *.avi (audio/video interleave) file in windows. The video and audio can be of any type in an *.avi, MP3 audio is very common, but AC3 (dolby digital) and DTS can also be used.

As the source of a divx file is usually MPEG2 from HD sources in the states or original DVD media here, the quality is lower as the video has been transcoded between the two formats, but the format can produce better quality than dvd for the same size or in the case of proposed new HD satellite broadcasts, a lower bandwidth is required for comparable quality.

5. DVDKiNG2005

DVDKiNG2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The appeal of divX is so people can download movies illegally and watch them on there home dvd player i guess....

6. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why the stigma? No more than an Mp3 is to an Audio CD though, surely?

7. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +315
    Thanks everyone.

Now I know :)