1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is dirty screen really all the TVs fault

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Chris Hedlund, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Chris Hedlund

Chris Hedlund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My new Sony has no symptoms of dirty screen, yet last night watching a program on Channel 4 there were several dark patches evident around the corners and edges of the screen throughout the 30 minutes as the camaras panned around the scenery.

I switched to other channels and nothing, the program finished and the set was back to perfect.

My point is, do broadcast cameras bring dirty screen into our homes, and if so how many people have blamed the TVs unfairly. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Cheers Chris

2. vomvul

vomvul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    was thinking the same thing, after seing the so called dirty screen, if you switch channels its not there, its the fault of the broadcasters, im certain of this, ever notice how it doesnt appear on older programmes 10 years or more ? we're being fobbed off with inferior transmissions i'd say, :mad:

3. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Technical quality varies alarmingly from programme to programme, but "genuine" dirty screen problems are constant and are definately a function of the CRT.

4. tuftus

tuftus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could this be a new fault then??

Dirty Lens!

;)

5. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have to say from my experiences with the Philips 9509 that its definately the TV at fault. Even when no inputs are connected, the blue screen clearly shows the variations in contrast/colour that are, IMO, responsible for 'dirty screen'. The thing about football is that you have a big block of one colour, the grass, which pans quickly and therefore highlights these variations.

Wackojacko32

6. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Perhaps you could be thinking about doming, which can be related to the brightness of the picture.
    Nigel

7. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    TBH I dont know what was wrong with the set, the engineer said nothing, but it hard a brighter line down the middle of the screen, dark patches towards the edge of the screen and an icicle shaped dark patch hanging from the top of the screen about four inches from the right hand side. These patches were visible when the screen panned and created an effect of looking through a dirty screen.

Whatever caused it, it wasn't a 'dirty lens':)

Wackojacko32