1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Digital Cable Available in your area?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Del, May 18, 2001.

1. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've recently decided to upgrade my current Telewest analogue cable to Telewest Cable digital.I'm based in sunny Slough.

Upon enquiries to telewest both via the internet and through their customer service I've been told that my area, event though cabled has not been upgraded for digital and not likely for at least 2-3years :( even though Slough is one of their franchise areas.

In 3 words, I'm ****ed. :mad: No Digital cable or Hi Speed Internet. FYI I've been with Cable since '92.

Does anyone else have this problem with their Cable supplier?

2. Tel boy

Tel boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Del, I wouldn't be in a hurry to upgrade to digital going on the reports I've heard,everyone I know that has went to dig wishes they had their old analogue system back. Mind U Im not from your neck of the woods Im from the North East so can only report from up here, but dig has lots of probs it keeps freezing blacking out mono sound only crap pictures loads of interference etc. Even the cable guys are sick of it My M8 is on his 3rd decoder and the guy that brought the decoder was saying they are snowed under with probs/complaints. So be warned it's not sorted yet by a long way! Cheers M8 Tel. :(

3. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    if only i could have analouge cable back,i have telewest digital,what a load of rubbish,i,ve had 3 digiboxs ,i still have problems,the sound is crap,mono sound,no prologic.i live in bedfont.analogue is much better,at least you can get nicam with glorious plogic.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like this is down to your area.

I've got NTL digital and was one of the first installs when it came available in Manchester - at that time it was Cable & Wireless. I got it to replace Sky Analogue.

At first there were problems with it and I too had to have the original box replaced and I suffered from having to regularly unplug the frozen box. But I've got to say that now it is excellent. I rarely have any problems with it (touch wood), the picture is perfect, no digital blocking and glorious stereo sound. The only problems I ever have with it are trying to sign up for pay per view movies which we tend only to do very occasionally anyway - it always seems to decide to update the schedule just as you're trying to sign up for the movie that starts in 2 minutes time so consequently you miss it!

My advice would be to wait until it's been in your area for a while and the bugs have been ironed out and then go for it.

One little point on this, my mate has Sky Digital and recently got Ondig too, he reckons that Ondig is a better picture than Sky!

Cheers

5. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Even if the cable companies are having problems with the implementation (eg picture problems, sound dropouts etc) I find it annoying that I have to wait 2-3yrs for digital.

Come on Telewest get your fingers out!!!

6. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I also wanted to say that I'm not allowed to have a Sky Satellite Dish. So that's not an option :(