is denim allright for a wedding?

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
I never wear suits if I can help ,but as i am going to my godson's wedding next week ,I thought I better buy something reasonably smart .Anyway I toddled off to M&S bought a pair of fine blue corderoy trousers then I saw this rather natty blue denim jacket and thought thats kind of unusual so I bought that too .To complete the ensemble I bought a blue denim shirt and a lurid tie to which my wife reacted like she was feeling ill."OH well you cant please everyone" I thought. I shall also be sporting a pair of gaucho boots and maybe a kerchief in my top pocket

Digger

I never wear suits if I can help ,but as i am going to my godson's wedding next week ,I thought I better buy something reasonably smart .Anyway I toddled off to M&S bought a pair of fine blue corderoy trousers then I saw this rather natty blue denim jacket and thought thats kind of unusual so I bought that too .To complete the ensemble I bought a blue denim shirt and a lurid tie to which my wife reacted like she was feeling ill."OH well you cant please everyone" I thought. I shall also be sporting a pair of gaucho boots and maybe a kerchief in my top pocket

Hmmm. . .if i were your wife I too would be considering what to wear at my next wedding :).

kingbal

lol i'd love to see a picture of this outfit:rotfl:

Toasty

Distinguished Member
You could probably get away with it for the reception, but not really for the ceremony..

Sonic67

Banned
is it a cowboy wedding or something? I want a picture too. (I keep thinking of Brokeback Mountain.)

IronGiant

:)

My cousin turned up to my sisters wedding ceremony in jeans and a leather motorcycle jacket. He was nearly turned away at the door because it was assumed he was a gatecrasher.

Dave

GasDad

Remembered (1964-2012)

Your Godson probably won't care - but his future bride might.

If any one is going to bothered about it will be her (or her mother) - She will be the one who will worry about wedding photos and what everyone looks like. So I'd ask the bride to be - unless you know them really well, in which case you'll know what to do.

BAN5HEE

If I was your Godson I would pull back that invite. Do you really want be know as the guy who came with the denim? Seriously though. I don't care if you never wear a suit. This is his wedding day. Make an effort and wear something nice. Hiring a suit costs nothing now adays.

Sonic67

Banned
At a wedding lots of pictures are taken and then shown to many others at work etc. You'd stand out a mile. I assume you don't mind multiple people looking at these photos for what will be many years to come and going, "who's that?"

Aside from that I always think that weddings are the brides day and not yours. What would she say?

shahedz

Distinguished Member
If I was your Godson I would pull back that invite. Do you really want be know as the guy who came with the denim? Seriously though. I don't care if you never wear a suit. This is his wedding day. Make an effort and wear something nice. Hiring a suit costs nothing now adays.

agreed- my sister had her wedding in May and has another reception in Nov ( one in may was in cyprus) - i would be damn annoyed knowing how much she has spent and the effort she has put in to if anyone turned up in denim- i wouldn't want them there.

kingbal

Just imagine the facebook comments

"Whos the roady in the denim jacket?"

"I don't know, i think he came for the free beer"

"He looks like an utter tool, its not a bikers convention!"

Toasty

Distinguished Member
At a wedding lots of pictures are taken and then shown to many others at work etc. You'd stand out a mile. I assume you don't mind multiple people looking at these photos for what will be many years to come and going, "who's that?"

Back in the days when I had lots of hair, I attended a good friend of mines wedding suited, booted and brushed, tied back hair. Thought I looked the biz until I was shown pictures of me with a bright orange hair tie :oops: so any picture with a slight profile I looked a right :censored: :D

bouncer

Of course its okay, Its just as good as going naked to someones funeral.

Whats a hair tie? Sounds very obvious come to think about it.

Last edited:

Ian J

Banned
There's always one relative that ends up embarrassing the happy couple so why not go for it :D

Sad099

well at least you'll be alright if they have line dancing there:D

You can get on the floor and strut your stuff in the appropriate gear:rotfl:

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
If it were my wedding I wouldn't have an issue with it but you wouldn't be in any of the photo's...at the evening do I would make sure you were central to the party video!

Adam Shaw

There's a lot of factors to consider:

Church wedding, registry office, or civil ceremony elsewhere?

Do you expect the other guests to arrive suited and booted, or do you think that it will be a more casual affair all around?

How relaxed or uptight do you expect the wedding couple to be?

At the end of the day, its their wedding, try probing them for some guidance, as you are their to celebrate their bog day, if they are going to have reservations about anyone's appearance, its best not to upset them by either conforming to their expectations of dress, or not going at all, its their party!

Sad099

You could even be the entertainment as well as a guest - just practice the song "Rhinestone Cowboy" and do your thang

Ps definately want to see pics of this :D

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
well look on the bright side, if you get kicked out of the wedding you will always fit in at the blue oyster club afterwards :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
LG Display set to launch its own 27 and 32-inch OLED panels in 2023?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom