Is dead Panasonic NV-HD640B repairable?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Colin78, Dec 30, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Colin78

Colin78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

My Panasonic NV-HD640B VCR has just died, apart from the drum, which now spins at high speed. There is no front panel display and no response to controls. I would guess at a problem in the PSU area. Does anyone have knowledge of this type of fault, and can they point me in the right direction for either a (U.K. model) circuit diagram, or components to check, please?

Years ago I was an occasional (read non-expert) electronics constructor, so if I can get my hands on a circuit diagram I could at least have a go at checking PSU voltages (even if it now means using an eyeglass to read components :laugh:). That seems a better value route to me than trying to tempt an engineer with the smell of 50 quid to lift the cover. I would hate to chuck something out for the sake of a 50p component if it could be replaced, especially as it is not heavily used, and the choice of new VCRs is now limited.

An internet search for problems with my model has so far found only the ...HD650. Unfortunately, references for possible faulty components didn't seem to tie up with mine.

Coincidentally, I've recently taken to switching 'standby' gear off at the mains when not in use - trying to do my bit to reduce energy consumption / global warming and all that. It would seem that some things tolerate this better than others, so you don't always save money overall :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance.
    Colin

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,547
  3. Colin78

Colin78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I couldn't find a BU12101-02 chip (I think it's mis-quoted in hamradio... "s/c across sys ctl 5v line - IC3904 BU1201-02 on ip/op pack s/c", according to the schematic for the HD650 I found on the net), nor any indication of ip/op pack printed on the board, so I'm guessing the HD650 may have less in common with my 640B than hoped. Darn.