Is damaged better than none at all?

gwyper

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what the thoughts were. Obviously this is a very subjective area but would you pick a rare steelbook up if it had a fair bit of damage?

Where do you draw the line?

For instance how much would a 2mm scrape take off a mint Thor value wise?

I wouldn't buy one if it had 'a fair bit of damage'. As for a 2mm scrape - depends if it takes the paintwork off or how obvious it is. Probably looking around £35 for it.

My Terminator (Play Exclusive) Steelbook has two unnoticeable little lines each corner of the embossed border. I payed 30 for that just before it came out, as i was caught sleeping. Got it, saw those, and thought that it didn't really effect it, (there was no paint missing). So i just stuck it on my shelf. I certainly wouldn't pay for a damaged used steelbook. It would have to be in near mint condition, if not new.

I think the majority of people on this forum won't accept damage, however minimal. Look at the amount of posts about steelbooks being sent back due to minor damage. I'm pretty sure some were sent back just because of the manufacturing mark on the skyfall steelbook... a very thin light blue line on the spine. I have it and I have kept it.

People aren't right or wrong, it's up to them if they wish to return it. I may be more tolerant than others on this subject but again it depends on how much damage and where it is. I've been pretty lucky with steelbooks. I've got a ever so tiny paint scratch on TED on the back and a very small white chip on the spine of the green hornet. I'll be honest, if I wasn't so into checking them over I would probably not have noticed it. That being said, I wouldn't return them either because if they re-send another and it's worse I would be disappointed in myself for being so picky in the first place. You get your money back blah blah but I think I would rather have the ever so slightly damaged steelie.

Yes companies and manufacturers shouldn't let them get to us damaged but at the same time if it's tolerable then I wouldn't ever bother returning it. At the end of the day it's only me who sees it, only me who collects it and wants to keep it and I have no intentions of selling them anyway so hey ho.

A very visible and very damaged piece of the steelie however, that's a different story! i.e a scratch across somebody's face or a paint chip on the cover text etc. It all depends on what you see and makes you angry at the time.

I accepted a D9 described as having some light dents off of here - it arrived looking like a sherman tank had driven over it and then gone back and driven over it some more. Why I accepted it I still don't know.

Similarly I've got a couple of steels with spine slashes, one of which is Iron Man 2 - I can live with it but it does niggle away a bit.

As youll probably have guess from my posts id rather have none at all than one with any damage at all. True i have an overly OCD mind on things like this but its a premium product and i expect it to be spotless. The reason im selling quite a few now is so i can relax a bit, i have mint Iron Man and Iron Man 2 steels that im selling so i wont have to join in the rush with Iron Man 3 as if i got a dud and it sold out i would cry myself to sleep :D

Its horrible not being able to get out of that mind frame so im taking action!

The fact i cant sell them for a decent price because theyre unsealed however shows the mentality of a lot of collectors....

Minor dents I dont mind as I can smooth them out, minor small scratches I dont mind but anything thats noticable at first glance I usually return and exchange.

If I saw a rare steelbook for cheap(ish) and it had scratches... if it was a movie I loved and there was no chance of getting mint for a similar price then I may buy it

it depends on the damage.

if you get iron man and it has paint chips, a simple marker pen can fix things.

even slight dings may not concern many, but when items have deep spine slashes or are bent or have large dings, its a no-no.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I am new to the game, so don't want to be picking up second hand steelbooks from high street stores thinking people may actually want them if infact they are a lost cause.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I am new to the game, so don't want to be picking up second hand steelbooks from high street stores thinking people may actually want them if infact they are a lost cause.

well Thor, Star Trek, Iron Man, Captain America etc... there will always be people willing to pay good money even for damaged ones.

Well, that and they're almost all damaged ;)

Yeah but quite a few collectors actively seek open copies. Mint of course, but they don't want mint looking sealed and then get a nasty shock upon opening.

I very rarely keep a steel sealed, usually just if its something I have twice from different countries.

Those that want steels sealed are in it got the money and not the films. Problem is I'm realising in 5 years none of them will be worth much at all.

It really depends on your intereptation of 'damage'. I'm quite OCD (but not as much as some others on here :smashin:), but the odd small stratch of blemish doesn't bother me to much when buying second hand (providing it's discreet and not noticable). The majority of my steelbooks are fresh and mint, but I have a few I would class as having 'minumal damage' or imperfections.

One example was when a guy on ebay listed a job lot of steelbooks. I enquired about selling them individually, which he respectfully declined. He was a nice chap. A month later he messaged me giving me first dibs as he changed his mind. He sold me Taken for £5 as he classed it as 'damaged'.

As such, I wasn't expecting much, but when it arrived it was near mint (with the exception of a minor hairline stratch and some dirt - which I carefully washed off). If I wanted to, I could sell this one for alot more.

One mans 'trash' is another mans treasure :D

Very true, and lately I find myself buying mint open rather than sealed. It just isn't worth the risk of damage.

Well all I'm reading above is "How much profit is in Steels".....from most posts anyway. ;)

I collect, for the love of the steelbook artwork and film! Yes I have a few stinkers I'll never watch again but like the artwork(Rampart).

I do have a couple with marks on them, yet the thought of major damage eats away at me like a leech on rotting flesh lol.

Need only check my for trade thread where I have a Star Trek up for trade as I hate the thought of a damaged steel, yet as mentioned in previous posts, someone might be more than happy with it:)

I'd say I have 3 damaged steals that bug me(out of 200+) - Watchmen, Star Trek & Inglorious B(CAN - Shotgun one)....all are stunning, but the damage grates me.:facepalm:

Horses for Course I guess.

Well, that and they're almost all damaged ;)

I wouldnt say theyre damaged its just that i want people to know exactly what theyre buying so if i was buying it i wouldnt be ****** off when it turned up. A paint chip, paint mishap or small scratch arent damaged, theyre imperfections but instead many people buy "mint" sealed copies which im sure house all types of blemishes underneath, but there you go. Im pretty sure the majority of people on classified (white) lie about the condition of the steels they sell which is probably why they sell!

Im not sure how the spine slashes on the two slipped my inspections when i bought them however!

Plus my Iron Mans are bloody mint! Its a guaranteed 100& steel for there you go

Well all I'm reading above is "How much profit is in Steels".....from most posts anyway. ;)

I collect, for the love of the steelbook artwork and film! Yes I have a few stinkers I'll never watch again but like the artwork(Rampart).

I do have a couple with marks on them, yet the thought of major damage eats away at me like a leech on rotting flesh lol.

Need only check my for trade thread where I have a Star Trek up for trade as I hate the thought of a damaged steel, yet as mentioned in previous posts, someone might be more than happy with it:)

I'd say I have 3 damaged steals that bug me(out of 200+) - Watchmen, Star Trek & Inglorious B(CAN - Shotgun one)....all are stunning, but the damage grates me.:facepalm:

Horses for Course I guess.

I completely agree, if they have damage i didnt see they have to go! Hence why Iron Man is going as mentioned before as i cant order 5 copies of Iron Man 3 on the off chance i get a mint one and if i only had one and it was damaged.....:suicide: lol

Maccadinho25 said:
As youll probably have guess from my posts id rather have none at all than one with any damage at all. True i have an overly OCD mind on things like this but its a premium product and i expect it to be spotless. The reason im selling quite a few now is so i can relax a bit, i have mint Iron Man and Iron Man 2 steels that im selling so i wont have to join in the rush with Iron Man 3 as if i got a dud and it sold out i would cry myself to sleep :D

Its horrible not being able to get out of that mind frame so im taking action!

The fact i cant sell them for a decent price because theyre unsealed however shows the mentality of a lot of collectors....

I have been thinking of ditching my collection due to a few damaged ones I have received lately. I would'nt say i am OCD about steelies.I tend to keep them if they are small paint scrapes (most common damage I have received recently), but the principle of paying for something which arrives damaged (no matter how small) sticks in my craw. How much does having an unsealed steelbook knock off the value in percentage terms approximately? If I sold one which had damage under the j card of a sealed steelbook, what recourse does the buyer have?

I have been thinking of ditching my collection due to a few damaged ones I have received lately. I would'nt say i am OCD about steelies.I tend to keep them if they are small paint scrapes (most common damage I have received recently), but the principle of paying for something which arrives damaged (no matter how small) sticks in my craw. How much does having an unsealed steelbook knock off the value in percentage terms approximately? If I sold one which had damage under the j card of a sealed steelbook, what recourse does the buyer have?

It varies and depends on who you get interested. Some Thors on ebay are going for £80-£90 sealed yet unsealed ones fluctuate anywhere between £40 - £70! Depends how lucky you are. Im struggling to sell Iron Man on the forums for £46 which is mint and opened, id imagine it would of been snapped up if sealed. With regards to recourse id just ensure any listings state you cant be held responsible for anything under the cards etc and that returns on this basis arent accepted and hope for the best! Ive purchased a sealed MI4 in the past that was mint, yet when opened had a massive dent on the bottom and i had to suck it up and sell it as damaged for about half of what i paid for it!

I collected steels a while ago, sold most of them (had some rare ones at the time) but have recently started collecting then again. I used to be fussier about damage and while the odd spine slash annoys me it usually isn't enough to make me send it back. Big dents etc on a new one would though. I've also made a point of only buying new releases that I can pay normal release prices for and not going after the expensive OOP ones.

The big thing is that none of them will be worth much in a few years,take from someone who used to collect SE LD & dvd,i have a few steelbooks but never paid over the odds for one.

:)

Hmmm. Im not sure about that. Will we get a physical blu replacement? I not sure we will...certainly not a mainstream one for a long time yet.

With the zavvi exclusives I'm ordering two at a time to try and ensure one of them is in good condition. Reading that back it does seem a ridiculous state of affairs.

The big thing is that none of them will be worth much in a few years,take from someone who used to collect SE LD & dvd,i have a few steelbooks but never paid over the odds for one.

:)

I know this issue has been raised a few times, but this is of real concern to me lately. I`m not the most up to date person on technology and stuff and I`m worried steelbooks will be worthless in a year or so once something superior is introduced.

Not strictly relevant to this forum, but I`ve started to sell of my Xbox Collector items lately as I`m concerned that once the new Xbox is released later this year they`ll be worthless. Not the best example granted, but I don`t want the same to happen to steels (well, not for a while at least).

Hmmm. Im not sure about that. Will we get a physical blu replacement? I not sure we will...certainly not a mainstream one for a long time yet.

In many ways you could say that blu rays is not quite mainstream yet,but the price of collectable has cashed,i think its just the nature of any product,when I first started buying blu rays I decided not to go for as many boxset SE or steelbooks and just go for the film :)

If the market value crashes then it crashes - who cares? I'm not in it for the money they're worth, I'm in it for what they're worth to me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom