1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is D-vhs Finished?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by charles, Mar 18, 2002.

Tags:
  1. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    According to Philips they are ceasing suppying their clone version of the JVC D-VHS video,and JVC themselves are "keeping supplies available for the moment",but have no plans to bring out a further model.
    This has the familiar tale of Video 2000 ,Betamax and Digital Compact Cassette about it.
    Anyone out there who knows more on this let me know. Having been a victim of DCC I do not wish to buy a D-VHS video if the format is going to end.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Some US studios have announced they will supply movies in the D-VHS format mainly intended for the US HDTV system, although it does look like a gimmick play on their part it just might encourage growth in the format. However that is of no use to the UK users so effectively the format is just going to be the ultimate tape based recording format.
    In a couple of years maybe less expect to see the DVD recorders using the new lasers to enhance capacity 10 fold compared to todays standards and with a format war behind them that is surely the way to go.

In the short term as long as you have plenty of sealed blank tapes you can store for future use for a D-VHS machine then it will serve you well as a recording device.

3. Dekim

Dekim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Its a pity if this is the case. I record to good quality svhs tapes and get 17.15 hrs per tape in LS3 mode. I have to say the quality is awesome. It is such a pity dvhs didnt take off. As an archive device it is brilliant. You cannot tell the difference between original picture and the copy.

One note however. Make sure you purchase an rgb to s-video converter or you will be recording abd displaying in composite mode!!

Cheers

Deks

4. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So , anyone know the best place to pick one up these days ??

- I bought one about a year ago for £690 - if they can be had for less now, I think I`d double up !!

Cheers

5. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,061
    This is typical of Phillips, dcc, cdi, v2000 need i say more

6. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Guys

I have a JVC D-VHS deck in perfect condition which I no longer use (I've gone DVD direction). Open to offers.

Phil

7. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    philipb

I have sent you a PM.

CHEERS

8. Dekim

Dekim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not sure who may have them in stock. msaybe if you do a search on www.pricerunner.co.uk or equivalent.

The reason Phillips have stopped is because they are JVC D-dvhs recorder re-badged in a Phillips case.

Take care

Deks