is correct spelling important?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pave

Ex Member
Reaction score
Just seen a post about correct spelling,do you think it is important on these forums?

As for me ,i am not the greatest in the world,and often use spell check,

So just wondering...what do you think?:)

I don't think it's especially important as such, but I do get irritated when I see poor spelling and/or grammar...don't get me wrong though, im probably one of the culprits as well lol :D

I don't think the odd typo matters, and if people are slack on grammer, like I normally type "im" instead of "I'm". Also there are people that dont have english as their first language. As long as the text is readable I don't think it matters on these forums. Something in the nature of "bin dwn 2 twn 2day, got me a wkd tv" would annoy me a bit though :)

I agree spelling not to important, but no text talk fellas.

Agree about the text talk, and I'd like to lump in posts as a big single block of text as its just far to hard to read. Capitalising sentences is helpful as well. Spelling doesn't bother me unless its technical terms as it can get confusing as to what the poster meant. I have to use a built in spell checker for Firefox or my posts would be completely unreadable rather than unreadable.

Can we PLEASE not have another huge debate on this subject, it's like Groundhog Day :rotfl:

Dam,i never read every single thread on here since year zero:D ....sorry:eek:

You're lucky mate, us mods have to :suicide: ;)

So....what do you think,is it important:rotfl:;)

I feel quite passionately about spelling.
Imagine language were a mathematical equation.
You either get the right answer or you don't.
Right or wrong.

Some folks will think I should have written "Imagine language was a mathematical equation."

Does it matter?

Well, yes, actually. I'm English and I fully expect immigrants to adopt my language.

Fully.

Mylo said:
You're lucky mate, us mods have to :suicide: ;)

:eek: :rolleyes: :oops:

Pop's off to read the posts in his forums:hiya:

pave said:
Just seen a post about correct spelling,do you think it is important on these forums?

Please read this thread here.

Its a question that comes up nearly as often as which is better Dolby Digital or DTS in the movies forum.

sean5302 said:
Right or wrong.

Some folks will think I should have written "Imagine language was a mathematical equation."

Does it matter?

Well, yes, actually. I'm English and I fully expect immigrants to adopt my language.

Fully.

Was just asking about these forums,as there are many people on here from different countries,:)

Yes, that's what I thought.

The problem is not just the immigrants, but our own natives haven't a clue about adverbs, subjunctives, pronouns.

I think it's called "dumbing down". Adopting the standards of the thickest.

Garrett said:
Please read this thread here.

Its a question that comes up nearly as often as which is better Dolby Digital or DTS in the movies forum.

Thanks for the info,:thumbsup:

pave said:
So....what do you think,is it important:rotfl:;)

There are a lot of people on here who's first language isn't English, it's then understandable that sometimes their post's may not be easily read or understood.

There are those that may have a disability of some description such as Dyslexia (still make's me smile that a word with as complicated a spelling means what it does :suicide: ), or maybe someone with a physical disability whereby they are simply unable to use a keyboard in the way they would like!

The thing that really annoys me though is text speak; its lazy and it isn't showing any consideration to those visiting from outside the UK or to some of our older member's that simply don't understand all the abbreviations.

As a moderator the only real spelling amendments I make are to thread titles, this because of the search facility, so if someone's typed in a thread title "Alba or Bish"? and then someone come's here searching for BUSH then thats what I'd like them to find...:devil:

sean5302 said:
Yes, that's what I thought.

The problem is not just the immigrants, but our own natives haven't a clue about adverbs, subjunctives, pronouns.

I think it's called "dumbing down". Adopting the standards of the thickest.

Have to admit....i must be one of the thickos ...does not matter to me as long as people can communicate,interesting to read peoples views :)

What about folks who use apostrophes needlessly?

Post's or posts?

Who's or whose?

Member's or Members?

How do people get to be Mods here, when they do not possess these skills?

Are you seriously going to attack a mod over his literary skills? That would be the height of bad taste not to mention foolish at the very least.

pave said:

Of course it is :rolleyes:

Ok....:D The end :thumbsup:

sean5302 said:
Right or wrong.

Does it matter?

Fully.

The point is you would not go on a forum for mathematical equations if you were not qualified.
This is not a forum for English, it's a AVForum which Stuarts kindly let us debate other subjects.
I think these post make to point.

Stuart Wright said:
My particular take on bad spelling/grammar/punctuation is that as with anything else in life, people form an opinion based on a number of factors. Usually it's their appearance but obviously in the case of forums, I think it's the quality of their writing immediately and then what they are saying.
This is unfortunate for English speaking people who haven't had a good education, although everyone can improve their writing abilities if they are motivated enough to. They IMO they *should* be motivated since as I've mentioned, people will judge them by it. I'm afraid to say that the mistaken use of their instead of they're (and vice versa) does wind me up a bit.
People who's first language is not English should be forgiven more, I think.
And doink, I see you've edited your post to remove the link to a particular thread showing poor English. The post you were referring to was written by someone who's first language is Greek. Knowing that makes you look a bit foolish, I think.

Beyond writing ability, people often let themselves down with their laziness and bad habits.
I often leave a smelling pistake in my posts since I have such little time in the day, it's more important to me to get the point across than to worry about the odd pissmelt worm. And provided the point comes across clearly, I don't think most people are bothered about the odd mistake.

However, I find txt speak extremely annoying. There is absolutely no excuse for using it on the AV Forums, and heavy users will be politely asked to belt up.

The big point, I feel, is that omitting punctuation, using bad grammar and peppering your posts with similar mistakes makes your message harder to read. And surely you want people to understand your message?

So I would suggest that everyone put as much effort as they can into producing as high a quality writing style as possible. Good or bad, people will judge you by it and are more likely to respond to a 'reader friendly' message.

Ethics Gradient said:
I am dyslexic. I aslo have only a limited amount of time inbetween work and the other issues that crop up to plague ourlives in which to read and respond to postings on the forum.
If I were to be filling in an application for a new job, writing a letter to some offical source or filling in a form, I could expect to be judged on my ability or lack thereof to use the correct grammar. However, in a reasonably fast paced medium such as the internet where people are attempting to communicate in the written word almost converstationally, I would not expect people to be so pedantic and judgemental.

What matters is the the idea's, meaning's and context of the poster's communication is basically understood.
I can quite accept that if people are using almost cryptic slang such as txt speach to contruct whole sentances that is it just not really acceptable.

examples:

its when you mean it is (it's) ..... or even it's when you mean the dogs bowl was in its mouth.

It is usually reasonably clear to most people. especially those with a reasonable education what the poster really means due to the context of the rest of the sentance or post.

For example, if I was to say the following:

Its not particularly nice to be so pedantic about people's posts.

-----

It's quite clear what was being said ... you would generally be considered to have mental problems if you could not fluidly read the sentance and understand what is being said.

However, if I posted something along the lines of:

How R u, gtg bzr for a pnt l8r

..... I would expect to be slapped with a large wet fish :)

Some posters seem to attempt to riddicule posters and use simple and understandable mistakes in a veign attempt to negate the actual posters point.
I can quite accept that if this happens to be on the subject of grammar itself, then it's fair game, but not it is discussing the value of a particular flat screen monitor or the current priceing of dvd's.
It often smacks more of the criticising posters inhability to hold a reasonable arguement or be able to disprove the original posters point, than to the quality of the latters opinion.

I've not spell checked this post, and there are probably a few mistakes .... I simply don't care. I would pretty much consider any critic's post to be so analy retentive as to be petied :)

I think them 2 last post make the point and find no need to cover old ground again.

Thread closed,

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom