Is Control4 the right way to go for my home cinema?

aMaZeInG

We are in the process of having our house refurbished. I am realising a dream and having a cinema screen and atmos sound system while being as wife friendly as possible! The basic setup we are looking for is…
  • Three Audio Zones allowing for different sources to be played at once in Living Room (7.2.2), Study (2 Ceiling Speakers) and Kitchen (6 Ceiling Speakers)
  • Video to be sent to the Projector and TV in Living Room, TV in Kitchen and TV in Guest Bedroom
  • All AV Equipment to go in AV Rack in the Study
All wiring has been done and with speaker wire, HDMI, CAT6 and COAX as directed on the quotes I have had.The equipment available to which can be used by Control4 if needed is...

1 x LG 950V 65" OLED TV (Living Room)
1 x Sony HW-65ES Projector (Living Room)
1 x Seymour Centre Stage XD 109" Retractable Projector Screen (Living Room)
1 x Marantz SR7010 AV Receiver (Study)
7 x KEF Ci4100QL Surround Sound Speakers (Living Room)
2 x KEF Ci200RR-THX Ceiling Speakers (Living Room)
2 x JL Audio Dominion D110 Gloss Black Sub (Living Room)
2 x KEF Ci200RR-THX Ceiling Speakers (Study)
6 x KEF Ci160QR Ceiling Speakers (Kitchen)
1 x Panasonic TX-40CX802B 40" TV (Kitchen)
1 x Sony Playstation 4 (Study)
1 x Microsoft XBOX ONE (Study)
1 x Nintendo Wii U (Study)
1 x SKY hd (Study)
1 x Panasonic DMP-BDT700 Blu-ray Player (Study)
1 x Windows 10 PC (Study)
1 x Apple iPad Air 2
1 x Apple iPad Mini 4
1 x Apple iPhone 6S
1 x Apple iPhone 6
1 x MacBook
Spotify Subscription
Netflix Subscription
Amazon Prime Subscription
Philips Hue GU10 Lighting (Study, Kitchen and Living Room)
Nest Thermostat (Hallway)
Nest Smoke Alarms
Yale Keyfree Connected Smart Front Door Lock

From the one quote received they have recommended the following items with 60 hours labour at £11,626.24 ...

1 x Habitech Aten 8-way metered & switched Eco, PDU, 10A
1 x Unify Ubiquity 24 Port 500watt Gigabit Network Switch
1 x Qube QS 32U AV Rack and Accesories
1 x Control4 C4-HC800-BL-1 Controller
1 x Control4 Leaf 6x6 PoH HDBaseT 4K Matrix
1 x Habitech DrayTek Vigor 2925ac WiFi Broadband Router
3 x Control4 ZCA-Z2IR10A-ZP Card access ZigBee-to-IR module to control TV's
1 x Control4 Control4 T3 Series 7" Tabletop Touch Screen
1 x Control4 Control 4 SR260 Remote
2 x Control4 Control4 Leaf 4K Ultra HD HDBaseT Receiver

So the questions from me are do I need anything else? Is the price fair? Will the Marantz SR7010 be able to play different sources in each room? I have attached a floorpan and some photos of how things currently look and many thanks for your help in advance

aMaZeInG

Sound very expensive to me but then we dont use Control 4. Give me a call on Monday and we can look at other options

Thanks for coming back to me and I will give you a call on Monday. The key is to have it all work easily for visitors and my wife without 10 remotes!

KemikViking

Stick with your idea of using Control4 you won't regret it. The latest version of software rocks. Native Airplay support, Deezer, hi-res screensavers on your touchscreen, the new SR260 is a fantastic remote.

I've got Control4 and love it

aMaZeInG

Stick with your idea of using Control4 you won't regret it. The latest version of software rocks. Native Airplay support, Deezer, hi-res screensavers on your touchscreen, the new SR260 is a fantastic remote.

I've got Control4 and love it

I am so glad you said that I am so looking forward to having it. It really does seem ideal as it can do everything from one system and still be easy to use for my wife and kids. I have multiple quotes coming in now and will decide next week who to go with!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
How are you/the Integrator planning to handle HD Audio in the TV only zones?

A single SKY box looks a bit limiting when you are spending so much on the Distribution?

What's the plan for bringing the TV audio in the Living room (or any Zone) back to the AVR?

How are you controlling the Consoles from the various zones?

UHD 4K - ensure you know how the system is going to operate when one or more of your Sink (Display) devices are not UHD compatible!

UHD 4K - ask about HDR and UHD 4K 60fps and what happens as those features appear!

Joe

aMaZeInG

How are you/the Integrator planning to handle HD Audio in the TV only zones?

A single SKY box looks a bit limiting when you are spending so much on the Distribution?

What's the plan for bringing the TV audio in the Living room (or any Zone) back to the AVR?

How are you controlling the Consoles from the various zones?

UHD 4K - ensure you know how the system is going to operate when one or more of your Sink (Display) devices are not UHD compatible!

UHD 4K - ask about HDR and UHD 4K 60fps and what happens as those features appear!

Joe

Hi Joe, you just proved why avforums is so great as most of the above I had not considered or asked so thank you for that! I have emailed across your questions to the installer so await the response. I have a vague idea on a couple of items...

A single SKY box looks a bit limiting when you are spending so much on the Distribution? When SKYQ is released I will definitely be going for that so for now everyone will have to watch the same channel. I am loathe to pay SKY any more money for multiroom unless you know of any other solutions?

How are you controlling the Consoles from the various zones? Console use is likely only to be in the living room, study or kitchen and I have tested it with both PS4 and XBOX ONE and it is fine distance wise. The issues I have are the KINECT and Camera on XBOX ONE RESPECTIVELY as they are wired but as the study and living room back onto each other I may just make a hole in the wall to feed the cable through which would be hidden low behind the sofa.

Thanks again and I will let you know what they come back with!

Many of the thngs Joe mentioned are why i wanted to chat with you about your options. So if you still want to give me a call i'm in the office all day

seb

shortyav

Control4 is so scalable and versatile, although you pick products that you are comfortable with to supply no two jobs are the same. The same goes for installers. It's important that you understand exactly what you need and what's being supplied. Your fit with the installer is also important. You need someone who you are confident that understands and has the ability to deliver your needs. Often pricing should be secondary to this. @ 30ph 60 hrs is £1800 that makes the kit effectively shy of £10k which considering what's been quoted is some where in the ballpark, however the quote also leaves a few questions. Have you got any further?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom