Is constant running fan still an issue?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by bazzae123, Jan 20, 2005.

1. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recently my Panasonic Tu-DSB30 has started to lock up or fail to come out of standby resulting in a power reset to cue it. I would like to know if I upgraded to a Sky plus is the fan issue of it constantly being on still causing problems with noise? I did try Sky+ a year ago but the fan noise drove me made so I took it back and put my old Panny system in.

Bazza

2. Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Mine certainly runs most of the time, but its v quite and only noticable when everything else is turned off in the house (a rare occurence to not have some music playing).

I understand from reading posts this was caused by a software upgrade designed to reduce the failure of HDD due to overheating.

3. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Scapegoat,

I phoned Sky yesterday and told them I wasn't very happy with the thought of paying out for a new Box to cure a problem with my Panasonic which I believe may have been caused by a resent software update ( having read various threads on TU-DSB30). One guy said that he threatened to cancel his subscription so they sent him a new box for free so I tried that. Bingo, new box arrives on Saturday free and with a years warranty. It's a shame about the Sky+ fan issue though. I remember when I tried out the Sky+ the noise was quite loud in my living room and eventually it was driving me mad.

Bazza

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The fan on my box isn't particularly loud. In the days before I upgraded the HDD, and the fan stayed on, I had trouble deciding whether the fan was running or not, because the fan isn't much noisier than the HDD. The surface you stand the box on can make a big difference to the sound from the box, because thin wooden shelves can act as a resonator.

5. davidcotton

davidcotton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The fan on my pace box comes on most of the time, being in a bedroom it is quite noticeable. Sometimes it comes on in the middle of the night when it hasn't been used for a couple of hours! I always check the back and if its cool air coming out then I always unplug the box as I need a good nights sleep more than the (occaisional!) recordings I make during the night :)

6. Dickdastardly

Dickdastardly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personally think it's better now the fan is on constantly. I really used to notice it when it switched on or off.
    Incidently, I recon the noise is more the airflow through the side vents than the fan itself. I ran mine for a while with the cover off, and it was considerably quieter.
    I'm still considering cutting a 3" hole in the top and fitting a chrome grid. I have done this with some success on my PC case. Has anyone ever tried it with a Sky+ box?

7. davidcotton

davidcotton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    only problem with that is it will invalidate the warranty (assuming its still valid of course).

8. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    THe sky+ sounds like a jumbo jet when upgraded to a 160 drive. Fan on all the time. Until I put one of the drives from the sky+ 160 in it (a maxtor 4R160LO) Now the fan comes on rarely and I dont mind as much when it does sound like a jumbo.