1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is constant running fan still an issue?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by bazzae123, Jan 20, 2005.

1. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recently my Panasonic Tu-DSB30 has started to lock up or fail to come out of standby resulting in a power reset to cue it. I would like to know if I upgraded to a Sky plus is the fan issue of it constantly being on still causing problems with noise? I did try Sky+ a year ago but the fan noise drove me made so I took it back and put my old Panny system in.

Bazza

2. Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Mine certainly runs most of the time, but its v quite and only noticable when everything else is turned off in the house (a rare occurence to not have some music playing).

I understand from reading posts this was caused by a software upgrade designed to reduce the failure of HDD due to overheating.

3. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Scapegoat,

I phoned Sky yesterday and told them I wasn't very happy with the thought of paying out for a new Box to cure a problem with my Panasonic which I believe may have been caused by a resent software update ( having read various threads on TU-DSB30). One guy said that he threatened to cancel his subscription so they sent him a new box for free so I tried that. Bingo, new box arrives on Saturday free and with a years warranty. It's a shame about the Sky+ fan issue though. I remember when I tried out the Sky+ the noise was quite loud in my living room and eventually it was driving me mad.

Bazza

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The fan on my box isn't particularly loud. In the days before I upgraded the HDD, and the fan stayed on, I had trouble deciding whether the fan was running or not, because the fan isn't much noisier than the HDD. The surface you stand the box on can make a big difference to the sound from the box, because thin wooden shelves can act as a resonator.

5. davidcotton

davidcotton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The fan on my pace box comes on most of the time, being in a bedroom it is quite noticeable. Sometimes it comes on in the middle of the night when it hasn't been used for a couple of hours! I always check the back and if its cool air coming out then I always unplug the box as I need a good nights sleep more than the (occaisional!) recordings I make during the night :)

6. Dickdastardly

Dickdastardly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personally think it's better now the fan is on constantly. I really used to notice it when it switched on or off.
    Incidently, I recon the noise is more the airflow through the side vents than the fan itself. I ran mine for a while with the cover off, and it was considerably quieter.
    I'm still considering cutting a 3" hole in the top and fitting a chrome grid. I have done this with some success on my PC case. Has anyone ever tried it with a Sky+ box?

7. davidcotton

davidcotton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    only problem with that is it will invalidate the warranty (assuming its still valid of course).

8. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    THe sky+ sounds like a jumbo jet when upgraded to a 160 drive. Fan on all the time. Until I put one of the drives from the sky+ 160 in it (a maxtor 4R160LO) Now the fan comes on rarely and I dont mind as much when it does sound like a jumbo.